Tinting the panoramic roof

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
As a Sunny So Cal owner for 1+ years, the pano is never hot in the cabin. it *is* hot if you actually touch it. Hold your hand as close as an inch and you won't feel the heat.
18 months with the car in Hawaii. UV light is our specialty. No problems with heat or bright light here, not even in the perpetually hot summer weather in Kona.
Sponsored

RedDeadRegen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red GT-PE, Premium ER RWD (sold), mk7 GTI
Country flag
WIll do - I will start looking for one - really hated the glass over my head in hot sunny So Cal.

Been trying to get away from glass roofs for over 20 years driving BMWs, Land Rover, Merc, etc...
I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098RQWDBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed it this summer mainly to make it easier for the baby to nap on car rides. Took it out recently but will keep it for long car rides when I need to do everything to hope the kid will sleep. In the meantime it folds up into a thin bag and sits under the rear hatch storage floor

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Newb question: does the MME glass overhead have a sliding cover or cloth barrier between my head and glass ??
Definitely totally unnecessary. I’d say that you’re more likely to need a gas-powered generator in the frunk than any kind of shade for the pano roof.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Coming from Arizona I would recommend one of the fold out snap in covers at least when parking and I even use mine a lot in Arizona when I’m driving. It darkens Hey it the interior little and makes the gauges look better, and also reduces reflections on the windshield.

If you park your car in direct sunlight, it’s going to get hotter without something covering that roof no matter how reflective and UV fantastic folks say it is. After leaving my car in the sun for 4 hours I can notice a 20° difference by touching the roof and using a laser thermometer. Sun and light create heat no matter what

jes saying.
You sure you’re not measuring the temp of the glass?

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
Coming from Arizona I would recommend one of the fold out snap in covers at least when parking and I even use mine a lot in Arizona when I’m driving. It darkens Hey it the interior little and makes the gauges look better, and also reduces reflections on the windshield.

If you park your car in direct sunlight, it’s going to get hotter without something covering that roof no matter how reflective and UV fantastic folks say it is. After leaving my car in the sun for 4 hours I can notice a 20° difference by touching the roof and using a laser thermometer. Sun and light create heat no matter what

jes saying.
The roof glass is supposed to get hot, that's what the UV glass does. That's literally UV energy that is being stopped at the roofline and not coming down into your car, heating up the interior. The glass absorbs that energy, heats up, and radiates it back out. Most of it radiates upward, though you get some heat transfer into the cabin through conduction, it's fairly minimal. Same goes for a solid roof, cloth covering, or extra tint.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I've been in 113 temps here in SoCal this year and had no issue with the roof. Its lava hot if you touch it, but if you move your hand away from it its not really that hot. It does not seem to allow the heat to radiate through the roof, its some crazy Ford magic.

I personally think tinting it would be a waste of money, but to each their own. Would it help?? I guess if you bought some good tint it would, if you bought some generic stuff I doubt it.

Parasmoney

First Name
Paras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Some companies might not tint the roof. Apparently there are cases of glass shattering due to heat getting trapped between tint and glass. Don't know if it's been scientifically proven or not but just a heads up. I got my car in July and have not felt any excessive heat to warrant tints on the roof.

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
WIll do - I will start looking for one - really hated the glass over my head in hot sunny So Cal.

Been trying to get away from glass roofs for over 20 years driving BMWs, Land Rover, Merc, etc...
The husband has a Tesla, it does not heat up the car I mean if u touch it it’s hot, but it really doesn’t. Everyone here seems to say the same thing about the mme? Personally I like having a closeable one and/or a roof that opens would be nice too! Guess the select hard top had another bonus we will will not get with the converted order huh;) I like the idea of waiting to see if it’s an issue as someone else said…

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

I think you will find this a bit different

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
I put the 25% tint on the roof to reduce light, which it does. If it reduces the heat a little, all the better.

TsunmiBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD Ext Triple White
Country flag
Newb question: does the MME glass overhead have a sliding cover or cloth barrier between my head and glass ??
The Mach E does not have a sliding cloth cover. I have mine in AZ and haven’t seen a need for one (tinting is strong enough).

NiceandSimpleMache

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future 2023 Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Definitely totally unnecessary. I’d say that you’re more likely to need a gas-powered generator in the frunk than any kind of shade for the pano roof.
Any suggestion on the gas-powered generator for the frunk?
Sponsored