What does precondition screen look like with level 2 charging?

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT Iconic Silver
Country flag
For the screen below, when you precondition on 240V/level 2, does it say anything about battery preconditioning or does it still just mention cabin? Trying to deduce if the 110V is doing anything at all to the battery temp with a scheduled departure, or if it’s not even trying!

Ford Mustang Mach-E What does precondition screen look like with level 2 charging? AD20EE83-3146-4CAC-BB72-2882B71C6A18
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
OP
OP
MachMachWhoThere

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a whole discussion on what Preconditioning does in the "Remote Start vs Preconditioning" thread, found here:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/remote-start-vs-preconditioning.11954/
Yeah I’ve read that thread and others, and I understand what preconditioning does. But I’ve seen speculation in a different thread that 110V precondition cannot precondition the battery. I see no such indication in the manual that 240V is required for battery preconditioning. So, to go back to the original question I had, if someone with a 240V can confirm that the precondition screen mentions the battery as well, it conclusively answers that question. If it also mentions only the cabin, then the mystery, to me at least, remains. Until I hear positive confirmation from Ford, but I don’t think that will happen.

It’s a meaningful distinction to me. For my driving habits, I can pull enough miles out of the 110V, so I could theoretically avoid upgrading to 240V in a house we may not keep even through the end of 2022. Unless, that is, 240V provides a meaningful difference in battery preconditioning - then I might pull the trigger.

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag

OP
OP
MachMachWhoThere

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FWIW, in the video below, there's a disclaimer around 00:12 that "effectiveness of cabin conditioning may be reduced by extreme outside temperatures or when using 120-volt charging.

PRECONDITIONING YOUR CABIN | 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Videos | Ford Owner Site | My Ford Vehicle | www.ford.com
Nice link, thanks. Interesting that at that slide it mentions both battery and cabin preconditioning, but only mentions cabin preconditioning being limited in the fine print. I’d like to think I could deduce that to mean battery preconditioning is not limited, but you never know with Ford, they just might have left “battery” out of the disclaimer for no good reason lol. ?‍♂

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I think its safe to assume that the battery isn't heated when using Level-1.

Ford's prior BEV the Focus Electric wouldn't heat the battery with Level-1 and the Mach-E's battery is a much larger thermal mass.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
When you precondition on Level 2 it
Displays a banner at the bottom of the app like it does for charging, but that’s all. I haven’t tried it on 110, but I know when I precondition and cool the cabin the car pulled a little under 2kW, so it’s possible.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What does precondition screen look like with level 2 charging? 3C62BF3D-DD19-47F8-8712-76A1209EF4A2

OP
OP
MachMachWhoThere

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Displays a banner at the bottom of the app like it does for charging, but that’s all. I haven’t tried it on 110, but I know when I precondition and cool the cabin the car pulled a little under 2kW, so it’s possible.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What does precondition screen look like with level 2 charging? 3C62BF3D-DD19-47F8-8712-76A1209EF4A2
Very cool - thanks for this. Interesting to see the remote start pulled more power than precondition. But perhaps that was due to exterior temps.

OP
OP
MachMachWhoThere

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh and BTW, I got the screenshot in the original post by clicking on the same banner you are talking about. Next time you precondition, would you mind clicking on that banner and seeing if the text at the top of the pop up is different than mine?

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
For the screen below, when you precondition on 240V/level 2, does it say anything about battery preconditioning or does it still just mention cabin? Trying to deduce if the 110V is doing anything at all to the battery temp with a scheduled departure, or if it’s not even trying!

I’m certainly no expert in this, but I’ll give you my experience and opinion.

First, I don’t think preconditioning the battery does anything unless the temp is low. Or if it does its only for a very short time. I base this on watching the FordPass app closely with departure times set on L2 charging. The only time I’ve seen a notice other than the cabin conditioning is when it was cold (25F) and the car was outside. In this instance FordPass specifically mentioned “preparing for departure” hours before I left (Level 2 charge) and then “preparing cabin” with less than 20min until departure.
I have no idea what L1 will do, but I’ll let you know soon. Currently charging L1 and it’s going to be 25F tonight. Departure times set…I’m very interested if anything will happen.

OP
OP
MachMachWhoThere

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m certainly no expert in this, but I’ll give you my experience and opinion.

First, I don’t think preconditioning the battery does anything unless the temp is low. Or if it does its only for a very short time. I base this on watching the FordPass app closely with departure times set on L2 charging. The only time I’ve seen a notice other than the cabin conditioning is when it was cold (25F) and the car was outside. In this instance FordPass specifically mentioned “preparing for departure” hours before I left (Level 2 charge) and then “preparing cabin” with less than 20min until departure.
I have no idea what L1 will do, but I’ll let you know soon. Currently charging L1 and it’s going to be 25F tonight. Departure times set…I’m very interested if anything will happen.
Definitely interested to hear how that turns out!

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very cool - thanks for this. Interesting to see the remote start pulled more power than precondition. But perhaps that was due to exterior temps.
Ya I mean those screen shots were 2 days apart at the end of October in a reasonably insulated garage. I don’t remember if I had changed the climate settings between then though.

I will test on the same day with the same exterior temp. The only differing factor will be that the departure settings are set to warm, and the remote start is set to auto.

I’ll try tapping on the precondition banner too.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did a test. The far left on the graph is when my car charged up from returning home. The second spike was when I remote started. I think it was topping up the battery the 1% it was off from its target. The third spike was when it started a new thing which I hadn’t seen before “Preparing for Drive”, different than preconditioning. The third spike and following plateau is the precondition before departure. I did tap on the preconditioning banner and the status page looked the same as yours.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What does precondition screen look like with level 2 charging? 109FC14B-C36A-4C31-83B7-F01D00419C5A
Ford Mustang Mach-E What does precondition screen look like with level 2 charging? 9FED3923-50F0-49D1-B2A2-01420C7C320C
Ford Mustang Mach-E What does precondition screen look like with level 2 charging? 81F6399D-1514-41EA-B4E0-186EB58C73D6

OP
OP
MachMachWhoThere

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did a test. The far left on the graph is when my car charged up from returning home. The second spike was when I remote started. I think it was topping up the battery the 1% it was off from its target. The third spike was when it started a new thing which I hadn’t seen before “Preparing for Drive”, different than preconditioning. The third spike and following plateau is the precondition before departure. I did tap on the preconditioning banner and the status page looked the same as yours.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What does precondition screen look like with level 2 charging? 81F6399D-1514-41EA-B4E0-186EB58C73D6
Very interesting. Everything with Ford is a mystery! So, no clear answer on the banner text - but clearly your precondition pulled more power than my 110v would be able to. If nothing else I’m less efficient at it. Or mine is supplemented by battery power - which could be the case because I already lost 1% at 0.1 miles into my journey the other day when I had preconditioned.

Thanks for humoring me with my little experiment/comparison!