TSB 24-2017 - HVBJB Replacement - Service Vehicle Soon or Stop Safely Now Message

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Another update to the HVBJB replacement TSB. Two notable changes. One is the HVBJB part numbers in the TSB have been updated to match the current 23S56 recall. Second is that late 2022 and 2023 model year vehicles have been dropped from this TSB. It now only applies to vehicles built before May 28 2022. I'm not sure why this change was made, but my guess it is has to do with HVBJB part allocation to align with the recall.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Illuminated MIL And/Or Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator With Various DTCs - Built On Or Before 28-May-2022
24-2017
25 January 2024​
This bulletin supersedes 23-2348. Reason for update: revise the model years affected, production clean date and part list
Model:
Ford
2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E
Built on or before 28-May-2022
Markets: Canada, USA

Issue: Some 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 28-May-2022 may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and/or powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0563, P0ADA, P0ADE, P0AA1, P0AA4, P0AA5, P0AA2, P0D10, P0D0F and/or P0C78 stored in the battery energy control module (BECM). It may also have a low/discharged 12V battery and/or display a Stop Safely Now message in the instrument panel cluster (IPC). This may be due to the high voltage battery junction box (HVBJB). To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace the HVBJB and reprogram the BECM.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E
• Built on or before 28-May-2022
• Illuminated MIL and/or powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator with DTCs P0563, P0ADA, P0ADE, P0AA1, P0AA4, P0AA5, P0AA2, P0D10, P0D0F and/or P0C78 in the BECM

Parts
Service Part NumberQuantityDescriptionUnit of IssuePiece Quantity
LK9Z-10C666-C​
1​
High Voltage Battery Junction Box (GT)
1​
1​
NK4Z-10C666-F​
1​
High Voltage Battery Junction Box (RWD Base)
1​
1​
NK4Z-10C666-E​
1​
High Voltage Battery Junction Box (AWD Base)
1​
1​
W717859-S439​
1​
Battery Mounting Bracket Bolts
4​
2​
W720404-S450​
1​
BECM Mounting Bracket Bolts (Extended Range Battery Only)
4​
4​
VC-13-G​
As Needed​
Motorcraft® Yellow Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant (All Markets Except Canada)
CVC-13-G​
As Needed​
Motorcraft® Yellow Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant (Canada Only)

Parts - Parts To Inspect And Replace Only If Necessary
Service Part NumberQuantityDescriptionUnit of IssuePiece Quantity
LJ9Z-10A687-A​
If Needed​
High Voltage Battery Cover Seal
1​
1​
Quantity refers to the amount of the service part number package(s) required to repair the vehicle.
Unit of Issue refers to the number of individual pieces included in a service part number package.
Piece Quantity refers to the total number of individual pieces required to repair the vehicle.
As Needed indicates the amount of the part may vary and/or is not a whole number. Parts can be billed out as non-whole numbers, including less than 1.
If Needed indicates the part is not mandatory.

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Emissions Warranty/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/Emissions Warranty/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E: Retrieve DTCs And Vehicle Build Date, Replace The HVBJB (Do Not Use With Any Operations Outside Of This Article)
242017A​
5.7 Hrs.​
2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E: Reprogram The Appropriate Modules As Required By The Software Update And Service Procedure, Includes Time To Download And Run The BECM Reset DTC Occurrence Counter Application If Required (Can Be Claimed With Operation A)
MT242017​
Actual Time​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:10C666
Condition Code:42

Service Procedure
Replace the HVBJB. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-03A, Removal and installation.
2. Reprogram the BECM to latest software available. The BECM is part of the powertrain coordinated flash.
(1). Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery. If the 12-volt battery is discharged, charge the battery. Refer to WSM, Section 414-01, Diagnosis and Testing.
NOTE: To prevent the battery saver mode from activating on the vehicle, make sure the negative cable of the charger is installed on a chassis or engine ground, and not the 12-volt battery negative terminal. Do not have the vehicle plugged into the high voltage battery charger during programming. This can cause incorrect module programming. Make sure only the 12-volt battery charger is installed.
3. Reprogram the PCM using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool.
4. Check the availability of software updates on the following modules and update as required:
  • SOBDM
  • BECM
  • SOBDMB
  • SOBDMC
  • ABS module
  • NOTE: Only one module may be updated at a time.
5. Clear any stored DTCs related to this concern.
6. If DTCs P0ADA, P0ADE, P0AA1, and/or P0AA4 remain present, download and run the BECM - Reset Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Occurrence Counter application in FDRS.
Sponsored

Attachments

sean7512

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT Grabber Blue & Cyber Orange
Country flag
So what does that mean if a 2023 fails? Does that mean we wouldn't get the new part? Seems pretty backwards to me. Why would Ford want to continue putting known bad parts into cars? You'd think they wouldn't want to fix it again.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
So what does that mean if a 2023 fails? Does that mean we wouldn't get the new part? Seems pretty backwards to me. Why would Ford want to continue putting known bad parts into cars? You'd think they wouldn't want to fix it again.
It'd be covered by the powertrain warranty, and I would assume 2023s, 2024s, etc. are using the new part or even a newer part.

sean7512

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT Grabber Blue & Cyber Orange
Country flag
It'd be covered by the powertrain warranty, and I would assume 2023s, 2024s, etc. are using the new part or even a newer part.
AFAIK the 2023s are using the same part as the late 2022 models, which are still failing. I have to imagine that 2024s are using the recall part from the factory.

