This is why Ford will be conservative rolling out OTA updates

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Yay I agree with @GoGoGadgetMachE on something! There is a BIG difference between a safety recall and fixing infotainment software bugs. The former requires a visit to the dealer. The latter should be fixed via OTA.

And Ford is so far not doing a good job of sending timely OTA bug fixes. /gamer mentality.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
If BlueCruise is not fully vetted why are cars shipping with it enabled right now?
While I think BC has it's issues, from my experience using it, I don't think FSD is in any way comparable to BC. BC is just ACC and LC with the added benefit of hands off. It's nothing more. Those technologies have been around for 10+ years in many mfgs and well vetted.

The biggest difference is the attention to the road which Ford ensures that you are doing. So assuming that there's an emergency vehicle on the road, you would take control. There's nothing in BC that claims it avoids Emergency Vehicles (would those be called EV's too??)

Last edited:

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
To those who think this is a gamer mentality being displayed I offer an alternative. It’s clear that many on this forum are employed in the software industry. Some are even responsible for shipping updates to 100’s of 1,000’s systems regularly site unseen to critical systems ?. We understand the risk and responsibility.

Oh and some of us aren’t gamers either.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I find it humorous that some people apparently are offended by being compared to gamers. My 45 year old daughter is a dedicated gamer and I respect her choices (as well as her mad skillz.) The comparison is not meant to be denigrating, it is meant to indicate the difference between an expectation of downloadable updates and patches to fix everything VS my expectation as a vehicle owner that serious issues should not be trusted to users as a download that is applied without experts available to monitor the results.

That is all.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Oh and some of us aren’t gamers either.
But what about those of us that played competitively for many years? I'm offended!

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
IMO, if the issue can be fixed with an OTA and verified via a closed loop communication with the Ford Hive Mind- it should be done that way 100% of the time. If it's a safety or security issue, it's all the more important to quickly get the fleet fixed. Why would a safety or security issue be better fixed at a later date, and in some cases a waaaaaay later date? The FHM (Ford Hive Mind) would know exactly which cars needed the update, and when they got them. The residual cars that didn't update for whatever reason would then be subject to a recall if required. I don't understand why you'd trust some dimwit (sorry Joe!) at a dealership over a closed loop update.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
But Blue Criuse has already been released (as has the latest update) on new already delivered cars. So . .

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
No disrespect to gamers intended. Just object to mischaracterizing anyone participating in Ford’s customer experience feedback loop.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
It's pretty clear that the administration will be harder on Tesla than Ford because Tesla is not a union company
This is not a Union vs non union thing. They are not being harder on Tesla because they are not union. They are being harder on Tesla because Tesla has a history of trying to cheat the rules and avoid doing things like recalls. They never for example issued a recall for the glass roof issue which they should of done.
So please do not make this a political thing about union vs non union. This nor previous administration have been harder on non union companies than union. We do not have to look farther than they are not hammer Honda or Toyota over things like this and neither one of those are Union. This is more about Tesla just being Tesla and being very cavalier at how they operate.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
it is meant to indicate the difference between an expectation of downloadable updates and patches to fix everything VS my expectation as a vehicle owner that serious issues should not be trusted to users as a download that is applied without experts available to monitor the results.
OTAs are not 'trusted to users as a download'. They're an automated process which hopefully report back of success so that Ford can track which vehicles have/don't have what installed. Using OTA is much, much more efficient than relying on dealers to do one car at a time. Something that's safety critical is much better handled in mass OTA than over several months filtering through dealer service centers. Many owners will also skip having a recall service due to the hassle of having to make an appointment and work their schedules around taking the car in.

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
Here are a couple of thoughts:
OTA updates can be pushed out, but does Ford know if every vehicle has received it? A combo notification (email, FordPass, snail mail) if they can't confirm it was successfully received and implemented. Ford is going to use download, update, test or revert to previous if fail.

We understand the EV department has a team that reads the forums. What's lacking is communication as to what's Ford's thinking on the issue. We all speculate "Ford is probably....", but where is the official statement from Ford? Something like "We at Ford have heard your concerns and have decided to tweak the OTA update prior to updating additional vehicles. Our anticipated OTA is in X days/weeks if all goes as planned."

The forum moderators should create a way for Ford to issue statements that get pushed to all participants of the forums/clubs etc.

Without the 2-way communication, we just speculate, moan groan and complain. Companies that used the mushroom theory (keep them in the dark and throw sh!t at them) can't build loyalty.
Sponsored