Why does Unbridled have more regen?

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
It makes sense that Whisper has the least regen for the smoother ride. However, I'd imagine that most would want the "sport" mode to not slow the car down more when they let go of the pedal. Am I the only one?
Sponsored

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag
It makes sense that Whisper has the least regen for the smoother ride. However, I'd imagine that most would want the "sport" mode to not slow the car down more when they let go of the pedal. Am I the only one?
In my experience using sport modes on ICE cars, the vehicle revs much higher when aggressively pressing the accelerator. Thus, when you lift off, you are in a lower gear and experience transmission braking. I think this is what they are attempting to emulate.

OP
OP
physib

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
That's a pretty good reason, but in that case the regen should also scale with how much your accel pedal is depressed.

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I actually believe it is for cornering... in an ICE car, if you want to take a corner very fast you can throttle with your right foot and brake with your left foot at the same time. It helps stabilize the car. Someone told me it was a technique used on the track, but I have never raced so I don't know it that is true or not. However in my last EV (Hyundai Ioniq Electric) it had these paddle shifters that allowed you to step up and down the amount of regen. When I wanted to take a long sweeping turn very fast (like an off ramp, or freeway connector) I could increase the regen (like downshifting) and accelerate through the turn and it worked amazingly. I actually wish all EVs had those paddle shifters for the regen, I think it was a great feature.

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 Boxster S,(prior M3P,Mach E,Taycan), 23 Plaid S
Country flag
In my experience using sport modes on ICE cars, the vehicle revs much higher when aggressively pressing the accelerator. Thus, when you lift off, you are in a lower gear and experience transmission braking. I think this is what they are attempting to emulate.
They are largely doing the same thing; whether they are attempting to emulate this or just attempting to improve range (for stop-and-go driving ... I believe higher regen braking on wide open highway more likely hurts range if you are not very careful with accelerator lift-off) is up for debate. FWIW, the Chevy Volt had the most intuitive regen mechanism of the 6 EVs I've owned to date ... Just moving gear selector from drive to low increased regen and made it much more responsive in stop-and-go traffic. I wish Tesla/Ford/ others adopted more intuitive and dynamic change of regen like my old Volts had.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
No you are not the only on, the lift off regen is far to aggressive for my tastes in unbridled. Feels like lifting off in first gear so I am not sure why a large does of lift off that can easily unsettle a vehicle mid corner is classed as sporty when unbridled extend disables lift off & brake blended regen all together..

The lift of regen being attached to a mode gets also gets a big fat negative from me to the point that I have added independent control of lift off regen to my must have list along with adaptive suspension to any future BEV purchase.

Naturally this has a lot to do with your local but as I live in a hilly area the lift off regen in any mode other than whisper costs me range as I have to drive down a hill instead of the regen holding me at the speed limit. The downside of whisper is the light weight steering feel, the steering feel is already poor on the mach-e and the whisper settings makes it even worse.

If ford where not so boned headed about giving people a custom option like other manufactures I would be able to pick from the various mode presets and have the regen and suspension in whisper for everyday use, the throttle mapping in engaged and the steering in unbridled but as I can't it becomes a case of pick your poison and in a BEV range wins out.

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 Boxster S,(prior M3P,Mach E,Taycan), 23 Plaid S
Country flag
I actually believe it is for cornering... in an ICE car, if you want to take a corner very fast you can throttle with your right foot and brake with your left foot at the same time. It helps stabilize the car. Someone told me it was a technique used on the track, but I have never raced so I don't know it that is true or not. However in my last EV (Hyundai Ioniq Electric) it had these paddle shifters that allowed you to step up and down the amount of regen. When I wanted to take a long sweeping turn very fast (like an off ramp, or freeway connector) I could increase the regen (like downshifting) and accelerate through the turn and it worked amazingly. I actually wish all EVs had those paddle shifters for the regen, I think it was a great feature.
For a REAR WHEEL DRIVE ICE car (or some RWD EVs like my RWD Mach E), in track or at least traction control disabled mode, you can press the brake and accelerator simultaneously to induce oversteer (front wheels grab and then rears will kick out more), which might make you go slower or faster depending upon the track, but is considered more fun by most. I use it to kick the tail out when I want to do donuts in the snow and it isn't quite slippery enough to do with throttle and steering alone. Apart from regenerating power, keeping the disk brakes cooler, and slightly quicker initial deceleration, AWD EVs don't gain any performance advantage from higher regen, and best Nurbergring track times on Model 3 Performance was obtained with lower regen to keep the batteries cooler and be able to do more than one lap without going into lower power mode.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I do wish we could have a custom drive mode and set some of those things independently instead of being stuck with the 3 preset options.
Sponsored