kevgallacher

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Looks like many charging points are becoming way too expensive these days, in many cases way more expensive than petrol cars.

The 2 I use most often:
Pod Point used to be 26p/kwh in April 2022, it is now 65p/kwh thats a x2.5 increase in 1 year.
Chargeplace Scotland many were either free or 19p/kwh now they are 50p/kwh in most places with heavy overstay costs of £1/min or flat £30 for overstaying.

My Ionity free trial ends in a couple of weeks 2 so that will increase in price also.

Many fast chargers are around 80p/kwh, this is more than it costs to run a petrol car.
I can see the electric car market taking a big crash soon.

I can hold out the Summer but I don't think I can manage spending £45-£60 to only get around 150-180 miles next Winter. A petrol car will get over 300 miles and diesel over 400 miles for that cost.

Does anyone know what are the cheapest providers these days?

I love my Mach E ER but If prices don't come back down soon I am seriously thinking of selling the car.
I don't see how the government can convince people to switch now, I will be advising anyone interested not to buy an electric car now.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Charge at home?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Can't speak to UK costs, but in the US, public high speed charging is more expensive per mile than charging at home, and yes - in a few markets more expensive than gas (parts of New England, parts of California). In fact, in parts of California, HOME charging is more expensive than public charging.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I think the cost benefit assumption right now for UK EV ownership is that you only use public charging when doing long trips beyond your normal range.

I was in a similar situation as you where I had no home charger for the first year of Mach-E ownership, but the cost per kWh on public charging back then wasn't crazy like it is now.

I lucked out and moved house just before the energy prices went mad and managed to fix an overnight charging tariff of 7.5p/kWh (roughly $0.09 in US) - which is a 1/10th of the average UK public charger rates now.

If I hadn't moved I'd be like you and seriously considering my options.

Dermot Vermin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SRD Black
Country flag
85p pkwh on Shell recharge, during a cold winter on motorway driving that's about 42ppm, so a hundred miles is £42 (that I can claim, thank god).I get 9ppm from work for home charging cost, which covers conservative summer driving at 4ppkwh at my standard rate of 35p per unit. Prices are mad but hopefully they'll come down but it'll be slowly me thinks. The tax savings are brilliant for a Company car driver but if I drive long distances for personal use, I use the Wife's ICE, works out much cheaper.

Smuddell

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Megane E Tech Launch Edition
Country flag
I recently looked into Connected Kerb as our local council is joining forces with them and installing a few chargers near me soon and they are currently 35p/kW. PodPoints at Tesco were a good option but they jump up significantly more in the next few days.

It's such a shame, I can't charge at home, and it feels like I'm steadily being priced out of driving an EV - but I LOVE driving an EV. If things don't improve in the next year or so I'm seriously considering going back to a Toyota hybrid (or possibly a PHEV)
Sponsored