blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
So who’s going to take one for the team and drive their Mach-e to a Supercharger station and pull it straight in as close as is safe to see just how short Elon’s electrons are? ;)
While at the same time pulling the cable from the station next to their parking spot to check the length and charge with a Tesla tap, pissing off every Tesla owners to the maximum degree while taking up two charging station spaces.

When you see their faces turning red just be sure to tell as loud as possible "WELCOME TO YOUR FUTURE"
Sponsored

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In Europe, Tesla added a CCS2 cable to the superchargers, so both the Model S and X with the proprietary plug and the Model 3 with CCS2 plug can use the supercharger.
Tesla has to replace the cables on the superchargers as part of the maintenance (I have no idea on what frequency or schedule this is done), so changing to dual cables supporting both CCS1 and current Tesla plug would not be so difficult. In the interim, an adapter could be offered, but this could have a kW limit and probably not inexpensive.
Another limitation is there is no support for point of sale payments with the superchargers, all payment validation is done on Tesla backend. I would think that this will limit use of the chargers only to vehicles that support plug and charge protocol.
I see opening the supercharger network as a complement to EA and other DCFC networks. The more, the better as it helps push forward EV transition. Will it solve all range and trip anxiety in an EV? No, but it will move closer in that direction.

Deleted member 3569

So now it makes you wonder if they are gonna just sell some part to let you connect to their plug (more money for them), or I should finally get a teslatap
"Tesla tap" only works on Tesla "destination chargers" which is essentially a Level 2 EVSE 240v 32A. In the recently opened Revel superhub in the old historic Pfizer building in Mercy St, Brooklyn they got J7712 plugs and CHAdeMo w/Tesla proprietary plugs. At this particular site, the first in the US where you can Tesla (not V3) and any non-Tesla EV's .... truly amazing !!!.
The photo below is a (Chinese made) Tesla tap which I got from eBay and I was able to charge from hotel's Tesla destination chargers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network adapter(a7)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network adpater(a5)

Last edited by a moderator:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I'm still waiting to see Teslas with the swappable batteries Elon promised back in 2013!

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm still waiting to see Teslas with the swappable batteries Elon promised back in 2013!
They had a single battery swap station in CA I think half way between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It didn't last very long.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
"Tesla tap" only works on Tesla "destination chargers" which is essentially a Level 2 EVSE 240v 32A. In the recently opened Revel superhub in the old historic Pfizer building in Mercy St, Brooklyn which is basically a Tesla Supercharger set up, however they have chaDeMo plugs in addition to standard Tesla plugs, on ChaDeMo plugs they adapted to J7112. At this particular site which is the first in the US where you can Tesla and any non-Tesla EV's .... truly amazing !!!.
The photo below is a (Chinese made) Tesla tap which I got from eBay and I was able to charge from hotel's Tesla destination chargers.

Reading this, I thought you were suggesting that the Revel charging location has CHAdeMO plugs that let you adapt to J1772 with a device you bought from China that has a Tesla connector on it. ?

Needless to say I was very confused. ?

So I looked it up. It's actually a very impressive site in Brooklyn, NY with free parking for up to 25 or 26 vehicles at 75 kW DC charging stalls.

None of the stalls have AC charging with J1772. All have CCS (DC charging for the Mach-E). Paired with that, a few have CHAdeMO (DC charging for Leaf and a few older cars). The remainder pair CCS with Tesla connectors for Tesla (and potentially Revel) vehicles.

Interestingly, the Tesla connections are limited to 50kW charge rates. This is the same limitation when using Tesla's official CHAdeMO adapter. Maybe Tritium embeds a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter within the cabinet?

https://www.plugshare.com/location/325597

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network Screenshot_20210725-092550

Deleted member 3569

Reading this, I thought you were suggesting that the Revel charging location has CHAdeMO plugs that let you adapt to J1772 with a device you bought from China that has a Tesla connector on it. ?

Needless to say I was very confused. ?

So I looked it up. It's actually a very impressive site in Brooklyn, NY with free parking for up to 25 or 26 vehicles at 75 kW DC charging stalls.

None of the stalls have AC charging with J1772. All have CCS (DC charging for the Mach-E). Paired with that, a few have CHAdeMO (DC charging for Leaf and a few older cars). The remainder pair CCS with Tesla connectors for Tesla (and potentially Revel) vehicles.

Interestingly, the Tesla connections are limited to 50kW charge rates. This is the same limitation when using Tesla's official CHAdeMO adapter. Maybe Tritium embeds a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter within the cabinet?

https://www.plugshare.com/location/325597

Screenshot_20210725-092550.png
my bad ... I misspoke; you are correct it is J7112 plugs in general at this superhub plus CHAdeMo to Tesla adapters. The one I got works only for Tesla destination chargers (Level 2).
What this Superhub will do for me is enable be to go from Poconos to JFK airport to pick up friends flying from overseas, do a quick charge in Brooklyn and go back thus avoiding any charging in Northern NJ.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
my bad ... I misspoke; you are correct it is J7112 plugs in general at this superhub plus CHAdeMo to Tesla adapters. The one I got works only for Tesla destination chargers (Level 2).
What this Superhub will do for me is enable be to go from Poconos to JFK airport to pick up friends flying from overseas, do a quick charge in Brooklyn and go back thus avoiding any charging in Northern NJ.
I've gotta ask. Your profile says florida:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network 1627249082932

So do you actually drive 1500 miles to pick up friends at JFK? ?

OK, I'm assuming you're a snowbird who lives in New England also...

Deleted member 3569

I've gotta ask. Your profile says florida:
1627249082932.png

So do you actually drive 1500 miles to pick up friends at JFK? ?

OK, I'm assuming you're a snowbird who lives in New England also...
good observation ... I take autoTrain from Lorton down to Sanford, and plan to go back up to NJ again shortly.
PS: so far EA's are pretty evenly spread along I-95 corridor, I have yet to make the 1,100+ miles from FL to NJ on a EV.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
good observation ... I take autoTrain from Lorton down to Sanford, and plan to go back up to NJ again shortly.
PS: so far EA's are pretty evenly spread along I-95 corridor, I have yet to make the 1,100+ miles from FL to NJ on a EV.
The wife and I have done that before, and in fact we're planning to drive scarlett down in late september and take the auto train back mid october. To check off a bucket list item we're driving down through atlanta so we can swim with the whale sharks while that is still available, but I don't want to drive in both directions. In between we're taking a cruise out of port canaveral

Staciahahn

First Name
Stacia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
What adapter is recommended to buy?
Are you asking about an adapter for the Tesla Supercharger or the Tesla Destination Charger?
There is no adapter available for Superchargers and so far there has been no announcement from Tesla for designing and selling one.
There are third party adapters to use with a Tesla Destination Charger / Tesla Wall Connector (they are essentially the same thing, a 240 V hardwired EVSE that can be set at various amps). Here's one link to previous discussions on this:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ask-an-electrical-engineer.4307/post-129130

You can also do a forum search for TeslaTap and Tesla adapter to find other discussions.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It won't reach the MME port.
It's barely long enough to reach the Tesla port on the left rear (sorry, I don't have any photos of the angle).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network 1627249082932
In this pic, if you had a MME parked nose first, I think it would easily reach. The problem would just be if a tesla was next to you that one would be used already.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network 1627325519114
Sponsored