First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Quick “Best Practices” question,

When the car is plugged in and actively drawing power from the EVSE (in my case a ChagePoint Home Flex) what is the proper way to unplug it? Usually I just unplug and everything’s fine, but a few times I’ve heard a little pop as I unplug, like there was a little spark.

Should I stop the flow of power from the EVSE first? Should I stop it at the car? Does pressing the release button next to the charging port do anything when AC charging (ie Not DC).

Also, should I be worried about the 2 times it popped a little? I didn’t see a spark or anything, and it seemed fine. I just don’t want to do any damage.
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

When the car is plugged in and actively drawing power from the EVSE (in my case a ChagePoint Home Flex) what is the proper way to unplug it? Usually I just unplug and everything’s fine, but a few times I’ve heard a little pop as I unplug, like there was a little spark.

Should I stop the flow of power from the EVSE first? Should I stop it at the car? Does pressing the release button next to the charging port do anything when AC charging (ie Not DC).

Also, should I be worried about the 2 times it popped a little? I didn’t see a spark or anything, and it seemed fine. I just don’t want to do any damage.
I believe the J-1772 standard states that it will immediately disconnect power when you press the trigger button on the charger plug to remove it.
You don't need to worry about that. Just unplug it.

If you are worried, you can always stop charging through the FordPass app first.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag

If you did see a spark, there would be cause for serious concern. Not because there was an arc (which is likely what you’re hearing if there is current flowing while you unplug), but because the arc is lasting long enough that it is extending past the connector. The points where the connector makes contact electrically are not right at the edge of the plug or receptacle, they are recessed, so there should be significant coverage of any arc that occurs.

As an electrician that works in power distribution, we do everything we can to not disconnect devices while they are under a load (drawing current) because that arcing you hear can cause damage in to and including a short. The design of the plug/receptacle system should prevent that, but most of the times that bad stuff happens in my line of work, it’s opening or closing a switch/breaker/plug while current is flowing through it. The best, safest (for you, the vehicle, and the esve circuit) practice would be to stop the current, then remove the plug. Where you stop the current is up to you. You can do it from the button beside the receptacle, or from the esve if that’s easier for you, but stop the current then unplug.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe the J-1772 standard states that it will immediately disconnect power when you press the trigger button on the charger plug to remove it.
You don't need to worry about that. Just unplug it.

If you are worried, you can always stop charging through the FordPass app first.
Thats interesting, I wasn't sure if the trigger release did anything electrical. Usually I do press it down, wait a half a beat, then pull. Maybe the times it popped I pressed and pulled too quickly?

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
There should be no spark. That's an indication you are hard interrupting the charge, not good. Pop the lever, give the car 2 seconds, then pull. Everything on EV charging give it a few seconds compared to ICE. Alternately press the center button, you will hear a couple of clicks as car disconnects then you can pop lever and pull.

Depending on EVSE turning off at EVSE can be interpreted by car as a electrical fault and cause more responses. I don't recommend long term.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Where you stop the current is up to you. You can do it from the button beside the receptacle, or from the esve if that’s easier for you, but stop the current then unplug.
That is good to know, and would be my first instinct. I wasn't sure if the button next to the receptical actually stoped the charging though. Does it?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Thats interesting, I wasn't sure if the trigger release did anything electrical. Usually I do press it down, wait a half a beat, then pull. Maybe the times it popped I pressed and pulled too quickly?
Yes, it seems like it does nothing, but if you press (and hold) the button, power will disconnect and remain disconnected in a matter of milliseconds.
You won't notice the car immediately reacting, though. But after a few seconds it may kick the fans off or something, I've noticed that.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pop the lever, give the car 2 seconds, then pull. Everything on EV charging give it a few seconds compared to ICE. Alternately press the center button, you will hear a couple of clicks as car disconnects then you can pop lever and pull.
Ok good to know. Just so I understand, pressing down the lever on the handle does stop the flow of electricity? Also, does pressing the button next to the chagrin port stop it as well?

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, it seems like it does nothing, but if you press (and hold) the button, power will disconnect and remain disconnected in a matter of milliseconds.
You won't notice the car immediately reacting, though. But after a few seconds it may kick the fans off or something, I've noticed that.
Ok, I'll give that a try. Press and hold it down for a few seconds and see if the car or EVSE reacts.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Ok good to know. Just so I understand, pressing down the lever on the handle does stop the flow of electricity? Also, does pressing the button next to the chagrin port stop it as well?
Yes, on AC charging EVSE both methods will allow the car to stop charge, white light will flash and you can pull plug.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ok, I'll give that a try. Press and hold it down for a few seconds and see if the car or EVSE reacts.
Even if it doesn't, rest assured it's engineered to be idiot proof. It will cut the power the moment you press the latch button on the handle.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, on AC charging EVSE both methods will allow the car to stop charge, white light will flash and you can pull plug.
Thanks! I wish Ford was a little more clear on this in the manual. It goes into what that button does for DC, but not AC charging.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even if it doesn't, rest assured it's engineered to be idiot proof. It will cut the power the moment you press the latch button on the handle.
Thanks! I feel like if it was idiot proof, then I am the idiot that used it wrong. Most likely by pressing and pulling too quickly. ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes. You can stop the charging by pressing that button next to the charge port.

i always just press the button on the J-1772 handle and pull it out. Have been doing that to unplug the Leaf for three years now with no issues.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just tried the button on the handle. That worked perfectly. Held it for a second and I heard all the car relays click and the EVSE click off.

Yes. You can stop the charging by pressing that button next to the charge port.
When I pressed the button everything stopped for a second, then it started back up again. Seemed more like a reconnect than a disconnect.

Either way, the handle worked. That will be my primary way to disconnect now. I really with the manual made that clearer. There is a whole page diagram to tell you which side of the car is the left vs right, but charging gets protocols are not as clearly explained.
Sponsored