Using automatic Lane Centering

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I really hope that behavior is changed. A light on the button or a small icon on the screen is fine, but taking over the entire center of the screen for a function that a lot of people will want on all the time is an odd decision.
I thought so too. But it's consistent placement of the icon for both the lane centering cruise functionality and lane keeping. So I can see why it's there in the same place, but I'm not a fan. I think using lane keeping alone is different use case than using it with the cruise.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I thought so too. But it's consistent placement of the icon for both the lane centering cruise functionality and lane keeping. So I can see why it's there in the same place, but I'm not a fan. I think using lane keeping alone is different use case than using it with the cruise.
Agreed. If they just add an option to always keep the speedometer in the middle, that would be fine too. I'd be fine with the Lane Keep icon being off to the side, even when ACC and Lane Centering is on.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
How bad is the ping-ponging with LKA?

NotSoJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Mustang Mach-E reservation holder
Country flag
Agreed. If they just add an option to always keep the speedometer in the middle, that would be fine too. I'd be fine with the Lane Keep icon being off to the side, even when ACC and Lane Centering is on.
My hope is that they release an OTA that let's you adjust the positioning of information in the infotainment screen.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I know Ford is not offering heads up display and perhaps the placement of the instrument panel makes it not necessary - but if you had heads up display - it can show the LC/LKA in the center while the instrument cluster can have some fixed elements.

Or show the speed around a circle in the middle with digital gage and the center of that circle can be for LKA/LC or other stuff

Ok I will stop redesigning and second guessing Ford designers :)

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How bad is the ping-ponging with LKA?
The job of Lane Keeping is to keep you from gently drifting out of the lane so it slightly nudges you back into the lane, it won't push you way over to the other side of the lane. The only way I could see getting a ping-pong effect is if you are doing it on purpose by not steering. If you have your hands on the wheel and slightly drift out it will help you correct the drift, but if you keep steering over to outside of your lane it will let still let you drive out of the lane.

If you don't want to be actively steering then use the lane centering cruise. That is designed to help keep you in the middle of the lane with minimal input from you hanging onto the wheel.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you don't want to be actively steering then use the lane centering cruise. That is designed to help keep you in the middle of the lane with minimal input from you hanging onto the wheel.
I think he's asking if lane centering is like tesla autopilot. Apparently for the first 50-100 miles autopilot wanders around in the lane until it starts to figure out how to stay centered

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think he's asking if lane centering is like tesla autopilot. Apparently for the first 50-100 miles autopilot wanders around in the lane until it starts to figure out how to stay centered
Ah. In that case they are different. I've found that often the lane centering takes a few seconds to find the middle. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not starting off from the middle of the lane but it seems to 'bounce' off of the side of the lane just once and then it does just fine from there. I drove my wife's Explorer with the lane centering and intelligent adaptive cruise 150 miles on the expressway without touching the gas/brake or correcting the steering (just manual lane changes).

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Yes Lane-keep is not Autopilot and not meant for hands free. I was asking about "keep" not centering. I've "tested" my lane-keep on an empty hwy and it's not that strong and allows you to go over the line before adjustment.

NotSoJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Mustang Mach-E reservation holder
Country flag
Anybody know if you have to have your hands at 10 and 2 for it too recognize you're holding the wheel or could you hold the bottom of the wheel, for example?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anybody know if you have to have your hands at 10 and 2 for it too recognize you're holding the wheel or could you hold the bottom of the wheel, for example?
Your hand position is not as important but you have to apply some light torque (weight) to the wheel. I will hold it at either the 5 or 7 and it works fine. If you hold it right at the bottom you would have to twist the wheel slightly to apply the weight for the torque sensor.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Your hand position is not as important but you have to apply some light torque (weight) to the wheel. I will hold it at either the 5 or 7 and it works fine. If you hold it right at the bottom you would have to twist the wheel slightly to apply the weight for the torque sensor.
I wonder how long it will go before it yells at you if you don't hold the wheel.

I know my Fusion will yell at you from experience. I mean, I've been told - yeah, that's it, I've been told.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I think it’s like 10-15 seconds.
I would concur (just took a little spin and apparently I have a really light touch on the steering wheel as it kept complaining about that even though my hand was on the steering wheel).

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I really hope that behavior is changed. A light on the button or a small icon on the screen is fine, but taking over the entire center of the screen for a function that a lot of people will want on all the time is an odd decision.
I just rented a Toyota Rav4, did the same thing. Although you were able to customize it to show the speedo bigger.
Sponsored