TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think that's old, like from right after the reveal. This is what you get from the first page on web site:

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 12.17.37 PM.png

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/v/cars/xc40-electric
Still guessing that's 250 WLTP, not EPA.

The current US page says 200 (EPA)...

Powerful battery
The large 78 kWh battery gives a range of over 200 miles* and can easily be charged at home or at a DC fast-charging station. It also allows effective pre-heating as well as pre-cooling of the cabin.

*Real-world range may vary. Figures are based on preliminary target. Final vehicle certification pending.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/about-volvo/human-innovation/electrification/pure-electric

WLTP is always higher than EPA. I don't think anything has changed.

Last edited:

Mchaelme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it’s old they have not updated their literature as that is what they sent me just yesterday along with my confirmed booking for my test drive !!!

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If it’s old they have not updated their literature as that is what they sent me just yesterday along with my confirmed booking for my test drive !!!
I hope that you come back here and let us know what you think of it!

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For those complaining about Ford's lack of communication about the Mach-e, consider this: I received the first direct communication email from Volvo since the reveal almost 11 months ago. It said:

Your XC40 Recharge will go
into production soon​
Fred, it’s almost time. We’ll be reaching out in the Fall with details for you to select customizations for the new pure electric Volvo XC40 Recharge you preordered. In the meantime, check out everything that life in electric will do for you, and the future of driving.​

The included link was to a full 40-second video about the benefits of an electric car. Absolutely nothing new about the car.

OP
OP

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
For those complaining about Ford's lack of communication about the Mach-e, consider this: I received the first direct communication email from Volvo since the reveal almost 11 months ago. It said:

Your XC40 Recharge will go
into production soon​
Fred, it’s almost time. We’ll be reaching out in the Fall with details for you to select customizations for the new pure electric Volvo XC40 Recharge you preordered. In the meantime, check out everything that life in electric will do for you, and the future of driving.​

The included link was to a full 40-second video about the benefits of an electric car. Absolutely nothing new about the car.
So, are you getting an XC40 Recharge, or still deciding?

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, are you getting an XC40 Recharge, or still deciding?
I have deposits on both the Mach-e and XC40. My preference would be the XC40, but it depends on what cost and range turn out to be. Right now neither are promising.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Cheapest I could configure this is at 68k CAD without the active cruise control features. That puts it a good 10k above my mach-E select AWD I have on order, and I loose the EV credit in my province. Range is about the same I believe. HArd sell.

Coming from a former S60 owner (the old version with the turbo I6) which was one of the best winter cars I ever owned.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
The XC40 was my first pick for a while (until I started researching the MachE seriously). The things that pushed it back for me were Volvo's recent quality/reliability, smaller cargo (the behind-seats is 15 cubic ft, vs 29 cubic feet on the MachE), shorter/uncertain range, and higher cost.

However, the towing, roof racks, and 10" shorter (the MachE is EXACTLY as long as my car can be - any longer and it wouldn't fit in my space) are nice features. Plus the Lava carpet looks sweet.

Keithl

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I have now test drive the Mach E (Premium ER AWD) VW ID.4 (RWD) Volvo XC40 Recharge and a while back a Niro EV. I will leave the Niro EV out now, but it was a decent car. The Mach E I have driven twice, once was 22 mile 1 hour drive. I had a short drive in the VW, a few miles, maybe 15 minutes. I also,had the CV40 out for about 20 minutes some side roads and brief highway stint. I wanted the Mach E, but the seats sucked and my leg was always jamming into the center console. Just could never find a comfortable position.also being as low as it is with that 117 inch wheelbase made is a pain to get out of my driveway without scraping the bottom. Some CUV/SUV. Also the Mach E ride while OK felt a bit jittery and clearly needs some refinement to deal with the dead weight of the battery.
The VW hit the mark VW is aiming for, a non-EV like experience for RAV4 and CRV owners. Curious to drive the AWD as the RWD felt like I was driving a RAV4, weak acceleration. Great refined ride, seats were good, very impressive car. Infotainment was a tad laggy, I hope they can fix that. The XC40 was very refined, smooth and a damn rocket ship launching. The Android infotainment was awesome, just say OK Google and you can control a lot in the car with it. Seats were great. I like the roof sun shade in the VW and Volvo. If only the Volvo were a few grand cheaper. Right now the VW is looking good to me. I have my eyes on the Kia EV 6 and Genesis GV 60.

Colorado Native

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 BMW 530xi, 2005 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
If only the Volvo were a few grand cheaper. Right now the VW is looking good to me.
I share the same opinions, although my list of Mach-e flaws is longer and includes grabby brakes and brain piercing high frequency sounds in the cabin. I'm still leaning towards the XC40, despite the cost premium. It's the XC40's lower range that gives me pause.

Keithl

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I share the same opinions, although my list of Mach-e flaws is longer and includes grabby brakes and brain piercing high frequency sounds in the cabin. I'm still leaning towards the XC40, despite the cost premium. It's the XC40's lower range that gives me pause.
Yeah I forgot about the brakes, felt like a switch, off or full stop. Remember the XC40 has AWD so the range gap is not as large. Was hoping VW would publish the ID/4 AWD numbers as a comparison. Pre-pandemic I was doing maybe 150 miles a week so the range of any of these is no problem for me.

I hope Ford improves a few things. I was tempted to get a 21 Bolt lease as Costco has $3K offer and then they are discounting them big time. With all the choices coming over next 12-24 months may be better to do something for few years until market mat.

Deleted member 3649

Run, don't walk, away from the XC40 Recharge right now. I had a deposit on one that was due early March. They held the cars at port for a few weeks due to a recall, and were supposed to deliver cars this week. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto have been pushed to 2022. A new heat pump issue is now holding up delivery for affected cars. But the far biggest problem is Volvo has not communicated at all with customers. It is borderline abusive how they are stringing folks along.

It isn't my problem anymore, as I pulled my order and bought a Mach E on Tuesday. Really should have bought that in the first place, so my story has a happy ending. But just run away from Volvo. They are either clueless or actively hate their customers.
Sponsored