Dudd

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Zoe & Pre-ordered Mach E
Country flag
This is a wiki for Mustang Mach E users of the UK public charging network. It contains pricing information about various networks, but with a focus on the ones where your FordPass charging card will give you access and the rates for this with comparisons to other payment methods.

Also included is information to support those planning road trips and wanting to make use of the Mach E’s 115/150kW charging capabilities at sites offering ultra fast charging (as these networks are more limited in number, I will try and keep these updated even for networks outside the FordPass network, as this will hopefully be useful to people!).

The public charging network is expanding rapidly, with regular changes to pricing and new companies/networks. So please do leave a comment or DM me if you spot anything that needs updating on this main page, which I will keep updating.

This is for general guidance only, and I’d recommend using the FordPass app, ZapMap, and checking on the actual charger, to confirm the price of a charge before commencing! Some charging networks have a variety of prices with pay as you go prices (eg using your contactless bank card), connection fees, and membership prices, which can differ from the rate offered by the FordPass app. Listed below are all the charging prices, but not detailed information on the prices and benefits of taking out particular memberships or subscriptions. You will need to do your own calculations to see if it’s worth taking out any of these, depending on your likely use of particular networks.

For questions about charging capabilities, time to charge on different connectors etc, I would recommend the EV database for the Mustang Mach E (they have a page for each available version): https://ev-database.uk/car/1242/Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-SR-RWD

Ultra fast charging (150kW+)

This section is for DC ultra fast charging, which is defined as 150kW and above. Remember standard range Mach Es can charge up to 115kW, and extended range up to 150kW. Standard range Mach Es (as well as all cars with CCS) can still use these, but you will max out at 115kW. You will use the CCS connected to plug into the Mach E, which will always come attached to the charging unit.

Be aware that all EVs have their own distinct charging curve, which means they ramp up to the maximum charging speed then ramp down, so you won’t get the maximum charge rate all the time. State of the battery (eg is it warm or cold, and charge level) and the power supply to the charge can also impact speed. The Mach E will throttle down to 11kW above 80% SOC (state of charge).

If you come across any other accessible via FordPass networks offering ultra fast chargers then DM me or comment in the thread.

Ford Pass networks:
  • Shell Recharge: FordPass 45p/kWh, PAYG 41p/kWh
  • BP Pulse: FordPass 21p/kWh, PAYG 25p/kWh, membership 15p/kWh
  • IONITY: FordPass 26p/kWh, PAYG 69p/kWh
  • Osprey: FordPass 42p/kWh, PAYG 36p/kWh

Non-Ford Pass HPC networks (100kW+)

Below is information about networks offering ultra rapid charging 150kW and higher rapid charging above 100kW (as there are so many networks now offering rapid charge at 50kW you will be better looking at ZapMap for these chargers).

Ecotricity: PAYG 30p/kWh
Older 50kW chargers are common at motorway service stations, and are now being upgraded following a partnership with Gridserve. The new services at Rugby (M6) has 12 350kW chargers.

Gridserve: PAYG 24p/kWh
So far only available at their new Braintree electric forecourt but other sites are planned (350kW and 100kW chargers available)

Swarco E.Connect: PAYG 39p/kWh
These banks of 150kW chargers are being installed at Motor Fuels Group (MFG) fuel stations. A good example (particularly for road trips) is at the BP garage at J27 of the M6.

Instavolt: PAYG 35p/kWh
Perhaps the easiest rapid charge network to use (debate in the thread). Many 50kW units on offer, but increasingly installing 100kw points as well (eg Banbury off the M6)

Fastned: PAYG 39p/kWh
A few sites in the Newcastle/Sunderland area 150kW and 350kW chargers. 50kW unites at a few other sites mostly in the North East as well.

Rapid chargers - 50kW

Shell, Osprey and BP Pulse also have large numbers of 50kW rapid chargers, which are in the FordPass network. Prices are the same as the 150kW units (I’ll keep an eye for any changes here). The costs for the 50kW units on those networks are as follows:

• Shell Recharge: FordPass 45p/kWh, PAYG 41p/kWh
  • BP Pulse: FordPass 21p/kWh, PAYG 25p/kWh, membership 15p/kWh
  • Osprey: FordPass 42p/kWh, PAYG 36p/kWh
There are many other networks offering 50kW rapid chargers (too many to cover in this wiki), so I will just update any changes that relate to those covered by the FordPass. For users in Scotland, there is government-backed network called ChargePlace Scotland that will give you free use on most devices (after registering for ÂŁ20) - sign-up here.

Type 2 charging - 11kW and under

These are the slower type 2 chargers available in the FordPass network. You'll most likely use your type 2 public charging cable to use these. There are many other networks with a variety of payment methods. If you come across any other accessible via FordPass networks offering slower chargers then DM me or comment in the thread.

