Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
A very interesting article on the critical effect of tire pressure on ev driving range appeared Also effect of rolling resistance on battery charge efficiency.
SAE published an article with the search title " Tire pressure impact on EV driving range".
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They could also write an article about ICE MPG efficiency with respect to tire pressure :)

OP
OP

dssdmddmd

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Do note that the construction of the tire inner liner plays a role in keeping pressure over time.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
On a Chevy Volt forum, the owners recommended increasing tire pressures to improve both the MPG and electric range. I do this on all my gas cars and my present hybrid.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
On a Chevy Volt forum, the owners recommended increasing tire pressures to improve both the MPG and electric range. I do this on all my gas cars and my present hybrid.
Just remember this can also reduce handling and increase stopping distance.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Increasing pressure reduces rolling resistance by making the tire profile more "round" wearing on the center of the tread more than the side.

Lowering pressure puts more pressure on the shoulder improving grip but increasing resistance and wearing out the outer tread faster.

Pressure is very important to efficiency, but also to tire wear. If you want the best tire wear and efficiency you only want to adjust the pressure 2 or 3 psi higher for cold pressure. Much more than this and the center will wear out fast than the sholder of the tire requiring more frequent tire replacements than necessary.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am by no means a tire expert. I have a couple of years with running a street legal Hayabusa on a race track and learned a lot about tire tech during that time. It is amazing how fast a big bike can corner with the correct tires for the conditions.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tire pressure impact on EV driving range 874166154_tWPyU-O

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Pressure is very important to efficiency, but also to tire wear. If you want the best tire wear and efficiency you only want to adjust the pressure 2 or 3 psi higher for cold pressure. Much more than this and the center will wear out fast than the sholder of the tire requiring more frequent tire replacements than necessary.
Agree, you don't want to adjust the pressure more than ± a few psi from the door sticker placard or you can get odd wear and handling/braking problems.

Just check your tire pressure monthly, minor differences in pressure are only going to affect the range by a couple percent anyway.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agree, you don't want to adjust the pressure more than ± a few psi from the door sticker placard or you can get odd wear and handling/braking problems.

Just check your tire pressure monthly, minor differences in pressure are only going to affect the range by a couple percent anyway.
For me it's more about trying to make the ride a bit more comfortable (less jarring) around town. But yeah, I don't go more than 2-3 PSI from the 39 recommended. My targets are ~37 around home and ~41 for road trips.

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
I also change my tire pressure to allow for bad weather. If expecting snow, I lower to 37. I usually keep it at 41 otherwise. It seems like when we get our first big temp drop in weather, my tire pressure drops a little anyway. I just leave it there if snow is coming.

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E & 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Super
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I also change my tire pressure to allow for bad weather. If expecting snow, I lower to 37. I usually keep it at 41 otherwise. It seems like when we get our first big temp drop in weather, my tire pressure drops a little anyway. I just leave it there if snow is coming.
I had a tire shop tell me that in ice and snow conditions you should raise the tire pressure a little over recommended amount not lower pressure. They said it will give the tire more pounds per sq. inch with more air. Hadn’t heard that before. Any thoughts on this.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had a tire shop tell me that in ice and snow conditions you should raise the tire pressure a little over recommended amount not lower pressure. They said it will give the tire more pounds per sq. inch with more air. Hadn’t heard that before. Any thoughts on this.
The average psi ground pressure over the contact tire patch is equal to the psi of the air pressure inside the tire. For soft surface conditions, generally want to air-down, for hard surface conditions, increase pressure. I don't have much experience driving in snow/ice, so don't know which is best. Snow sounds soft, but ice is hard....
Sponsored