That means the recalled cars are getting the new part, the 2024s are getting the new part but the late 2022s and all 2023s have a known bad part and when they fail, they will still get the old, bad part. Definitely covered under warranty, just annoying to have to get it fixed only to get a part that is known to fail in it, which means we'll have to take it back in when it fails again.

Triumphator

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER, 2022 Job1
Country flag
I guess that the time of warranty is the reason. Ford plays poker and hopeing that the HVBJB in 2023 models not brokes within the new warranty time of fife years. Remember, older vehicles have an 8 year warranty.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I guess that the time of warranty is the reason. Ford plays poker and hopeing that the HVBJB in 2023 models not brokes within the new warranty time of fife years. Remember, older vehicles have an 8 year warranty.
The HVBJB is still covered by the 8 yr / 100,000 mi EV warranty.

First Name
Rudi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black Mustang e RWD 98kw 2023
Country flag
In Denmark it is 8 years and 160.000km for the battery. All connected to HVB (motor / inverter and so on) 5 years/100.000km

Triumphator

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER, 2022 Job1
Country flag
In Europe the 8 year warranty for HV-Components is castrated by ford. New models/contracts have only 5 years.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
'23 GT-PE.

So I had a SSN (with a P0ADA showing in FDRS) on Jan 12th, and due to scheduling at my dealer I waited to take my car in for about 4 weeks. Car goes in and they do some PTS reading and discover this new updated TSB, and when they do the pinpoint diagnostics and are asked if there are any other codes besides P0ADA, and the tech says "No" because there aren't any, FDRS says 'you're done'. So they consulted with the techline and after much deliberation they were told to reset the BECM counter, test drive the car, and if the SSN doesn't reappear during the test drive, give the car back to the customer, (but tell parts to hold on to the replacement HVJB they ordered, as they may still need it later).

So my wife's a bit out of sorts that she couldn't drive the car for a month or so (yes, I know you can drive it with reduced power, but I had other things to drive) only to be told later that it was a minor glitch, and everything's okay now...but it may happen again.

Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 24-2017 - HVBJB Replacement - Service Vehicle Soon or Stop Safely Now Message P0ADA_pinpoint

Last edited:

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
'23 GT-PE.

So I had a SSN (with a P0ADA showing in FDRS) on Jan 12th, and due to scheduling at my dealer I waited to take my car in for about 4 weeks. Car goes in and they do some PTS reading and discover this new updated TSB, and when they do the pinpoint diagnostics and are asked if there are any other codes besides P0ADA, and the tech says "No" because there aren't any, FDRS says 'you're done'. So they consulted with the techline and after much deliberation they were told to reset the BECM counter, test drive the car, and if the SSN doesn't reappear during the test drive, give the car back to the customer, (but tell parts to hold on to the replacement HVJB they ordered, as they may still need it later).

So my wife's a bit out of sorts that she couldn't drive the car for a month or so (yes, I know you can drive it with reduced power, but I had other things to drive) only to be told later that it was a minor glitch, and everything's okay now...but it may happen again.

P0ADA_pinpoint.png
Here is the pinpoint test for the NCM pack. It appears they used the pinpoint test for the LFP pack.

If you notice the NCM pack pinpoint test I posted does NOT say to clear the code before removing the pack. Only the LFP pinpoint test says to do that. It sounds like they were following the LFP pack procedures.

In simpler terms, the pinpoint test says if it has just the P0ADA code to remove the battery pack, check the connector, and if the connector is seated properly to replace it. No other instructions.

Attachments

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
'23 GT-PE.

Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 24-2017 - HVBJB Replacement - Service Vehicle Soon or Stop Safely Now Message P0ADA_pinpoint
Yeah that’s the incorrect outcome of the pinpoint test. They should have replaced the HVBJB if they were following the correct directions. Better get somebody else involved…

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah that’s the incorrect outcome of the pinpoint test. They should have replaced the HVBJB if they were following the correct directions. Better get somebody else involved…
Well they then called the techline after that...and were told to reset the BECM and test drive. But to hold on to the new part in the event the problem returns. So we've just kicked the can down the road a bit.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Well they then called the techline after that...and were told to reset the BECM and test drive. But to hold on to the new part in the event the problem returns. So we've just kicked the can down the road a bit.
Go out and floor the car for 5 second intervals repeatedly until SVS comes up, then bring it back today. Hopefully that will convince their pea brains it’s not fixed…

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Go out and floor the car for 5 second intervals repeatedly until SVS comes up, then bring it back today. Hopefully that will convince their pea brains it’s not fixed…
đź‘Ť
Sponsored