TSB 21-2206 Vibration/Pulsation From Brakes - Brake Pad Material Stuck To Rotor

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
my car had this issue it was covered, and no brake pad material was present on the rotor but the pads had broken up.
Mine too. The TSB says to look for visible brake pad material. If there's no visible brake pad material, it still may be covered. But if there is visible pad material, it definitely will be.
Sponsored

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Mine too. The TSB says to look for visible brake pad material. If there's no visible brake pad material, it still may be covered. But if there is visible pad material, it definitely will be.
The brake pad material does not stay on the rotors when the car is moving. Mine did stick to the rotors but by the time I brought it into the dealer, the material was gone. I also believe this is only for very early builds (job 1 cars)

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
The brake pad material does not stay on the rotors when the car is moving. Mine did stick to the rotors but by the time I brought it into the dealer, the material was gone. I also believe this is only for very early builds (job 1 cars)
Mine is definitely still there, sounds like a rumble strip when if I use the actual brakes instead of 1PD šŸ˜‚. The service advisor refused to tell me if it was covered without a a tech looking at it first. I know the brake pads are technically only covered for 10k miles or something and Iā€™m at 20k which is why I was trying to get a yes or no. Iā€™ll be pissed if they charge me a diagnostic fee since itā€™ll likely be a lot more than just getting the rotors resurfaced at the auto parts store haha.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Mine is definitely still there, sounds like a rumble strip when if I use the actual brakes instead of 1PD šŸ˜‚. The service advisor refused to tell me if it was covered without a a tech looking at it first. I know the brake pads are technically only covered for 10k miles or something and Iā€™m at 20k which is why I was trying to get a yes or no. Iā€™ll be pissed if they charge me a diagnostic fee since itā€™ll likely be a lot more than just getting the rotors resurfaced at the auto parts store haha.
I'd be tempted to do a few cycles of really aggressive braking from highway speed to nearly stopped to see if it clears away. If it does, great... no wasted time at the dealer... if it doesn't well... I sense an argument with the dealer as there are 20K miles on the car. Not fun.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Well the dealer refused to cover it. Said their systems shows that repair code as not covered. Not worth the hassle of dealing with Ford directly.

side note my pulsating brakes has shown me that with cruise control the brakes are applied to slow down every time, even just slightly. Which makes that 100% brake efficiency pop up completely false in cruise control lol.
Also, in 1PD with a cold battery the brakes are also applied automatically. Probably to keep regen feeling consistent. although they havenā€™t quite got it right.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Well the dealer refused to cover it. Said their systems shows that repair code as not covered. Not worth the hassle of dealing with Ford directly.

side note my pulsating brakes has shown me that with cruise control the brakes are applied to slow down every time, even just slightly. Which makes that 100% brake efficiency pop up completely false in cruise control lol.
Also, in 1PD with a cold battery the brakes are also applied automatically. Probably to keep regen feeling consistent. although they havenā€™t quite got it right.
I think I'm having the same issue as you. What did you end up doing to resolve the issue? Or are you just dealing with the rumble?

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I think I'm having the same issue as you. What did you end up doing to resolve the issue? Or are you just dealing with the rumble?
Pulled the wheel off and chipped away at the brake pad material with a razor blade scraper.

MachEUser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Apparently there is new TSB 22-2023 which cover this too. The dealer said they need to replace front pads and rotors but that it wouldn't be covered. Have 2021 with 30k miles so still under bumper to bumper. I had them discuss with Ford Warranty Administrator.

Bumper to bumper states brake pads are not covered but rotors appear to be. Any one have experience with this?

Also given TSB any one have luck/advice on getting this entire repair covered?

---------
  1. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover: (1) parts and labor needed to maintain the vehicle; and (2) the replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items. See your Ownerā€™s Manual. Some examples of maintenance and normal wear are:
  • fluids such as coolant, brake fluid, and lubricants
  • cabin air filters
  • tire rotation/inflation
  • cleaning/polishing
ā€¢ wiper blades*
ā€¢ wheel alignments and tire
balancing*
ā€¢ brake pad/lining*
* Ford will replace or adjust certain maintenance items when necessary, free of charge during a limited period:
  • Wiper blade replacements will be provided during the first six months in service, regardless of miles driven.
  • Wheel alignments and tire balancing will be provided during the first 12 months or 12,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first.
ā€¢ Brake pad/lining replacements will be provided during the first 12 months or 18,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first.

