Tinting the panoramic roof

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
Here’s what I’m talking about. It’s called the blaze Ray and if you’re in Arizona, you really should have one because if you don’t think it’s getting hotter I’ve proven it is. It’s not a tint. Especially when you’re parking because that tinted panel gives off heat better when the car is moving but not so much when it’s sitting It keeps your car cooler. It makes it darker inside for the gauges to look better and it also prevents people from looking at stuff in your car and wanting to break in and there’s no reason not to have one.
Jes sayin

F166B084-3E03-47FE-8A15-7065FB3EF8B4.png
F166B084-3E03-47FE-8A15-7065FB3EF8B4.png

don't know if I got that brand but I got that same type of thing. The stock glass does a good job at heat even here in Florida summer high 90s it was fine, I got it for the visual sun blocking and its cheaper and removable vs tint for if you want it off when its not so sunny.

I got the gray or whatever and it matches the roof and pillars well

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Some companies might not tint the roof. Apparently there are cases of glass shattering due to heat getting trapped between tint and glass. Don't know if it's been scientifically proven or not but just a heads up. I got my car in July and have not felt any excessive heat to warrant tints on the roof.
We have double-pane windows and they specifically say DO NOT TINT them as it would get very hot between the panes and cause the seals to rupture and lose the inner gasses that insulate, making the double-pane into double-pain windows...

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
Good idea/bad idea/Unnecessary?
Unnecessary, I live in Sunny Southern California... 100 degrees is not uncommon... it's remarkably cool for a sunny day. Just my 2 cents

Cooghead

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Logistics company owner
Country flag
I live in a very hot part of the U.S. , the Houston Texas área. I have tinted my other vehicles sun roofs . I have not seen any reason to tint my roof on this vehicle . It stays cool.

RagingDork

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT Dark Matter Grey
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I live in Northern California and I didn’t notice any problems in 100+ weather. I did tint the rest of the windows though.

OP
OP
nmope

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
We have double-pane windows and they specifically say DO NOT TINT them as it would get very hot between the panes and cause the seals to rupture and lose the inner gasses that insulate, making the double-pane into double-pain windows...
Please share where does it say to not tint?

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Please share where does it say to not tint?
"
Caution With Double Pane Windows
Double pane windows are just that: two panes of glass that are sealed with a space in between, usually filled with a gas. These windows are beneficial for heat insulation, but adding window film to them can alter the solar properties and potentially damage the glass.

All films absorb a certain percentage of heat. If this added heat absorption gets trapped in between the two panes of glass, it can cause the seal to break, or even worse, the glass to shatter.

The biggest factor here is heat absorption. As a general rule, any film that has a Solar Heat Absorption rating of 50% or greater is NOT safe on dual pane glass. Be sure to double check this rating on any film you use if you are tinting insulated glass"

Because of your question, I did some looking around and found there are several types of tinting you CAN use on double-pane windows, (Auto-Glass Tint not being one of them)

Basically, you CAN tint double-pane windows if you use the proper tint.

My house is south facing as such gets the sun facing the front window all day from sun up to sun down, we tinted a poster sized piece of plastic and mounted it to the living room window to keep out the heat as well as a bit of privacy, looks like time to get the 'proper' tinting and just do the actual window.

kisonay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium AWD ER Mustang Mach-E Scheduled 10/3
Country flag
"
Caution With Double Pane Windows
Double pane windows are just that: two panes of glass that are sealed with a space in between, usually filled with a gas. These windows are beneficial for heat insulation, but adding window film to them can alter the solar properties and potentially damage the glass.

All films absorb a certain percentage of heat. If this added heat absorption gets trapped in between the two panes of glass, it can cause the seal to break, or even worse, the glass to shatter.

The biggest factor here is heat absorption. As a general rule, any film that has a Solar Heat Absorption rating of 50% or greater is NOT safe on dual pane glass. Be sure to double check this rating on any film you use if you are tinting insulated glass"

Because of your question, I did some looking around and found there are several types of tinting you CAN use on double-pane windows, (Auto-Glass Tint not being one of them)

Basically, you CAN tint double-pane windows if you use the proper tint.

My house is south facing as such gets the sun facing the front window all day from sun up to sun down, we tinted a poster sized piece of plastic and mounted it to the living room window to keep out the heat as well as a bit of privacy, looks like time to get the 'proper' tinting and just do the actual window.
AFAIK the pano roof is not double paned.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
AFAIK the pano roof is not double paned.
Yup, I was just talking about the fact that the poster was saying if you tint, the tint will hold the heat while the coating on the pano wouldn't

Then I followed up with, you shouldn't tint double-pane'd, but after I dug more, it's was not that you shouldn't tint double-pane'd windows, but instead, use correct tinting, so I posted a correction, caveat.

/the thread went off tangent with this post
Sponsored