BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
This is a wiki for Mustang Mach E users of the UK public charging network. It contains pricing information about various networks, but with a focus on the ones where your FordPass charging card will give you access and the rates for this with comparisons to other payment methods.

Also included is information to support those planning road trips and wanting to make use of the Mach E’s 115/150kW charging capabilities at sites offering ultra fast charging (as these networks are more limited in number, I will try and keep these updated even for networks outside the FordPass network, as this will hopefully be useful to people!).

The public charging network is expanding rapidly, with regular changes to pricing and new companies/networks. So please do leave a comment or DM me if you spot anything that needs updating on this main page, which I will keep updating.

This is for general guidance only, and I’d recommend using the FordPass app, ZapMap, and checking on the actual charger, to confirm the price of a charge before commencing! Some charging networks have a variety of prices with pay as you go prices (eg using your contactless bank card), connection fees, and membership prices, which can differ from the rate offered by the FordPass app. Listed below are all the charging prices, but not detailed information on the prices and benefits of taking out particular memberships or subscriptions. You will need to do your own calculations to see if it’s worth taking out any of these, depending on your likely use of particular networks.

For questions about charging capabilities, time to charge on different connectors etc, I would recommend the EV database for the Mustang Mach E (they have a page for each available version): https://ev-database.uk/car/1242/Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-SR-RWD

Ultra fast charging (150kW+)

This section is for DC ultra fast charging, which is defined as 150kW and above. Remember standard range Mach Es can charge up to 115kW, and extended range up to 150kW. Standard range Mach Es (as well as all cars with CCS) can still use these, but you will max out at 115kW. You will use the CCS connected to plug into the Mach E, which will always come attached to the charging unit.

Be aware that all EVs have their own distinct charging curve, which means they ramp up to the maximum charging speed then ramp down, so you won’t get the maximum charge rate all the time. State of the battery (eg is it warm or cold, and charge level) and the power supply to the charge can also impact speed. The Mach E will throttle down to 11kW above 80% SOC (state of charge).

If you come across any other accessible via FordPass networks offering ultra fast chargers then DM me or comment in the thread.

Ford Pass networks:
  • Shell Recharge: FordPass 45p/kWh, PAYG 45p/kWh (49p/kWh for 150kW sites)
  • BP Pulse: FordPass 29p/kWh*, PAYG 42p/kWh, membership 27p/kWh
  • IONITY: FordPass 30p/kWh, PAYG 69p/kWh
  • Osprey: FordPass 42p/kWh, PAYG 36p/kWh

Non-Ford Pass HPC networks (100kW+)

Below is information about networks offering ultra rapid charging 150kW and higher rapid charging above 100kW (as there are so many networks now offering rapid charge at 50kW you will be better looking at ZapMap for these chargers).

Ecotricity: PAYG 30p/kWh
Old 50kW chargers are still common at motorway service stations, but are now being upgraded following a partnership with Gridserve (they will all be replaced by September with new Gridserve charge points). You'll be lucky to find an old unit that actually works for the MME - I'm struggling to find any reports of drivers managing to charge on them, so don't rely on using one!

Gridserve: PAYG 30p/kWh
Have recently bought the 'Electric Highway' (formerly Ecotricity) and are replacing the old 50kW chargers with 120kW units. You can see the upgraded units on this crowd-sourced map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1otTlinrsR3oWlKaGIiXX8YorukkiS38V&ll=53.14333849875817,-1.0988785197224082&z=6

Also available at their Braintree electric forecourt (350kW and 100kW chargers available) with other sites planned. The new services at Rugby (M6) which has a hub of 12 350kW chargers, and more hubs like this are planned.

Instavolt: PAYG 45p/kWh (from 1st Dec)
Perhaps the easiest rapid charge network to use (debate in the thread). Many 50kW units on offer, but increasingly installing 100kw points as well (eg Banbury off the M6)

Swarco E.Connect: PAYG 39p/kWh
These banks of 150kW chargers are being installed at Motor Fuels Group (MFG) fuel stations. A good example (particularly for road trips) is at the BP garage at J27 of the M6.

Fastned: PAYG 39p/kWh
A few sites in the Newcastle/Sunderland area 150kW and 350kW chargers. 50kW unites at a few other sites mostly in the North East as well.