• Char.gy: FordPass 32p/kWh, PAYG 33p/kWh, memberships
  • BP Pulse: FordPass 15p/kWh, PAYG ÂŁ1.20 connection fee then free to use, membership free to use
Happy charging, and do use the the thread for updates, charging stories, and any questions of course for the community to help with!
Awesome post. Thanks :)
Sponsored

Dhiren

First Name
Dhiren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Mustang Mach-E, ER RWD)
Occupation
Office Supplies Reseller
Country flag
Does the Ford App or zap indicate if the charges are available or out of order.

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
Does the Ford App or zap indicate if the charges are available or out of order.
Yes they both indicate live availability. On ZapMap, it depends on the charging network you're looking at, as not all report their live status, but for the major networks most do. The Ford App only covers a selection of networks.

ZapMap also has a very useful comment function for individual chargers, so you can see how people faired and if there were any problems getting the charger to work, or difficulties finding it! Useful in multi-story carparks for knowing where to go!

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
Positive update from Ecotricity/Gridserve with the improvements to the Electric Highway. Existing 50kW units being replaced with more reliable versions, and for Mach E owners, good news is there are more CCS connectors on these.
Follow the Twitter thread for the latest updated sites:

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Well some good and bad experiences today....

Nice day so we decided to pop out for a picnic. Stopped at the supermarket to pickup some snacks, and this particular location has a 7kW ChargeMaster (now BP Pulse) charge post at it.

I thought I'd squeeze a couple of free kW's in while I was there, and I had previously used this location with my old car and my old Polar subscription with no issues.

Tried to use the FordPass Charge card on the post today, and it was a big fat no! Displayed an error saying "Invalid Card - Not recognised". Tried calling the helpline but gave up after being in a queue for a few mins. I thought for the sake of a couple of kW's it wasn't worth the hassle.

Fast forward to the journey home I checked out another one of BP Pulse's DC Rapid chargers located in a pub car park not far from home. This one was a 50kW unit - and just like the 150kW unit I used on Saturday it worked flawlessly with the Ford card. Added 31% onto the battery (51% --> 82%) in 45mins - which was just enough time for a Diet Coke and a snack bowl of Pigs In Blankets ?

When I got home I double checked the supermarket charger was definitely part of the included network, and it is, so not sure why that session got rejected.

So the rapid chargers have been way more reliable so far, and to be honest way more useful. I'm finding that the free 7kW charges will take an eternity to give you anything useful due to the large capacity of the Mach-E. They'll be fine if you have one at the office and can leave it plugged in for 7hrs - but when out and about the rapid chargers at either 50kW or even better 150kW are the way to go.

[EDIT: Obviously home charging overnight on a low p/kW rate is far more cost effective than using public charging. Right now I don't have a home charger so I'm relying on public network chargers to keep me topped up]

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
BP Pulse update - fees are going up! See table below for cost increases taking place from 10th June. I will update the wiki when those come into effect.

Not clear if the FordPass rates will also change, because if they don't the FordPass rate on DC 50kW will now be *cheaper* using FordPass.

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Mach E Public Charging Wiki 1622545704590

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
BP Pulse update - fees are going up! See table below for cost increases taking place from 10th June. I will update the wiki when those come into effect.

Not clear if the FordPass rates will also change, because if they don't the FordPass rate on DC 50kW will now be *cheaper* using FordPass.

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Mach E Public Charging Wiki 1622545704590
Correction issued by BP pulse on their new tariffs:

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Mach E Public Charging Wiki 1623222049421

Mwjdavies

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR Rapid Red
Country flag
Correction issued by BP pulse on their new tariffs:

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Mach E Public Charging Wiki 1623222049421
Apologies if a stupid question…….

So if someone uses the 150kW charger, but for arguments sake vehicle only draws down 50kW, are you charged the higher rate due to the charger used or the lower rate due to rate of power?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
Apologies if a stupid question…….

So if someone uses the 150kW charger, but for arguments sake vehicle only draws down 50kW, are you charged the higher rate due to the charger used or the lower rate due to rate of power?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks
Not a stupid question by any means! Yes, you will be charged at the higher rate using a 150kW charger, regardless of the power you actually draw down. That could definitely cause frustration if you plug-in and get a low power output for some reason, eg vehicle charging curve, or perhaps power limitations due to others charging on nearby posts. With the MME you'll not get hit the 150kW speed for that long before it slowly starts to tail down (and then a big drop once 80% charged).

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Does anyone know when the motorway chargers will all be changed to the new systems?

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag

SashaLondon