Tesla to open charging network

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have any of you used the Tesla destination chargers with an adapter? How did that work for you? Was the cable at the destination charger long enough? How much were you charged? Was it a matter of just swiping a credit card?
Gen2 are 24' long, Gen3 are 18' long. Plug n play, no pay.
Sponsored

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Instead of relying on Tesla chargers for MachE and future non-Tesla EVs, I would rather EA stepping up and build the equivalent network to super charger.
According to EA plans they should double the number of installations by 2025 reaching 10,000 plugs. They would still need an order of magnitude more to get to the parity with gas stations. Tesla infrastructure is just too little and outdated to make a difference.

Old Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EX, RW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I looked at the locations of the destination chargers. Most appear to be located at hotels/motels and for guests. Kind of of limits their usefulness during a road trip.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I looked at the locations of the destination chargers. Most appear to be located at hotels/motels and for guests. Kind of of limits their usefulness during a road trip.
That's what they are designed for, it's not designed to be a fast charging road trip type charger. You use the fast charging network to get to where you're going and then some sort of L2 charger where you're staying to keep topped up.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
That's the nicest way to say it :)

No, they were not grants but payments from FCA and other companies buying CO2 credits because of government legislation to reduce greenhouse gases through severe financial penalties. There is a very big difference: taxpayers are not paying Tesla to build EV's but rather other manufacturers are paying Tesla due to a lack of building their own EV's. FCA, VW, Ford, and every other manufacturer have the choice of paying big fines, big fees, or building EV's. Note that the government strategy is working because ALL of those manufacturers are now scrambling to have EV's on the market instead of gas/diesel powered pollution machines.
How is that taxpayers are not paying? Directly or indirectly everything is paid by taxpayers, there are no other payers. Even when government prints money, the burden is still on people. The only thing government regulations can do is redistribute who is paying and who's gaining, nothing more.

HDer

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
InfiniteBlueRt1, 07XterraManual
Country flag
Instead of relying on Tesla chargers for MachE and future non-Tesla EVs, I would rather EA stepping up and build the equivalent network to super charger.
Yeah I'd be the first to be wary about putting all of our eggs into our Savior Elon's basket. EA's finally gaining some traction and now it looks like Tesla's trying to cut them off at the knees.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Sorry, but this last quarter has shown the model 3 & y make money. Please consult current numbers. And, given that one will pay for charger use, what's the downside? It's a win for everyone. And the likelihood of CCS cars "overtaking Tesla"? Who's even remotely close enough to do that (unclear what that even means)? He's going to do well by doing good. Simple. And it may even force EA to get it's act together.
What’s the best selling smartphone model? What’s the best selling smartphone operating system? Why?

there is no way that an individual company can outsell a large group of companies over the long run. The Jeep Grand Cherokee plant alone builds over 300,000 vehicles per year, and that’s only 1 plant. Tesla can’t out build 50 plants with that kind of throughput. It might be 4 or 5 more years before Tesla is no longer the #1 seller by brand, but it won’t be much more than that. And if you look at ev sales, they likely have the majority of sales for less time than that. There are too many vehicles coming that are better suited to the bulk if buyers.

that is not a knock on Tesla, it is simply reality.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
The charge port is on the left rear of my Tesla.
The charge port is on the left front of my Mach-E.
I doubt if it would reach if you back in like a Tesla does.
However if you front in it would probably reach.
I'm not going to do a 20 mile round trip to test it.
There's no way it'll reach. Even on a Tesla, you have to back it in perfectly and it will just reach, which is kind of good because there's never a spaghetti of excess wires. I have not visited a EA charging station yet, but I imagine it's not going to be nearly as elegant as a Tesla supercharger. IIRC I think I read somewhere that Tesla had offered to let other manufacturers to use their charge port but no one took them up on the offer. Too bad. I highly doubt Tesla is going to retrofit all their chargers with a CCS cable.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I could see a CCS tap. Better yet would be an aftermarket charge port for the Mustang that replaces the factory with both port types on it. There should be enough room behind that door.

Tesla would only really need to deploy longer cables on a percentage of new charge stations and use long cables as replacements as the old short cables fail.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I could see a CCS tap. Better yet would be an aftermarket charge port for the Mustang that replaces the factory with both port types on it. There should be enough room behind that door.

Tesla would only really need to deploy longer cables on a percentage of new charge stations and use long cables as replacements as the old short cables fail.
I'd be curious about a CCS tap that is X amount of feet in length to overcome the distance. Seems like it would be the easiest solution if it works. The worst part would be storing it in the car.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This would be a nightmare to keep track of without using 3rd party apps to determine which Tesla superchargers would be updated to work on all vehicles. It's definitely doable but a lot of work to get started and to maintain.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
I highly doubt Tesla is going to retrofit all their chargers with a CCS cable.
Oh! I wouldn't be so sure about that. EU brought them to their senses in one fell swoop. I bet you there will be CCS based strings attached to any FED dollars TSLA gets. Remember Nissan, they swore by Chaedomo and yet were ground down.

Its not everywhere but the CCS design does allow for spring suspended cables. They were super easy to use. The short TSLA charge cable is obsolete to be honest. Not applicable to the wider market.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network 1626964968636

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
I could see a CCS tap.
There already is and the TSLA folks are hogging the CCS chargers in my area, esp, the convenient ones near highways!

This is the future for all TSLA owners.;)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network 1626965171596
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network 1626965317733

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
So who’s going to take one for the team and drive their Mach-e to a Supercharger station and pull it straight in as close as is safe to see just how short Elon’s electrons are? ;)
Sponsored