Weird problem - having two MachE's and PAAK doesn't seem to work on one.

clhardy5

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Prem 4X (sold) and 2022 Space White GTPE
Occupation
teacher
Country flag
So....We have two MachEs - a 2021 Premium and a 2022 GTPE and everything was going great - PAAK was working flawlessly. I was able to switch back and forth between the cars in Fordpass etc....... Until the two recent OTA updates to the 2021 Premium (2.8.2 and 2.8.3) and the recent Ford Pass update.

Now....I can switch back and forth between cars in Fordpass - but only the image changes....the actual PAAK for the car, and all the functions in Fordpass only work with the GTPE. IE....I have the premium selected.....FordPass says bluetooth is connected.......try to unlock the doors via button - nothing.....try to unlock the doors via the app - and the GTPE doors unlock...same with rolling the windows down etc.

I've tried to close app and reopen multiple times....but nothing is working.

Anyone know a fix?
Sponsored

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
teacher
Country flag
@Murse-In-Airy you have 2 Mach-E's, can you switch back and forth with PaaK?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Weird problem - having two MachE's and PAAK doesn't seem to work on one. C8316EA5-D3B8-433E-8BF4-D3FD669E7BF8
Ford Mustang Mach-E Weird problem - having two MachE's and PAAK doesn't seem to work on one. F094B925-08FE-477B-B72D-5FE7C4A7E7B6

yep…. I can switch back-and-forth. And it appears Bluetooth will connect. Unfortunately, the pack won’t work on the red premium. If I say unlock the doors, it will unlock them on the GT even though I have the premium selected and connected to Bluetooth.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
We each have PAAK set up on our respective vehicles. If we want to drive each other’s.. we take a fob.

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
teacher
Country flag
We each have PAAK set up on our respective vehicles. If we want to drive each other’s.. we take a fob.
That's fine....but would prefer NOT to :). My issue is that FordPass and PAAK was working fine for both cars in my account until the update....I could easily switch back and forth - but now it isn't. Since there is a way to add multiple cars in a single Fordpass account.....and it was working fine.....I would like it to work fine again!

I'm wondering if the new update messed it up....and now I'm wondering if there is place where I can submit a bug request.

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
I have a feeling a lot of these PAAK issues are just due to using older bluetooth versions. I have a smart watch which I'm assuming was causing issues too. I went from an older galaxy 8+ to a pixel 6 recently and have noticed a major difference. The car now wakes up when I'm way further away while before I was lucky if the door was working when I was next to the car and sometimes I'd have to use the keypad when it was really messed up. I'm assuming the major difference was between bluetooth 5.0 vs 5.2 https://www.faceofit.com/bluetooth-5-2-vs-5-1-vs-5-0/ .

Maybe select the car you want, then close the app (actually close it not leave it running in the background) and reopen it with the car you need to get into preselected? Def sounds like a prob with the app settings but maybe someone should create a poll for those with PaaK issues to find out what kind of phone and bluetooth versions they all have if they haven't already.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Try updating the RFA module on the '21, that is the bluetooth module. The newer versions of the FordPass app don't seem to play well with the older RFA module software. I don't think the FordPass team is testing with the outdated RFA software anymore, so some odd behavior is expected.

Hopefully '21s get an OTA update for the RFA later this year, but taking it to the dealer is your only option until then.

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
teacher
Country flag
Try updating the RFA module on the '21, that is the bluetooth module. The newer versions of the FordPass app don't seem to play well with the older RFA module software. I don't think the FordPass team is testing with the outdated RFA software anymore, so some odd behavior is expected.

Hopefully '21s get an OTA update for the RFA later this year, but taking it to the dealer is your only option until then.
I have an appointment next week to get the HV battery thing done, and have printed out all the other modules that need to be updated. I'll ask about the RFA module as well. Thanks!

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
Until the two recent OTA updates to the 2021 Premium (2.8.2 and 2.8.3) and the recent Ford Pass update.

If 21s haven't had an RFA update yet, and he said it was working before the 2.8.2/2.8.3 & Ford Pass update. Wouldn't that mean the fordpass update broke his ability to swap between the two or some other factor, not a module update of RFA? Or are you saying 2.8.2/2.8.3 updated RFA with older module software than he had prior installed on RFA?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I have an appointment next week to get the HV battery thing done, and have printed out all the other modules that need to be updated. I'll ask about the RFA module as well. Thanks!
Mention you are having phone-as-a-key problems and SSM 50485 so there is a reason to update the RFA module. They will not update modules without a concern to justify the update.

If 21s haven't had an RFA update yet, and he said it was working before the 2.8.2/2.8.3 & Ford Pass update. Wouldn't that mean the fordpass update broke his ability to swap between the two or some other factor, not a module update of RFA? Or are you saying 2.8.2/2.8.3 updated RFA with older module software than he had prior installed on RFA?
Yes, the 4.18.0 FordPass update probably broke it (it broke a few things actually), not the OTAs. But if Ford is abandoning backwards compatibility with old RFA module software, then it would be wise to upgrade the car's software level so you have car and app versions that were tested to work together.

Job 1 2021 vehicles that didn't have 21P22 or 21B36 updates done have really outdated RFA software, many improvements have been made since the initial release and there hasn't been an OTA update yet for the RFA software. I'm guessing that was initially planned for late last year, but got pushed back a year due to major BlueCruise OTA issues.

It comes down to this—if anyone has major issues with PAAK not working, they should visit their dealer with that SSM and make sure the RFA software is up to date. The current software has been perfected to the point I'm comfortable using it exclusively (haven't had any issues with PAAK not working personally).

k4455

First Name
Kaushik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Following

Same with me, have two Mach Es and PAAK doesn’t work on one.

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
teacher
Country flag
Update! Took the car in to get the recall and all modules updated. PAAK works great again! I do believe updating the module that works with the bluetooth was the issue!
Sponsored