TSB 22-2265 - Wireless Accessory Charger Inoperative/Poor Performance With Magsafe Charging iPhones

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Update: My iPhone 12 mini was able to charge but still gets hot enough that on a 30 min trip the phone overheats. I was using car play / maps at the time. I've got a new iPhone 13 Max Pro so I'll see if it happens on this phone. Might end up just using cable to charge on trips....
It'll still overheat and sucks. I have an iPhone 13 Pro and just did a 50 mile trip to Sofi Stadium using CarPlay and maps and as I got closer to the stadium, which is a cluster f, I was trying to look at my turns on the phone so I picked it up and it was crazy, super hot. When I swiped to unlock the phone, it was super stuttering and the notification popped up the phone is hot and performance is limited, then it just restarted on me! I missed my exit and when the phone turned back on it was still super stuttering and couldn't re-route. Luckily my wife was able to punch it in quick on her phone to not get too far off course.
Sponsored

ElleD

First Name
Elle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium SR RWD; 2010 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Update: My iPhone 12 mini was able to charge but still gets hot enough that on a 30 min trip the phone overheats. I was using car play / maps at the time. I've got a new iPhone 13 Max Pro so I'll see if it happens on this phone. Might end up just using cable to charge on trips....
My iPhone 13 mini overheated and the battery drained. Hasn't been quite the same since, and I had only had it for one week. Suggest you don't experiment.

AgentWimplo

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I guess I'll just use the cable if I need to charge. Can't really see any progress being made by taking it to the dealer again. Maybe they will eventually have replacement hardware.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
For folks that continue to have overheating issues after verifying the update was applied, I wonder if your case is a factor? I use the OEM Apple case and it seems to work fine. Gets fairly warm but not burning hot like before. If you have a thicker case like an OtterBox/LifeProof, the increased distance to the charging coil will increase heat generation, and also trap more heat inside. This may be the source of additional issues.

I'd recommend only using the wireless charger if you have a "light" case with a thin back.

Moeyjar

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Interestingly enough, my iPhone 13 Pro Max with Apple Magsafe Case seems to work fine. I don't find it heats any more than any other wireless charging pad, and the phone has never turned off due to overheating while on long drive with Carplay. My only concern would be that the charging itself isn't very powerful, maybe 2-3% an hour while in use, but really minor and wouldn't have considered it an issue. I wonder if this update would help?

MMEmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
Finally - Just heard from my dealer - New SSM issued today see below - wireless phone charger in 2021-2022 Mach-e may not work for Iphone 12 and 13 users! No suggestion of a hardware or Software Fix! Just Pound sand !
New Class action suit?

Ford SSM 50982.jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Finally - Just heard from my dealer - New SSM issued today see below - wireless phone charger in 2021-2022 Mach-e may not work for Iphone 12 and 13 users! No suggestion of a hardware or Software Fix! Just Pound sand !
New Class action suit?

Ford SSM 50982.jpeg.jpg
This SSM today does not remove the need to update the WACM. The TSB of this topic is still in effect today, so the dealer can still update the WACM module on your car per the TSB criteria. Explain that Ford will pay the warranty claim since the TSB is active. You may print out the PDF of the TSB and hand it to your service manager and discuss the criteria being met.

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ext range
Country flag
Dealer claims they followed 22-2265. My iPhone 13 Pro "charges" for a few seconds then stops. Same with our without the Apple Leather MagSafe case, I will try on a longer drive. It's not a huge issue to me but it should work. I do use CarPlay 100% of the time, maybe it's a zero sum game.

Then we tried my wife's iPhone12 mini with non-Apple plastic case and it charged a few percent over 15 minutes. Plugged that in with lightning cable it charged much faster.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Dealer claims they followed 22-2265. My iPhone 13 Pro "charges" for a few seconds then stops. Same with our without the Apple Leather MagSafe case, I will try on a longer drive. It's not a huge issue to me but it should work. I do use CarPlay 100% of the time, maybe it's a zero sum game.

Then we tried my wife's iPhone12 mini with non-Apple plastic case and it charged a few percent over 15 minutes. Plugged that in with lightning cable it charged much faster.
My 13 Pro would constantly stop charging in the Apple leather case. I think it just doesn’t grip enough so it would slide around. At the same time, I switched to a Mous case and did this update and no longer had it disconnecting. It doesn’t charge fast, sadly, but it does slowly add charge while using CarPlay.

I now have a 14 Pro and the Apple leather case and it’s back to nonstop disconnects.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My iPhone 13Pro would only stay connected a few minutes when on the charging pad.

Good news: After having TSB 22-2265 applied, the iPhone stays connected just fine.

Bad News: After about an hour the phone overheats and shuts down. It acts just like the folks who have complained about their phones overheating in newer build Mach Es.

@Ford Motor Company: It looks like the TSB wasn't fully functional.

mdpmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium RWD SR Grabber Blue
Country flag
In the post for the old TSB, I mentioned I was having problems with my Pixel 6 Pro (as were others) and that the fix did not resolve the issue with those (which may have been expected as this was targeted for iPhones specifically). I recently upgraded to a Pixel 7 Pro and my wireless charging connection has (so far) stayed connected.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Before the update, my iPhone 13 Pro Max would charge fine without a case as long as I drove, but if I had a case on it of any kind, it would stop charging within a couple of minutes. I did the updates right around the time I moved to the 14 Pro Max, and I’ve found that—surprisingly—even with a pretty thick Vaja case on (they’re beautifully made, but thick) I’m keeping a charge going the whole time and excessive heat hasn’t been an issue.

This update absolutely, positively helped the situation.

(If you got the “color of the year” iPhone Pro, the Vaja configurator lets you choose a deep purple option for the floater leather choices that’s a fantastic match to the Deep Purple 14 Pro series.)
Sponsored