Rapid chargers - 50kW

Shell, Osprey and BP Pulse also have large numbers of 50kW rapid chargers, which are in the FordPass network. Prices are the same as the 150kW units (I’ll keep an eye for any changes here). The costs for the 50kW units on those networks are as follows:

• Shell Recharge: FordPass 45p/kWh, PAYG 41p/kWh
  • BP Pulse: FordPass 21p/kWh*, PAYG 35p/kWh, membership 23p/kWh
There are many other networks offering 50kW rapid chargers (too many to cover in this wiki), so I will just update any changes that relate to those covered by the FordPass. For users in Scotland, there is government-backed network called ChargePlace Scotland that will give you free use on most devices (after registering for ÂŁ20) - sign-up here.

Type 2 charging - 11kW and under

These are the slower type 2 chargers available in the FordPass network. You'll most likely use your type 2 public charging cable to use these. There are many other networks with a variety of payment methods. If you come across any other accessible via FordPass networks offering slower chargers then DM me or comment in the thread.

• Char.gy: FordPass 32p/kWh, PAYG 33p/kWh, memberships avaialable
  • BP Pulse: FordPass 15p/kWh*, PAYG 26p/kWh, membership 16p/kWh (increasing from 1st December 2021)
Happy charging, and do use the the thread for updates, charging stories, and any questions of course for the community to help with!

*Following tariff changes announced by BP pulse at the start of June, it's not clear yet if there are changes coming to the rates offered via FordPass, so please do double check before charging.
Sponsored

Last edited:

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Well done @BlackheathDiggs. A very comprehensive and indepth post. A great help. My summation of all your hard work, and to be truthful I had already thought, that, with the exception of Ionity, unless you are only a very occasional user of public chargers then the Ford pass network works out more expensive. It COULD prove to be more beneficial to get subscriptions to individual charge companies. A bit of homework for all I think to determine what is best for YOU. We'll done though. Is it raining where you are??

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
This Ford Pass charge card, I believe it's free to start but eventually either has an annual or monthly subscription?

Does anyone know how much?

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
Well done @BlackheathDiggs. A very comprehensive and indepth post. A great help. My summation of all your hard work, and to be truthful I had already thought, that, with the exception of Ionity, unless you are only a very occasional user of public chargers then the Ford pass network works out more expensive. It COULD prove to be more beneficial to get subscriptions to individual charge companies. A bit of homework for all I think to determine what is best for YOU. We'll done though. Is it raining where you are??
Thanks! Yes, raining and have a week off between jobs, so not much to do other than look forward to the MME arrival!!

This thread may end up being more useful as a space to share info on public charging, and less about the FordPass network, particularly if it proves to be of little value (other than the convenience factor of a single card - a moot point though given the legislation in place now requiring rapid chargers to be accessible via contactless bank cards).

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
The BP pulse looks like the best one for me, there's a lot of them compared to Ford and it's tiny Ionity network.

David-HC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR ER RWD ?
Country flag
This is a wiki for Mustang Mach E users of the UK public charging network. It contains pricing information about various networks, but with a focus on the ones where your FordPass charging card will give you access and the rates for this with comparisons to other payment methods.

Also included is information to support those planning road trips and wanting to make use of the Mach E’s 115/150kW charging capabilities at sites offering ultra fast charging (as these networks are more limited in number, I will try and keep these updated even for networks outside the FordPass network, as this will hopefully be useful to people!).

The public charging network is expanding rapidly, with regular changes to pricing and new companies/networks. So please do leave a comment or DM me if you spot anything that needs updating on this main page, which I will keep updating.

This is for general guidance only, and I’d recommend using the FordPass app, ZapMap, and checking on the actual charger, to confirm the price of a charge before commencing! Some charging networks have a variety of prices with pay as you go prices (eg using your contactless bank card), connection fees, and membership prices, which can differ from the rate offered by the FordPass app. Listed below are all the charging prices, but not detailed information on the prices and benefits of taking out particular memberships or subscriptions. You will need to do your own calculations to see if it’s worth taking out any of these, depending on your likely use of particular networks.

