DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Sorry for your misfortune. You could try and see if a repair will work. I doubt that it would, but your insurance company will likely pay for this. I've been surprised more than once at what they can do these days, though even it if looks good there is nothing guaranteed.

If you do replace the windshield make sure they do it with an OEM windshield. If it's an aftermarket windshield it may fit the opening but won't have the same lines, which can create issues.
Sponsored

sandrift

First Name
V.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue MME AWD ER; Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
La Crescenta to El Segundo. 210 to the 2 to the 5 to the 110 to the 105.
OUCH. I'm familiar with much of this route from my college days at Oxy -- in our case, "the 2 to the 5 to the 110 to the 10 to the 405" was the mantra for a beach trip. Only when I left CA did people point out to me that CA folks are just about the only ones who talk about freeways as "the 5" instead of "I-5" like almost everywhere else. And then I learned that my 70-something aunt who'd lived in Whittier/West Covina for decades didn't know the numbers, only the names, e.g., "Foothill Fwy" or "Golden State Fwy". LOL!

Last edited:

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think it should be mandatory all vehicles have at least rear mud flaps to help prevent this. So ridiculous.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Supposedly Safelite recalibrates it. Quote I received from them was about $1100. But with my insurance it would be just $500.
SafeLite does recalibrate camera.

ConejoRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Route 1 Mach-E, Chevrolet Volt
Country flag
I’m debating whether or not to get the sticker. I have a Fasttrak which helps and bringing my future kid to the child development center will allow me to use the carpool lane later on. But I can’t justify putting a big sticker on the car. Maybe if I throw it on a magnet and just put the magnet on when I need it.
We plan on getting the sticker and then just putting it in the glovebox. Did that with our Volt and never actually needed to put it on (it was only $8 when we got the volt, $22 now). Usually, there are two of us in the car anyway so have not needed an actual sticker, but want to have it just in case we have a change in commutes. Also good to have for resale purposes. Apparently, the current sticker for 2021 is blue to that helps with the decision and should be a bit less obvious :) .

Raybdc97

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Na
Country flag
South Carolina is one of the few states my insurance (USAA) waives or reduces the price. Unfortunately CA is not one of those states. Also they have a contract with Safelite to replace windshields. Idk if I really trust anyone besides Ford to replace it at this point.
I too just had this happen...the 2nd day on the road...

It Sux but Insurance will cover it after your deductible in CA

My ins (AAA) uses Safelite too, but we are to take it too anyone we choose. The company we went with swears they can order the window directly from ford. If its not exact, with ford logo and all...they getting sent away.

My best,
Ray

Reactions: UW2

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Only when I left CA did people point out to me that CA folks are just about the only ones who talk about freeways as "the 5" instead of "I-5" like almost everywhere else.
We do that in Western NY, too (the 90, the 33, the 198)

OP
OP
KCole21

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium extended range RWD Mach E
Country flag
OUCH. I'm familiar with much of this route from my college days at Oxy -- in our case, "the 2 to the 5 to the 110 to the 10 to the 405" was the mantra for a beach trip. Only when I left CA did people point out to me that CA folks are just about the only ones who talk about freeways as "the 5" instead of "I-5" like almost everywhere else. And then I learned that my 70-something aunt who'd lived in Whittier/West Covina for decades didn't know the numbers, only the names, e.g., "Foothill Fwy" or "Golden State Fwy". LOL!
I figured this out after being in the military. I never realized it before joining and I was called out on it a lot while in. I actually ended up changing the way I gave directions and would use this little trick to figure out if someone was from CA in the military. Once I moved back a few years ago I kind of embraced it again since everyone say the....

OP
OP
KCole21

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
SafeLite does recalibrate camera.
I was just a little hesitant going with them thinking that they didn’t have the proper experience with the ME. But then my local dealership confirmed they outsource anyways for glass installation and recalibration. Plus this would be the first time doing it for a ME. Either way someone is about to get a new experience.

OP
OP
KCole21

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I too just had this happen...the 2nd day on the road...

It Sux but Insurance will cover it after your deductible in CA

My ins (AAA) uses Safelite too, but we are to take it too anyone we choose. The company we went with swears they can order the window directly from ford. If its not exact, with ford logo and all...they getting sent away.

My best,
Ray
Yeah I don’t expect to pay more than my deductible which isn’t terrible. USAA did tell me that they can’t guarantee they’ll cover all the costs after my deductible if I used anyone besides Safelite. They told me if I go with the dealership they’ve seen times where all of the labor wasn’t covered. This is making me lean to go with Safelite and at least I know I can still get it fixed if they mess up the installation or recalibration since it’ll be under warranty with USAA.

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OUCH, for sure! Very sorry to see this happen to you!

I've had similar but not a large events like this happen to me a few times, but they have receded into the past. I feel your pain!

smp

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I know a few people have experienced this but it still hurts. I’ve had my ME for three weeks now and just got it back from being wrapped plus a few other things a few days ago. Driving on the 210 carpool lane today in LA a huge rock came up from the car in front of me. SMACK! Huge crack now right on the passenger side windshield. Luckily I wasn’t tailing the car and it didn’t come through. My wife was sleeping in the passenger front seat and it surely would have hit her. It sucks, but it could always be worse. At least no one was hurt. Now to go through the painful process of ordering/paying for a new windshield from Ford as I’m almost positive this isn’t covered under warranty.

EEA24B15-C83A-4726-8EF1-0BE83060F952.jpeg

273C57A9-9403-4962-B038-BA813B379074.jpeg

57990CE6-085F-482E-BC3C-5FFB97CAEE36.jpeg

365FD0C5-134F-4B5B-A0AA-43D810632417.jpeg
You made it further than I did.
My windshield took a stone on day 3 and cracked halfway up the glass in my side of the car.
You might as well have the dealer replace the glass because the cameras have to be calibrated anyway. Just make sure they have the glass in hand BEFORE they remove your existing windshield. My dealer messed that up somehow and it was stuck there for a week while we waited for the glass to come in. The glass had been ordered about 3 weeks earlier so you might have a wait on your hands. You might want to put some clear packaging tape on it to keep that crack from getting worse. (not sure if that really helps though......couldn't hurt I guess)

If you can find a giant Band-Aid.....have a little fun with it while you wait for your glass to come in. :) ?

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I was just a little hesitant going with them thinking that they didn’t have the proper experience with the ME. But then my local dealership confirmed they outsource anyways for glass installation and recalibration. Plus this would be the first time doing it for a ME. Either way someone is about to get a new experience.
I know person who sued them for the MachE and the installation and calibration were top notch.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
South Carolina is one of the few states my insurance (USAA) waives or reduces the price. Unfortunately CA is not one of those states. Also they have a contract with Safelite to replace windshields. Idk if I really trust anyone besides Ford to replace it at this point.
Any Ford dealer will call in a glass shop to install their glass. It's rare to find that skill in a ordinary mechanic.
Sponsored