Tesla to open charging network

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In this pic, if you had a MME parked nose first, I think it would easily reach. The problem would just be if a tesla was next to you that one would be used already.

1627325519114.png
Correct, which I mentioned in an earlier post. This method would take up 2 charging spots and probably would get posted over social media making every Mach-E look bad. It's already bad enough gas cars are taking up spots, it wouldn't be good for the community for other EVs to do the same.

Greddy1

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Grabber Blue First Editio
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
"Tesla tap" only works on Tesla "destination chargers" which is essentially a Level 2 EVSE 240v 32A. In the recently opened Revel superhub in the old historic Pfizer building in Mercy St, Brooklyn they got J7712 plugs and CHAdeMo w/Tesla proprietary plugs. At this particular site, the first in the US where you can Tesla (not V3) and any non-Tesla EV's .... truly amazing !!!.
The photo below is a (Chinese made) Tesla tap which I got from eBay and I was able to charge from hotel's Tesla destination chargers.

adapter(a7).jpg

adpater(a5).jpg
how much was your ebay tesla tap?

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag

Killroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Zero SR, Chevy Volt
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Elon: "We created our own connector, as there was no standard back then."
Reality: CARB adopted the J1772-2001 connector standard in 2001. The Roadster (2006) had a J1772-2009 adapter. Superchargers/Tesla's proprietary connector were introduced in 2012.

Elon is always disingenuous. I don't trust a single word he says.
Tesla crated a connector that does AC and DC fast charging up to ~300 kW now in one slim connector.

The design of the CCS works but it's an industrial design fail. Way to hamstring EVs SAE. ?

Killroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Zero SR, Chevy Volt
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
you are all correct. He is playing the money game. He can get some free carbon credits and sell this to other businesses that are not automobiles. He is not doing it for kindness but money money handouts and business. Tesla fans, well he won't ever do it, well ok ok it will cost more, ok ok well the cords are too short. He is going to do whatever he has to do to find a way for it to work and make money. The real truth to it is. Well screw you tesla people, my name is Elon money musk and I'm about the money like the rest of the money makers.

What did he say on Saturday night live after question and question about dogecoin? That's right in the end it's all just a hustle. Nothing new here tesla boys. Elon is here to hustle.

Kinda like that 8,000 to 10,000 tesla add on right.
If a for profit takes advantage of a government incentive, does that company deserve criticism or does the government? Don't hate the player. Hate the game. haha

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
There is a fundamental design flaw in the design/location of the Tesla supercharger where the mere addition of something like a bike rack makes the charger completely inaccessible even to other Tesla owners. Heaven forbid they ever want to change the location of the charger port on a future model.

model-x-supercharger-e1465213021232.jpg

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Some more information from the 7/26 2nd quarter results release:

https://electrek.co/2021/07/26/elon-musk-explains-tesla-open-supercharger-network/

Maybe the Tesla to CCS1 adapter mentioned will increase the length enough to reach the charging port without blocking any adjacent spots. This will still be an issue in some locations, depending on how close the parking block is to the charging station. ID.4 owners will have same issue as the charging port is on right rear instead of left front, either case it will be a reach. The Supercharger cables are not long enough to hit the ground when plugged in to the Tesla vehicles, so as is, they will not reach to other side of vehicle without some additional length on an adapter.

Deleted member 3569

how much was your ebay tesla tap?
I bid at $149 and won the bid. It was a crap shoot ... I received in a factory fresh packaging and it was brand new. I tested at one of local hotel Tesla "destination" charges and it worked !!!

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The source that is used is Teslarati - likely one of the biggest fanboi sites in the world. I guess if you view it in geologic time it might make $25B, but that would be extremely optimistic.
The numbers are from JP Morgan, I believe.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a fundamental design flaw in the design/location of the Tesla supercharger where the mere addition of something like a bike rack makes the charger completely inaccessible even to other Tesla owners. Heaven forbid they ever want to change the location of the charger port on a future model.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network model-x-supercharger-e1465213021232
Most locations have at least one for people towing or with bike racks, allowing them to pull in instead of back up.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network 1627350205620

Locations where there is more space, these are the setups they are going with to allow for both backing in and pulling in.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network 1627350298467

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
The numbers are from JP Morgan, I believe.
Funny analysis - all the quotes I can find are sourcing Teslarati who quotes Goldman Sachs. I know some people at GS and will reach out to see if this is accurate. I also see that it assumes that Tesla grows their network by 2000%. What is not stated is that this would have to happen without competitors also getting in the game. Having been involved in a gas station sale a few years ago and having worked with Chevron in my past I think these guys are sniffing around to see what they need to do to keep revenue. These big oil companies didn't get as huge as they are by ignoring the trends and future predictions. That, and they have the capital to get involved where the car companies don't. I predict that Ford, GM, etc will invest in batteries and improved motor technology rather than electric distribution and EVSEs.

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Locations where there is more space, these are the setups they are going with to allow for both backing in and pulling in.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network 1627350298467
The ones that are setup more like a traditional gas station should be much better for non-Tesla vehicles, but they probably still need to extend the cables a bit.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I guess I don’t understand why we don’t, as a society, just make the decision to do the right thing and invest in the infrastructure ourselves (politicians that will actually lead for people) not relying on corporations or single individuals (eg Musk) to decide how we plan our future on this planet.
The same with clean energy. We need nuclear, wind and solar to take off and we can’t rely on re-regulating the markets to ensure that corporations or individuals make bets in technology in order to make tons of money. Fair compensation for the future of the planet and young generation. It’s the ONE thing we can’t screw up. Money and markets are all fungible but the planet? Not so much. The planet will be fine btw, it’s just a matter of whether or not we want to stick around on this blue rock.
My experience has been that politicians aren’t any smarter than corporations or single individuals (eg Musk)
Sponsored