For questions about charging capabilities, time to charge on different connectors etc, I would recommend the EV database for the Mustang Mach E (they have a page for each available version): https://ev-database.uk/car/1242/Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-SR-RWD

Ultra fast charging (150kW+)

This section is for DC ultra fast charging, which is defined as 150kW and above. Remember standard range Mach Es can charge up to 115kW, and extended range up to 150kW. Standard range Mach Es (as well as all cars with CCS) can still use these, but you will max out at 115kW. You will use the CCS connected to plug into the Mach E, which will always come attached to the charging unit.

Be aware that all EVs have their own distinct charging curve, which means they ramp up to the maximum charging speed then ramp down, so you won’t get the maximum charge rate all the time. State of the battery (eg is it warm or cold, and charge level) and the power supply to the charge can also impact speed. The Mach E will throttle down to 11kW above 80% SOC (state of charge).

If you come across any other accessible via FordPass networks offering ultra fast chargers then DM me or comment in the thread.

Ford Pass networks:
  • BP Pulse: FordPass 21p/kWh, PAYG 25p/kWh, membership 15p/kWh
  • IONITY: FordPass 26p/kWh, PAYG 69p/kWh

Non-Ford Pass HPC networks (100kW+)

Below is information about networks offering ultra rapid charging 150kW and higher rapid charging above 100kW (as there are so many networks now offering rapid charge at 50kW you will be better looking at ZapMap for these chargers).

Ecotricity: PAYG 30p/kWh
Older 50kW chargers are common at motorway service stations, and are now being upgraded following a partnership with Gridserve. The new services at Rugby (M6) has 12 350kW chargers.

Gridserve: PAYG 24p/kWh
So far only available at their new Braintree electric forecourt but other sites are planned (350kW and 100kW chargers available)

Swarco E.Connect: PAYG 39p/kWh
These banks of 150kW chargers are being installed at Motor Fuels Group (MFG) fuel stations. A good example (particularly for road trips) is at the BP garage at J27 of the M6.

Instavolt: PAYG 35p/kWh
Perhaps the easiest rapid charge network to use (debate in the thread). Many 50kW units on offer, but increasingly installing 100kw points as well (eg Banbury off the M6)

Fastned: PAYG 39p/kWh
A few sites in the Newcastle/Sunderland area 150kW and 350kW chargers. 50kW unites at a few other sites mostly in the North East as well.

Rapid chargers - 50kW

Shell, Osprey and BP Pulse also have large numbers of 50kW rapid chargers, which are in the FordPass network. Prices are the same as the 150kW units (I’ll keep an eye for any changes here). The costs for the 50kW units on those networks are as follows:

• BP Pulse: FordPass 21p/kWh, PAYG 25p/kWh, membership 15p/kWh
There are many other networks offering 50kW rapid chargers (too many to cover in this wiki), so I will just update any changes that relate to those covered by the FordPass.

Type 2 charging - 11kW and under

These are the slower type 2 chargers available in the FordPass network. You'll most likely use your type 2 public charging cable to use these. There are many other networks with a variety of payment methods. If you come across any other accessible via FordPass networks offering slower chargers then DM me or comment in the thread.

• Char.gy: FordPass 32p/kWh, PAYG 33p/kWh, memberships
  • BP Pulse: FordPass 15p/kWh, PAYG ÂŁ1.20 connection fee then free to use, membership free to use
Happy charging, and do use the the thread for updates, charging stories, and any questions of course for the community to help with!
Hi @BlackheathDiggs

This is brilliant - many thanks for pulling all this infomation together.

It'll be really interesting to see how the options and costs work out in real life. I have my Ford Connected Wallbox being installed Tuesday, plus a BP Pulse 50kwh charger just round the corner so should be fine around home - but will use the above when looking at longer journeys.

PS: My wife and I went to Devon this weekend (torrential rain!) to see my brother ...... probably the last "road trip" in the Outlander PHEV ? It's been great for the last 5 years and am sorry to see it go.

Out of interest, are you selling yours - and if so, are you PX for the MME or selling privately to dealer/individual? The PX seems a bit low to me (having checked on-line) but I don't want the hassle of selling - especially to an individual - so was thinking of Motorway or similar. Do you have any experience of these or thoughts on this?

Thanks again,
David

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
Hi @BlackheathDiggs

This is brilliant - many thanks for pulling all this infomation together.

