sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Just tried the button on the handle. That worked perfectly. Held it for a second and I heard all the car relays click and the EVSE click off.

When I pressed the button everything stopped for a second, then it started back up again. Seemed more like a reconnect than a disconnect.

Either way, the handle worked. That will be my primary way to disconnect now. I really with the manual made that clearer. There is a whole page diagram to tell you which side of the car is the left vs right, but charging gets protocols are not as clearly explained.
Perfect.
As for the manual, I guess they skipped that because it doesn't matter. When the J-1772 standard was developed, a huge focus was making it as safe as humanely possible. It's designed to be suddenly unplugged mid-charge and be completely safe.

Inside the physical EVSE plug, just so you know, there are some control electronics which are wired to that button. It all works to stop the flow of electricity locally and instantly.
I suppose it's possible if something failed, then the button wouldn't work, but even then the worst that would happen would be a tiny spark, but well before you got the plug out of the car to the point where it could actually hurt you. And then it would be stopped anyway by the EVSE unit.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Perfect.
As for the manual, I guess they skipped that because it doesn't matter. When the J-1772 standard was developed, a huge focus was making it as safe as humanely possible. It's designed to be suddenly unplugged mid-charge and be completely safe.

Inside the physical EVSE plug, just so you know, there are some control electronics which are wired to that button. It all works to stop the flow of electricity locally and instantly.
I suppose it's possible if something failed, then the button wouldn't work, but even then the worst that would happen would be a tiny spark, but well before you got the plug out of the car to the point where it could actually hurt you. And then it would be stopped anyway by the EVSE unit.
Thank you so much, that is all great info!!

It’s funny because it is completely intuitive to use, I just didn’t know what it was doing. I actually had been pressing, waiting a beat, then pulling, just in case. I didn’t know that was how it was designed to be used. The times I heard the little pop I probably just pressed and pulled a little too quickly.

Thanks again!