Software Engineer
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Back on topic: Has there been any official confirmation of the 70K order number (or additional information delved from other sources confirming), or why they're still taking orders? Just curious.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Even more off topic, which do you recommend the ceramic coat or the vinyl wrap. I have not heard of either until now.
OK, back of topic, I got the answers to my questions here, but who is going to do the ceramic coat?
I live / work near the ocean, and I wonder if that would help with rust?

ddlt

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NX 300H Rx350 CX5 Mach E reserved Galaxy 500 in a time long ago
Country flag
OK, back of topic, I got the answers to my questions here, but who is going to do the ceramic coat?
I have ceramic coat on my Lexi
Dirt just wipes off.
I highly recommend it for your new mme.
I’ll be applying it to mine.
I don’t know if it will make the care more rust proof.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Dirt just wipes off.
Did you apply it yourself?

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Dirt just wipes off.
Thanks for the feedback! Anyone else have experience with ceramic coat and rust prevention? Or do I even need to worry about rust prevention with this kind of higher end new vehicle?

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback! Anyone else have experience with ceramic coat and rust prevention? Or do I even need to worry about rust prevention with this kind of higher end new vehicle?
Oops that should have been 236 ;)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I'm hardly the one to be responding, but that's not stopped me so far on this forum so ...

PPF is a clear vinyl-like film that can be applied over parts of or the entire surface of your car. It will protect the paint from minor rock damage and the like. Minor. Minor. It may or may not provide UV protection and it is removable from painted metal surfaces without peeling the paint off. From painted plastic surfaces, that's another story I'm told.

I personally have zero experience with PPF as there is literally no one on this island I live on that does either vinyl wraps (like to change my MME from Infinite blue to Chevy Hugger Orange ) or PPF protective films.

Your car will need to be spotlessly clean, polished, and shiny with no swirl marks, etc before the protective film is applied.

Ceramic coatings bond with a very clean, swirl mark free paint job and create an ultra-smooth, ultra-shiny protective layer. Dirt can literally be rinsed off at times. It bonds with paint, glass, wheels, headlamps, plastic, etc. It does provide UV protection but provides no minor scratch protection from flying pebbles.

There are various types (or grades if you prefer) of Ceramic Coatings. Some are spray ons that might last 6 months. Others are professionally applied due to the solvents used, consist of multiple thin layers, and can be guaranteed for as long as you own the car. These vary in price from inexpensive (enough) to How much do you have, give it all to us. Between the extreme high end professional ceramic coatings with lifetime warranties and the cheap sprays are various other types of professionally applied ceramic coatings and higher-end do-it-yourself products.

All these require meticulous attention to prepping the car before applying a ceramic coating, whether it's a better DIY or a more reasonably priced professional-grade coating. A better DIY product should last about 5 years if applied properly and if the car is cleaned (as in washed) every 2 weeks or so and maybe an occasional booster spray on it. Stuff sitting on the paint is murder -- coated or not.

I'll have the MME (whenever I get it) ceramic coated. Why? Because there is no PPF businesses on this island and we have a big UV issue in Hawaii. It murders our cars. I have little experience with DIY products outside of Avalon Kings Armor Shield 9 on my Polaris Ranger, but it looks really nice. My Tacoma, on the other hand, is 14 years old and was waxed religiously for over a decade with high-end carnauba wax, it looks very bad.

Others have a lot more realistic experience with either or both of these. Then there's the 57 million advertising hits you get with Google search.

Good luck.

Sponsored