It'll be really interesting to see how the options and costs work out in real life. I have my Ford Connected Wallbox being installed Tuesday, plus a BP Pulse 50kwh charger just round the corner so should be fine around home - but will use the above when looking at longer journeys.

PS: My wife and I went to Devon this weekend (torrential rain!) to see my brother ...... probably the last "road trip" in the Outlander PHEV ? It's been great for the last 5 years and am sorry to see it go.

Out of interest, are you selling yours - and if so, are you PX for the MME or selling privately to dealer/individual? The PX seems a bit low to me (having checked on-line) but I don't want the hassle of selling - especially to an individual - so was thinking of Motorway or similar. Do you have any experience of these or thoughts on this?

Thanks again,
David
No problem - I’ll be reliant on the public charge network as I don’t have ho charging access, and am keen to share what I know and learn from others!

Yes I’m sad to see the Outlander go too, doing my last road trip tomorrow with a few days in the Lake District.

I’m on a PCP deal so will take it back to the dealer I got it from and hopefully they will offer me a similar value to what the settlement figure is. Looking at used car values at the moment they seem similar to what I owe the finance company. So not part exchanging for me as I’ll be entering this with a fresh deposit. Does mean the delays are impacting me less than others reliant on PEx values, which really sucks for those doing that. Good luck with sorting things your side and enjoy the final days with the Outlander!!

David-HC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR ER RWD ?
Country flag
No problem - I’ll be reliant on the public charge network as I don’t have ho charging access, and am keen to share what I know and learn from others!

Yes I’m sad to see the Outlander go too, doing my last road trip tomorrow with a few days in the Lake District.

I’m on a PCP deal so will take it back to the dealer I got it from and hopefully they will offer me a similar value to what the settlement figure is. Looking at used car values at the moment they seem similar to what I owe the finance company. So not part exchanging for me as I’ll be entering this with a fresh deposit. Does mean the delays are impacting me less than others reliant on PEx values, which really sucks for those doing that. Good luck with sorting things your side and enjoy the final days with the Outlander!!
Thanks @BlackheathDiggs for your reply.

Enjoy your last road trip - the Lake District should be wonderful ..... i'll keep my fingers crossed that the rain stays away for a few days ?

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag

Smuddell

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Megane E Tech Launch Edition
Country flag
Thank you, very useful as like you, I will be relying on the public charging network!

al14

First Name
Alisdair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e RWD extended range
Occupation
Taiji Instructor
Country flag
Don't forget, if you are in Scotland you can get a ChargePlace Scotland card for ÂŁ20 per year (from www.chargeplacescotland.org) which will give you free charging at many outlets - haven't checked which yet but a neighbour uses it all the time and hardly ever charges at home (tight or what? - mind you I'll be doing the same when I finally get my MME :cool:)

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
Don't forget, if you are in Scotland you can get a ChargePlace Scotland card for ÂŁ20 per year (from www.chargeplacescotland.org) which will give you free charging at many outlets - haven't checked which yet but a neighbour uses it all the time and hardly ever charges at home (tight or what? - mind you I'll be doing the same when I finally get my MME :cool:)
Good point! I'll add that to the Wiki post

Dudd

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Zoe & Pre-ordered Mach E
Country flag
The BP pulse looks like the best one for me, there's a lot of them compared to Ford and it's tiny Ionity network.
I use BP Pulse in the South West quite a lot in my wife's Renault Zoe. It can only charge at 50kw and they have quite a few scattered around. Often each station can only charge one car at a time, and sometimes they are out of order. The members price is excellent, but if using them I would charge early and definitely plan backups if you aren't already. I guess that goes for all charging stations right now, but as an example last week on a trip to South Wales the first Pulse charger had a PHEV Van trying and failing to charge in it, the second was being hogged by an Audi (pretty sure it wasn't actually charging but I didn't want to go and give the charging cable a tug) and the third one was available and working. I spent almost as long looking for the charge as I did charging, and I knew where all 3 points were and had range to spare...... If each station could charge two cars at a time, the cables were a bit longer (they are going to struggle to reach the Mach E charge port without parking wonky), and they were more reliable it would be an amazing network...!
Sponsored