Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
If you have water dripping out through the close button, latch, or handle when you open the liftgate after a rain or car wash, you might want this TSB done. Covers all Mach-E's built before Sept 29 2023.

NOTE: Water near the license plate lamps and center open button is normal since this area is always outside the vehicle. Look for water coming out of the areas that are on the interior side of the gasket as shown here:

Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 23-2360 - Water Leak Into Liftgate Button Water Leak

Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 23-2360 - Water Leak Into Liftgate 1700546140276

Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 23-2360 - Water Leak Into Liftgate img_4913-

Water can leak in around the back of the rear tail lights on some vehicles due to poor sealing. This is an inside view of tailgate below the tail light showing evidence of water intrusion near the opening for the electrical connector:

Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 23-2360 - Water Leak Into Liftgate img_1798-jpe

This TSB will address the leaks by adding additional sealing material around the rear taillight openings.

Note: I've also heard of water leaks in other areas of the tailgate, such as around the openings the rear spoiler clips into. Which would be a different fix not covered by this TSB.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Water Leak Into Liftgate - Built On Or Before 29-Sep-2023
23-2360
16 November 2023​
This bulletin supersedes 21-2307.
Model:
Ford
2021-2023 Mustang Mach-E
Built on or before 29-Sep-2023
Summary

This article supersedes TSB 21-2307 to update the Service Procedure.
Issue: Some 2021-2023 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 29-Sep-2023 may experience a water leak into the liftgate. This may be due to water intruding past the seals on the liftgate mounted rear lamp assemblies. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to seal the lamp cavities.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

ā€¢ 2021-2023 Mustang Mach-E
ā€¢ Built on or before 29-Sep-2023
ā€¢ Water leak into liftgate

Parts
Service Part NumberQuantityDescriptionUnit of IssuePiece Quantity
Obtain Locally​
As Needed​
Butyl Sealant Tape
1​
1​
Quantity refers to the amount of the service part number required to repair the vehicle.
Unit of Issue refers to the number of individual pieces included in a service part number package.
Piece Quantity refers to the total number of individual pieces required to repair the vehicle.
As Needed indicates the amount of the part may vary and/or is not a whole number. Parts can be billed out as non-whole numbers, including less than 1.

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021-2023 Mustang Mach-E: Install Sealer Following The Service Procedure Includes Time To Remove And Install Lamp Assemblies (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
232360A​
0.6 Hrs.​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:5840010
Condition Code:07
Service Procedure
1. Remove both liftgate mounted rear lamp assemblies. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 417-01 > Removal And Installation > Rear Lamp Assembly > Liftgate Mounted Rear Lamp Assemblies.
2. Inspect and remove any sealant residue around the rear lamps studs and the surface that the studs pass through the body.
3. Clean all sealing surfaces.
4. Using butyl sealant tape, create a bead around each cavity of both liftgate mounted rear lamps as shown in Figures 1-2.
Figure 1
Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 23-2360 - Water Leak Into Liftgate imagen2

Figure 2
Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 23-2360 - Water Leak Into Liftgate imagen2

5. When fitting the rear lamps into the body, apply slight pressure to allow the butyl to seal evenly.
NOTE: When tightening the lamps, draw the lamps to the body evenly using the fasteners. Do not fully tighten one and then the other.
6. Reinstall both liftgate mounted rear lamp assemblies. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 417-01 > Removal And Installation > Rear Lamp Assembly > Liftgate Mounted Rear Lamp Assemblies.

Attachments

Last edited:

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah it makes sense although thank the Lord I've never gotten water thru there "yet".

Sorry this happened to you (if the pix are of your car).

Looks like mostly labor effort and cost.

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ā€˜21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Henry Ford, rolling over in his graveā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦. Bill P

spicy_taco

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
Too bad this TSB doesn't cover replacing any of the controller boards that will now have a possible shortened lifespan due to corrosion.

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
Is there somewhere online where I can see this info:

Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 417-01 > Removal And Installation > Rear Lamp Assembly > Liftgate Mounted Rear Lamp Assemblies

I just noticed one of liftgate mounted rear lamps on my car is loose. Would like to DIY repair if feasible.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Good info, I have a similar issue and up to this point just though it was normal. When it rains or if I wash the car the tailgate fills with water. When opened water pours out of the top of the tailgate. None of this water drains to the inside of the car. I don't think it's actually harming anything but considering I live where it gets cold the water could freeze damaging the tailgate.

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Good info, I have a similar issue and up to this point just though it was normal. When it rains or if I wash the car the tailgate fills with water. When opened water pours out of the top of the tailgate. None of this water drains to the inside of the car. I don't think it's actually harming anything but considering I live where it gets cold the water could freeze damaging the tailgate.
Hi there! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your concerns on my end.

Timmy

First Name
Timmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium 4WD EB
Country flag
This happened to me for the first time last Monday. I had the car for 2 1/2 years and has 44K miles. I don't have an extended warranty.
Let's see how much it costs.
The first problem I have with the car.
Sponsored