Unbridled mode gives more range. 369 miles at 100%

DancingMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E california, Premium
I have been reading on here and othet forums about how you all are having so much fun in Unbridled mode and how it gets more range. So I decided to test it out and you all were right! It is fun and does give more range. I normally drive in whisper mode with 1 pedal off. I get about 329-344 miles consistently at 100%. So I switched to Unbridled and drove how I normally do, if not faster because of how fast Unbridled accelerates. I had to make myself slow down a few times because I didn't realize I was speeding. I get more miles/kwh in Unbridled on my trip calculator than in whisper mode.

I drove to about 25% battery and charged. I saw it wasnt charging efficiently last night, because the time to 100% increased and the mileage decreased, so i stopped charging at 38%. I charged again this morning and I got 369 miles 100%.

I am an Unbridled fan.
I may test it in engage mode we will see.

I have a CR1 with around 1600 miles on it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unbridled mode gives more range. 369 miles at 100% 20220504_190820

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unbridled mode gives more range. 369 miles at 100% Screenshot_20220504-190854_FordPass

Edit: I am in Houston the weather has been warm since March so my driving conditions haven't changed.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The range estimator is not overly accurate, and the weather is getting warmer. I don't think it's unbridled mode.

You have to compute the actual miles/kwh achieved, not what the guess-o-meter said ahead of time

OP
OP

DancingMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The range estimator is not overly accurate, and the weather is getting warmer. I don't think it's unbridled mode.

You have to compute the actual miles/kwh achieved, not what the guess-o-meter said ahead of time
I am in Houston we have been warm for a few months now. I posted before on the other forum 2 weeks ago how I got 329 miles on the GOM and 337 actual mileage. The GOM is pretty accurate as long as the driving conditions are the same.

I am averaging 4.1 mi/kwh on my trip calculator for the last 1000 miles.

20220504_210424.jpg

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
4.1 is impressive. Has all of that 1000 miles been in unbridled?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
What's all this talk about another MME forum? This is the only one that matters.

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
For the non-GT models, I thought Ford designed all 3 modes to be equally efficient, just with different driving dynamics. Isn’t the power and energy usage supposed to be the same? It seemed counterintuitive to me at first so I was surprised to hear that all were allegedly the same.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
For the non-GT models, I thought Ford designed all 3 modes to be equally efficient, just with different driving dynamics. Isn’t the power and energy usage supposed to be the same? It seemed counterintuitive to me at first so I was surprised to hear that all were allegedly the same.
Correct. Efficiency is the same in all modes.

OP
OP

DancingMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your average speed is only 24 MPH, so I think that is mostly the reason for the high numbers. You must drive really slow.
Naw, I just drive the speed limit now. If the speed limit is 45 or 65 on the highway then thats what I drive maybe one or 3 miles over. I try to keep my trip gauge at or above 4.1 during city driving which I can also get that range on the highway too doing the speed limit most times.

OP
OP

DancingMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's what they say but I just tested it out again tonight while going to the store. I was driving 30 mph so i can take the pics. I got 8.9 and 7.8 mi/kwh in Unbridled!!!! I have never gotten that high ever in whisper at 20 mph every day in a school zone less alone going 30. I switched to whisper and I got 6.9 doing 30.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unbridled mode gives more range. 369 miles at 100% Screenshot_20220505-004933_Gallery

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unbridled mode gives more range. 369 miles at 100% 20220504_223822

Ford Mustang Mach-E Unbridled mode gives more range. 369 miles at 100% 20220504_224952

The temp outside decreased by one degree maybe that made the difference between me switching from Unbridled to whisper. But again I have never ever gotten 8.9 nor 7.8 while going 30 in whisper in any condition.
I have to do 20 mph speed limit every day twice a day in a school zone picking up and dropping my kids off and I never got 7.8 or above in whisper.

Last edited:

Scipio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Performance
Country flag
Wait how is it that all three modes are equally as efficient? Unbridled accelerates immediately vs whisper slowly ramps up. The faster you accelerate / brake the quicker the battery gets used up no?

I love unbridled, just trying to understand how it could possibly be as efficient as the other modes or even more efficient

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I've got 20K on my car and while I can't attest for Whisper mode efficiency because I just hate the way the car drives in that mode, Unbridled and Engaged have produced the same results so I drive exclusively in Unbridled because it has more of the sports car feel that I prefer

jojomontag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Houston here also. I get between 3.9 to 4.8 kw/mi in mixed freeway and street driving as well. I have a standard range and average about 220 miles of range at 80% SOC (rarely charge to 100%, but last time I did, I got 280 miles). I drive in Unbridled all the time.

I experimented between the three modes, and it seems that Whisper and Engage lag too much when trying to accelerate. Perhaps the higher torque in Unbridled helps with efficiency. I think of it as the same object being pushed by two different people, one who is small and average in strength vs. another who is large and strong. The smaller one expends more energy trying to move that object than the stronger one.

I had a GTI that I modified, increasing HP and torque dramatically (custom downpipe, air intake, flash of ECU). With same driving habits, I had better gas mileage.
Sponsored