Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME R1
Occupation
Editor
Country flag
I wonder if Ford’s relationship with the dealer network plays a part in all of this. I don’t know how the relationship works, exactlybut it seems likely the dealership gets paid by Ford to execute any recall-related fixes, and would like to get paid for as many not-quite-a-recall fixes and upgrades as possible. So while Ford may be feeling pressure from its customers to follow Tesla’s lead with frequent OTAs, it may also be feeling pressure from its dealers to make sure they’re still getting paid.

That balancing act may also explain the janky ordering online process, with the direct to Ford order tacked onto the legacy dealership ordering process.

Lots of interests at play!
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I don't think the dealers have anything to do with the lack of OTA updates, or the stopping of the current one.

I think it's a 100% internal Ford Corporate issue.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I wonder if Ford’s relationship with the dealer network plays a part in all of this. I don’t know how the relationship works, exactlybut it seems likely the dealership gets paid by Ford to execute any recall-related fixes, and would like to get paid for as many not-quite-a-recall fixes and upgrades as possible. So while Ford may be feeling pressure from its customers to follow Tesla’s lead with frequent OTAs, it may also be feeling pressure from its dealers to make sure they’re still getting paid.

That balancing act may also explain the janky ordering online process, with the direct to Ford order tacked onto the legacy dealership ordering process.

Lots of interests at play!
Just a reminder that Ford dealers are Ford's customers. Ford does not sell to individuals, only to dealers.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I don't think the dealers have anything to do with the lack of OTA updates, or the stopping of the current one.

I think it's a 100% internal Ford Corporate issue.
The current one isn’t stopped, it’s just being rolled out very slowly.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The current one isn’t stopped, it’s just being rolled out very slowly.
I think it was stopped, now it has resumed slowly after a 2 week stop.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
The federal administration is taking a hard stance on Tesla's cavalier attitude toward OTA updates. Sending fixes to security issues requires Tesla to issue a recall which Tesla is reluctant to do. It's pretty clear that the administration will be harder on Tesla than Ford because Tesla is not a union company but I'm sure Ford is watching bigger brother Tesla closely and learning from Tesla's mistakes so as to not dirty their noses in the process sending out updates. You can bet that BlueCruise will be fully vetted before it's sent out.

https://komonews.com/amp/news/natio...as-us-seeks-answers-from-tesla-over-no-recall
BlueCruise is fully vetted. It is on the road right now. There is no legitimate reason to hold back on ota deliveries of it based on safety or software.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
without rehashing in detail for the 98th time, the belief is that unlike flashing at the factory, which is a controlled situation that can be easily caught and corrected if it goes wrong with no substantial customer impact, OTA is a different, much riskier process. We don't have proof of this belief, but it's a reasonable (IMHO) guess.

some folks (including me ?) believe that after a couple of these rollouts happen successfully, Ford will gain more confidence and be less conservative.
this is the thing I don't understand about so many folks having tighty whities in a bunch to hurry and get the 1.71 ota. None of the changes are earth shattering and better to roll it out in phases then all at once and find out it bricks a car.

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
BlueCruise is fully vetted. It is on the road right now. There is no legitimate reason to hold back on ota deliveries of it based on safety or software.
AFAIK Blue Cruise hasn't been released for OTA install. There's a big difference between a PC connected to the car by an experienced engineer installing the update and an unattended wifi connection installing the update many miles from an experienced engineer.

BlueCruise may be ready but the process of installing it perfectly remotely may not be. It could be a very complicated install that hasn't been automated yet. If the PAAK update requires a dealer install this might even be too complicated for dealers to install.

Is that a legitimate reason?

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
AFAIK Blue Cruise hasn't been released for OTA install. There's a big difference between a PC connected to the car by an experienced engineer installing the update and an unattended wifi connection installing the update many miles from an experienced engineer.

BlueCruise may be ready but the process of installing it perfectly remotely may not be. It could be a very complicated install that hasn't been automated yet. If the PAAK update requires a dealer install this might even be too complicated for dealers to install.

My point exactly.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Then they should also disable ACC and LC by your account? Because BC is simply those two systems, the same you have now. As someone who has BC, it's not all you might think it is. IMO, ACC and LC are much more effective than BC because they can be practically used anywhere you drive.

If I could give you my BC I would... It's not all that. I would not however give you my performance ;)
Well not to get off topic, but this IS the $600 question. @Ford Motor Company has not been forthcoming, despite my multiple inquiries, about whether BlueCruise provides any enhancement to accuracy of the current lane centering functionality.

A great many people on this board have speculated that the “LIDAR-mapping” of the highways is meant to improve the reliability of the lane centering. But that is purely speculation. Ford has never confirmed it. Reviews from you and others who have used BC seem to suggest that the highway mapping is only being used to create a geofence within which the hands free functionality is enabled, but it doesn’t actually enhance the lane centering.

If that’s all BC is - hands free usage of current lane centering tech within a geofence - then folks who didn’t already buy BC are better off with a $6 ankle weight on the wheel to trick the torque sensor. Either way, you still have to keep your eyes on the road, but one approach is one hundred fold less expensive.

Last edited:

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag

Keep in mind, there’s actually two pieces to this in play: sending the update, and billing us for it. It could be that Ford hasn’t figured out that second…. Lol I can’t even finish that bit. It’s the OTA piece. I’m sure Ford is more than ready to take our money.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Well not to get off topic, but this IS the $600 question. @Ford Motor Company has not been forthcoming, despite my multiple inquiries, about whether BlueCruise provides any enhancement to accuracy of the current lane centering functionality.

A great many people on this board have speculated that the “LIDAR-mapping” of the highways is meant to improve the reliability of the lane centering. But that is purely speculation. Ford has never confirmed it. Reviews from you and others who have used BC seem to suggest that the highway mapping is only being used to create a geofence within which the hands free functionality is enabled, but it doesn’t actually enhance the lane centering.

If that’s all BC is - hands free usage of current lane centering tech within a geofence - then folks who didn’t already buy BC are better off with a $6 ankle weight on the wheel to trick the torque sensor. Either way, you still have to keep your eyes on the road, but one approach is one hundred fold less expensive.

Let me explain from a background in AI tech and driving the car. This is in no way official and I understand that you would prefer that. Lane centering has different levels of correction. With BC enabled it's basically higher than high if that option existed. Professionally speaking, I see no use for LIDAR mapping in the current application of BC. The vehicle appears to use Lane markings only. When those markings disappear the system disengages. LIDAR is unable to see markings. I think Ford enabled BC on roads that are well marked. I believe GPS is in use to disengage the system where they feel reluctant to guide through certain known road conditions.

Hope that helps.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
re: dealers being paid by Ford. Yes, dealers are paid by Ford to perform recall or required maintenance, but they don't really make money on it. For example, when my MME was in for a software update it was on a TSB, the service manager grumbled that the TSB procedure took them 4 to 5 hours to accomplish, but that Ford only paid for 2.3 hours shop time.

If that is typical, then it's not like Ford is propping up their dealer service centers.
Sponsored