TSB 23-2257 - HVBJB Replacement - Service Vehicle Soon or Stop Safely Now Message

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Just seeing this new TSB, am I mistaken or are they saying this isnā€™t covered under electrical system/battery warranty? What is the limit of the new vehicle warranty?

The way I read it it implies that the 8yr/100k on EV parts remains starting with original purchase date, and does not re-start to date of replacement.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Well, Iā€™ve joined the club. I am stuck at an EA charger as my car just emitted a loud POP and unceremoniously ended its charging session and displayed a collection of fault codes. On a road trip so hopeful that I can get it to a service center that can perform the repair. Any advice on dealing with the choices? Iā€™ve got three ford dealers in range. Reviews are not helpful to choose, so currently planning nearest - Plaza Ford in Belair, MD
failure at an EA station DURING a charge session may or may not be HVBJB related. Only review of DTC will tell......

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
Are you sure about the legal requirement? I thought the extended battery warranty requirement was only for hybrids, with an even longer requirement set by California (and again, only applicable to hybrids).
Yes it applies to any vehicle with an electric propulsion system. Includes hybrids, PHEVs, and BEVs. I couldnā€™t find the exact wording, would love if you found it to post it here as well.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yes it applies to any vehicle with an electric propulsion system. Includes hybrids, PHEVs, and BEVs. I couldnā€™t find the exact wording, would love if you found it to post it here as well.
I've been searching, including at the Cornell law archive, but I haven't found it yet.

I do see this article that reports on the government contemplating adding regulations on EV batteries into the emissions rules, potentially several years from now:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/epa-p...-automakers-to-warranty-ev-battery-durability

And I see references to California's warranty requirements for PZEV (for example https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicle...warranty-plug-vehicle-batteries-8-years100000). But I found nothing authoritative on ZEV requirements so far.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
No, actually, I didnā€™t. Iā€™m playing devilā€™s advocate here. The wording is in reference to capacity, not discharge capability. Two different things, it could be argued.
Ok. Your choice on what you want to believe or argue.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I think that the newer HVJB are not actually immune to failure, itā€™s just way more rare. Whereas Ford had a serious problem with the first design, they think they can deal with the newer design on a case by case failure basis.
Why do you think that? The HVBJB issues were really rare to start and then started popping up during the summer months. Those with revised HVBJB, the beefier part, that had failures again like myself, happened once again during summer months. I guess it lasted longer, bought the car in January 2022 and it failed in July 2022. And then the second one failed in August 2023, but the heat definitely factors in.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Do you have to have the battery mounting bracket bolts replaced...? My dealer, at least on the service record, only did the HVBJB and coolant. They did not do bolts or the cover seal.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Do you have to have the battery mounting bracket bolts replaced...? My dealer, at least on the service record, only did the HVBJB and coolant. They did not do bolts or the cover seal.
My first HVJB failure on my first MME, at 8k miles, they replaced some of the wiring harness as well, and I believe the BECM. Honestly, I think this was just when Ford was starting to find out they had a real problem on their hands, Jan-Feb 2022. I got the newer HVJB before it was even being put into production cars, before the stop sale. I went just as hard in the paint on WOT on that car as before, maybe even more so. Made it to 24k miles with no problems before I traded it in. This is what leads me to believe that it is significantly rarer to have the newly designed HVJB fail, and that we can probably count on our fingers the instances of reported failure of the new part at this point, that donā€™t have something to do with service centers performing shoddy work (not pressure testing, not refilling coolant), or infant mortality.
Sponsored