Towing with a Mach-E.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Towing a trailer doesn’t effect your payload. The only towing situations that would effect payload would be if you tow a fifth wheel or decide to hitch the trailer to the roof of the car (which isn’t very likely, road legal or safe). Just FYI.
All that really matters is that Ford states you can’t tow with it.
Totally incorrect.
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I use my MME as a Utility Vehicle.... commonly filling the Frunk and Cargo areas with tools and materials, and installed a hitch receiver mostly for my bike rack, but also the occasional trailering of materials to Job Site.

With careful loading, the Tongue weight is well under 300#, I usually shoot for 100-150#. Total payload runs 1000-1500# including trailer depending on load. I've had zero problems with towing, or stopping.... In fact can hardly feel the trailer.

Here are a couple shots with the MME and trailer loaded with tools and an entire Solar setup for a tiny house install off-grid. 6 panels, 8 batteries, charge controller, inverter, wire, tools.....

I LOVE showing up for a Solar Install in my MME!

This job I finished in the dark with the headlights on high beam shining in the door while I completed wiring for 4 hours... (used 1% of MME battery capacity)

loading for install 1.jpg

loading for install 2.jpg

arriving for install 3.jpg

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I use my MME as a Utility Vehicle.... commonly filling the Frunk and Cargo areas with tools and materials, and installed a hitch receiver mostly for my bike rack, but also the occasional trailering of materials to Job Site.

With careful loading, the Tongue weight is well under 300#, I usually shoot for 100-150#. Total payload runs 1000-1500# including trailer depending on load. I've had zero problems with towing, or stopping.... In fact can hardly feel the trailer.
Just to clarify terminology - the weight of the trailer, and its load is not payload that impacts your vehicle - it's the tongue weight of that trailer which you're keeping down. So long as you're not loading the vehicle, including you, plus that 100 - 150 pounds over the payload sticker number, you're good to go - with the exception that Ford says not to tow at all.

Of course, I wouldn't post that, nor pictures, along with my website because of potential liability issues down the road should an accident occur, but that's of course your decision. Seems like you've thought through how to be safe, which is something that most people don't do. ?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Just to clarify terminology - the weight of the trailer, and its load is not payload that impacts your vehicle - it's the tongue weight of that trailer which you're keeping down. So long as you're not loading the vehicle, including you, plus that 100 - 150 pounds over the payload sticker number, you're good to go - with the exception that Ford says not to tow at all.

Of course, I wouldn't post that, nor pictures, along with my website because of potential liability issues down the road should an accident occur, but that's of course your decision. Seems like you've thought through how to be safe, which is something that most people don't do. ?
The MME is usa rated for 1650lbs if I remember correctly. Meaning your within Ford stated limits. Thanks for the post, photos and encouragement for owners to make this more of an utility vehicle.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The MME is usa rated for 1650lbs if I remember correctly. Meaning your within Ford stated limits. Thanks for the post, photos and encouragement for owners to make this more of an utility vehicle.
Since Ford says no towing, it's not.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
the MME towing is pretty pathetic…a Subaru Outback and Model Y has rating of 3500lbs. I don’t know what parts ford went cheap on. This is basically a mid size SUV…it’s interesting the 2022 have an increase capacity…they didn’t change the car’s frame. I just find ford attempt to compete against Tesla pathetic, they had years of just watching Tesla and yet everything about the MME in term software and hardware is just inferior the only thing they have going for them is the look.
Sponsored