KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium extended range RWD Mach E
Country flag
I know a few people have experienced this but it still hurts. I’ve had my ME for three weeks now and just got it back from being wrapped plus a few other things a few days ago. Driving on the 210 carpool lane today in LA a huge rock came up from the car in front of me. SMACK! Huge crack now right on the passenger side windshield. Luckily I wasn’t tailing the car and it didn’t come through. My wife was sleeping in the passenger front seat and it surely would have hit her. It sucks, but it could always be worse. At least no one was hurt. Now to go through the painful process of ordering/paying for a new windshield from Ford as I’m almost positive this isn’t covered under warranty.

Ford Mustang Mach-E This hurt EEA24B15-C83A-4726-8EF1-0BE83060F952

Ford Mustang Mach-E This hurt 273C57A9-9403-4962-B038-BA813B379074

Ford Mustang Mach-E This hurt 57990CE6-085F-482E-BC3C-5FFB97CAEE36

Ford Mustang Mach-E This hurt 365FD0C5-134F-4B5B-A0AA-43D810632417

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Looks more like a boulder! Sorry it happened but glad to hear everyone's ok.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yikes, that must have been one heck of a rock. You’re correct that it won’t be covered by your warranty, but it should be covered by your insurance. Depending on the rules in your state, you may have to just pay your comprehensive deductible.

OP
OP
KCole21

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Insurance will certainly cover this. In my state, SC, windshield replacements are completely free, 100% covered by insurance.
South Carolina is one of the few states my insurance (USAA) waives or reduces the price. Unfortunately CA is not one of those states. Also they have a contract with Safelite to replace windshields. Idk if I really trust anyone besides Ford to replace it at this point.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
South Carolina is one of the few states my insurance (USAA) waives or reduces the price. Unfortunately CA is not one of those states. Also they have a contract with Safelite to replace windshields. Idk if I really trust anyone besides Ford to replace it at this point.
It's really just a matter of making sure you get an OEM windshield. I have never heard of a dealer that does their own glass replacement. The job will be sublet to a glass company. Possibly Safelite. You'll probably get better service if you cut out the middleman.

OP
OP
KCole21

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yikes, that must have been one heck of a rock. You’re correct that it won’t be covered by your warranty, but it should be covered by your insurance. Depending on the rules in your state, you may have to just pay your comprehensive deductible.
Yeah I can go through my insurance to pay the comprehensive deductible, but I would have to use Safelite. I don’t really trust anyone besides Ford
It's really just a matter of making sure you get an OEM windshield. I have never heard of a dealer that does their own glass replacement. The job will be sublet to a glass company. Possibly Safelite. You'll probably get better service if you cut out the middleman.
Thanks for that. I tried to start the process with my insurance company and they don’t even list the ME as an option. This just led me to figure I’d have to go through Ford for everything and be reimbursed by my insurance company. I figure no matter which route I go it’ll be a wait to get an OEM windshield.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I'm sure this w/shield is oem only. Make sure to get a genuine glass. Aftermarket will not be close to the same, this is a IR w/shield.

Reactions: ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
That sucks, which part of the 210 were you on?

My insurance deductible is $1,000 so I would be all out of pocket for something like this if it happened to me.

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP
KCole21

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That sucks, which part of the 210 were you on?

My insurance deductible is $1,000 so I would be all out of pocket for something like this if it happened to me.
I was on the 210 west between Arcadia and Sierra Madre. My comprehensive deductible is $500 so it won’t kick my ass too much.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
I'm sure this w/shield is oem only. Make sure to get a genuine glass. Aftermarket will not be close to the same, this is a IR w/shield.
Can it be filled?

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
A lot of insurance companies will waive the deductible to have it fixed instead of replaced. From the pictures, that looks like it can be repaired.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
BTW, front windshields have laminated glass. It's pretty hard for a single rock to get all the way through, and also makes it repairable... generally side windows are not as safe, but they are also not hit as often...

Reactions: UW2

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The saddest part is that if you have to pay for it yourself there is around a $300 up charge to recalibrate the cameras in the upper part of the glass.

OP
OP
KCole21

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The saddest part is that if you have to pay for it yourself there is around a $300 up charge to recalibrate the cameras in the upper part of the glass.
Supposedly Safelite recalibrates it. Quote I received from them was about $1100. But with my insurance it would be just $500.
Sponsored