Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Eh, it’s more than the connector. I’ve never really had issues charging at DCFC, but I also was knowledgeable enough to check what was operating correctly before my trip. Shouldn’t have to do that, so hopefully will be easier for newbs down the line.
Sponsored

Ajp247

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Agree from experience that public charging with CCS is disgraceful and actually embarrassing.

Fins160

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Select C/T Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I would prefer to see a comparison video with identical vehicles - say a Tesla at both a CCS and supercharger.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
At this point there are plenty of articles and videos regarding this topic that another video or article about this topic is redundant. In several months some EV drivers will be able to use Tesla's network via an adapter; that is what we should focus on so that new EV drivers are aware of the better option.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
At this point there are plenty of articles and videos regarding this topic that another video or article about this topic is redundant. In several months some EV drivers will be able to use Tesla's network via an adapter; that is what we should focus on so that new EV drivers are aware of the better option.
Ok, then two Mustang Mach Es. One at a supercharger with magic dock and one at a DCFC. Don’t show me an orange and a piece of broccoli and try to tell me it’s a valid comparison.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Tesla has started rolling out V4 at 3 locations in the US, they added CC readers and a screen, they still have magic docks limited to 350A, and they are NOT supporting 1000V at this time. And for magic dock sites there is still a reliance on the app, at least for now.

We shall see how the experience is for everyone. For vehicles that will charge above 150kw, or at 800V, I expect there will be a lot of complaints.

https://insideevs.com/news/691211/tesla-v4-superchargers-us-ccs-adapter-credit-card-reader/

dbeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
HS teacher
Country flag
I think one of the most frustrating 'features' of CCS DC fast charging stations is them advertising 150kW or 180kW or whatever, but the vast majority won't get that because of a 200A cable or the like. We have one that just got installed a mile from my house advertising as one of the fastest in the state at 180kW. BUT, it is limited to 200 amps, so the most my car can get is high 70s kW. Many will think the charger is broken, or their car is broken (if uneducated), but everything is working fine....except the advertising.

Same thing happened in this video, and I'm glad he addressed it early.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
... Ameren Missouri has been known to deliberately limit the speeds of their chargers in the past to disincentive their use. Wish someone would investigate them for that—
they *could lose the NEVI grant money if they are auditted and show less than 98% 'uptime' providing at leat 4 handles at 150kW each.

And Ford, if you're listening, this is why we need a kW, amps, and voltage display in the Mach-E while charging
or at least actual kW in-out on the instrument display at all times.... maybe under the MPH ? This is possible today, but only using ODB2 and an app like CarScanner displayed either on phone or cast to center console (which I have never really figured out how to do).

It would be so nice to have a 'user configurable' display to show whatever sensors you wanted 'real-time'.

This makes it SOOOOO easy to see your

Ford Mustang Mach-E Video Shows How Much CCS Sucks Compared to Tesla dashboard_4 power-chg temps-lv DC curr-kwhr

SpeedRacer72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD select, 2018 Mustang
Country flag
I thought that video was fantastic, and I'm glad someone started a thread on this.

In addition to the things noted above, one takeaway I think needs to be addressed is that SO MANY CCS fast chargers require you to download an app or go to their proprietary website to initiate a transaction. What I'd like to see (in addition to a guaranteed minimum kW rate) is that every charging station in the US MUST have a credit card reader that can initiate a charge without entering any information or downloading an app.

I don't want these companies tracking my usage, and I don't want to download a new app for each company.
Beware what you wish for. I used a charger recently from a company called EV Green or something like that and I did not have my credit card with me so I used my bank card.
The charger had issues starting the charge and would fault out, so I had to start the process over multiple times.
I ended up swiping my card 4 times before the charger started working.
Unbeknownst to me, Every time I swiped they placed a $50 hold on my bank card.

I ended up with 4 holds totaling $200 on my bank for a week.
All for $20 worth of electricity

tbrumleve

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium eAWD Standard Range
Country flag
LOL. Please elaborate. Some (including me, until about a year ago) have been saying this for three years.
We all get access to Tesla Superchargers with an adapter next year. 2024. The following year, the NACS port will be standard.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
@tbrumleve and @Fins160 my skepticism is twofold. First, Ford is known to distort the meaning of the word “soon” more than most black holes distort space/time. Second, even assuming we get said access… so does pretty much everybody else. Superchargers will be swamped if they are they only working infrastructure.

I’ve been waiting nearly three years for decent DCFC. I’m not holding my breath.
Sponsored