Attachments

Last edited:

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Hmm, wonder if this is what I'm feeling. If I'm 1pd driving and feel the car isn't going to stop in time to not put me in the intersection I apply brakes. At which point it feels like the ABS kicking in. I also have a significant hum from the front end that gets louder as I go faster. Above 75 she's humming pretty loud with a vibration I feel in the steering wheel. Just me? This brake pad issue does sound like it could be the cause of all 3 symptoms.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Yes, this happened to my vehicle. It's a Job 1 car built in February 2021. It happened at somewhere around 3500 miles. I remember the service advisor saying the cars produced in early 2021 were the ones affected. The cars like mine have an air groove cut down the middle of the pad Job 2 cars don't have the groove the thread listed TSB did not apply. I don't know anything about the 2nd TSB you listed.

I am curious when was your car manufactured? Can you confirm the pads have the center groove like the ones in the TSB?

Attached from the warranty manual

Screenshot 2023-01-18 130348.jpg

Last edited:

MachEUser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Yes, this happened to my vehicle. It's a Job 1 car built in February 2021. It happened at somewhere around 3500 miles. I remember the service advisor saying the cars produced in early 2021 were the ones affected. The cars like mine have an air groove cut down the middle of the pad Job 2 cars don't have the groove the thread listed TSB did not apply. I don't know anything about the 2nd TSB you listed.

Also, the pads are covered by the bumper-to-bumper is there is a milage, and time limit. Usually is a certain amount of months from the in-service date and a certain amount of miles, check the manual

Attached from the warranty manual

Screenshot 2023-01-18 130348.jpg
At 3500miles, I would expect them to change them under warranty. Just wondering what the experiences have been between the 12 month / 18k and the 3 yrs / 36k bumper to bumper

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
At 3500miles, I would expect them to change them under warranty. Just wondering what the experiences have been between the 12 month / 18k and the 3 yrs / 36k bumper to bumper
I would not expect them to be covered as the warranty states brake pads are an exception to the B2B warranty. Pads are a wear item and the way I am reading the warranty they only have a 12m 18k warranty.

My car currently has 24,000 miles on it if this TSB applied to my car and the work had never been done I would expect them to cover it under the TSB. If I was having an issue not covered by the TSB at 24,000 miles I would expect the calipers to be covered but the rotors and pads I wouldn't expect to be.

Last edited:

MachEUser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I would not expect them to be covered as the warranty states brake pads are an exception to the B2B warranty. Pads are a wear item and the way I am reading the warranty they only have a 12m 18k warranty.
What about rotors and in reality with 1 pedal driving there shouldnā€™t be this ā€œwearā€ so early on the pads and rotors. This is essentially due to design flaw in parts used in 2021 models

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
What about rotors and in reality with 1 pedal driving there shouldnā€™t be this ā€œwearā€ so early on the pads and rotors. This is essentially due to design flaw in parts used in 2021 models
1 petal drive doesn't really use the friction brakes. The flaw is the v groove on the brake pads in cars manufactured before June 6th 2021. If your car has the groove, is manufactured before 6-6-21 and like mine had pad material brake off and be stuck to the rotor creating a vibration then I would open a case. Here is another food for thought the dealer wants to do the work as they get paid by ford to do warranty work. if they don't think it's covered = they don't believe they would be reimbursed under the warranty. Considering they do lots of service work they have a good bet on what is and what is not covered.

It is possible the TSB applies and the dealer is looking at 34k miles and saying it's not covered anymore.

If you want to open a case if you feel it should be covered call the BEV team at Ford - (800) 392-3673 USA / (800) 565-3673 Canada (Closed on Weekends).

Good Luck and I hope it is covered for you!!

Last edited:

Albatross

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I had this happen to my 2021 Job 2 on January 26, 2023, and it was covered under TSB 22-2023. It happened around 4000 miles, but 14 months into ownership. They replaced the front brake pads and machine both front rotors. There was no charge. I also had TSB 22-2490 performed due to Shift Fault issue at the same time.

Issue was described by service tech as "Front brake pads coming apart. During inspection, found front brake pads material bonded on front rotors."
Sponsored