Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Mower is electric (but corded)

House has a small grid-tied PV system (2.2kW)

Recently installed a Pioneer mini-split heat pump (Chinese heat pumps, but with a US distributor) - 21 SEER, if you can believe it. Even heating it is considerably more energy and cost efficient than our natural gas furnace.

Rest of the house is all LED, high efficiency appliances, etc.

Surprisingly, given how low our annual electricity use is, adding a MachE would more than double our entire electric demand. Xcel energy has a moderate renewable portfolio right now, and hopefully they keep improving it. We do pay for 100% wind source, but there are open questions about whether that is actually causing them to build more wind, or whether they are just shuffling the deck and charging me to feel good.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I've had a 2018 for 3 years now and it's been very useful. There was an issue with the onboard charger module, but after replacement, no problems. The dealer took 4 tries to figure that out though.

Thanks for the first-hand account! I was worried after reading a couple reviews where people reported loud engine noise and being in and out of shop for recalls and repairs.

i imagine now that it will be out for it’s fourth model year, I hope the recalls and lemons will be a thing of thing of the past. It does seem like really the best option for an electrified large vehicle.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Probably the first thing I electrified was my toothbrush. :D

More recently, when I bought my house the propane company welcomed me to the neighborhood by disconnecting my tank. I'll tell you what, a cold shower at 5:30 in the morning is not the way to my wallet. I called them and they quoted some law, no doubt lobbied through by the propane industry, and said for a marginal fee they would reconnect it with a safety inspection. I was going to reluctantly suck it up and pay that fee- until they said they were going to charge me for the propane that was in the tank that they had already sold to the previous homeowner. I told them to F off and come get their tank. They did, and I went and got an electric water heater. Well, it's been four and a half years of not having central heat. The same day I bought the water heater I bought a couple cords of oak and have never looked back. It doesn't get any more carbon neutral than burning oak to heat the house. Plus I have about 75 oak trees on my property, so I have a couple that fall each year and I cut those up and burn them along with the 3 cords I buy.

Anyway, in addition to my regular gas powered Stihl chainsaw, I have a nice Stihl pole saw for those hard to reach branches. But, this past year I bought two batter powered chainsaws. They don't have a lot of longevity, but they work GREAT for cutting branches up into kindling.

Pics or it didn't happen..

Ford Mustang Mach-E What else have you electrified? gta26_700x700%20(2)[1]

Ford Mustang Mach-E What else have you electrified? d53c0019-138f-4fbf-b2f5-3854e9b545ff_xcu06z_p_1500px[1]

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Pretty much everything:

Vehicle
Clothes Dryer
Heat (except for gas backup)
Stove
Oven
Waterheater

The water heater and clothes dryer are both heat pumps and are fantastic. I hated electric clothes dryers because the clothes always came out full of static and scorched but with the Miele they come out perfect (can set how dry you want them). The water heater cools the garage in summer. Big plus.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Everything:
2017 Volt (trade in for MME)
2019 Bolt
2021 MME
Heat pump heat/air conditioner (Mitsubishi). Works great (most HVAC guys here told me it is impossible)
Heat pump water heater
10.695 solar array (charge cars directly with solar as often as possible, daytime, rotate car usage)
battery back up
critical load panel (back up)
stove/oven, clothes dryer, etc.
NO GAS line
virtually zero fossil fuels for energy ( I produce more electricity than I use)
fighting COGU (Coal Oil Gas and Utilities) has been quite a challenge, hopefully the war will be won by us sooner than later

Last edited:

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Not nosy, after all I use it prominently.

It's a film I was involved in. Won at Sundance, Emmys, several other places. Check it out. It's on Netflix and if you don't have a Netflix account you can watch it for free on Netflix's YouTube channel:
https://www.chasingcoral.com
Make sure you watch it! You will be stunned by the beauty and the stunning scary information. Mark has a starring role.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
We have Solar, so that helps us with some of our heat and cooking. I also tell google and Alexa to turn stuff on and off. Only energy efficient stuff is allowed in California, so our lights, and appliances etc. are all rated. Not sure if this is true in the rest of the country, but the remainder of the electricity we can't get from out Solar we can choose to get from Wind, and I like that.

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
Chainsaw
Polesaw
Leaf blower
Hedge trimmer
String trimmer
Heat pump (4-head split)
Heat pump water heater

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We have most of the items already mentioned, including solar/battery backup and net energy production year to year. One I have not seen mentioned: electric heated floors in bathrooms and guest house. Installed the wire grid and laid porcelain tile over it. Has programmable timer just like a house thermostat. And, yes, the electricity comes from my solar/battery system. I also have a cordless Makita power tool set, with Lithium Ion batteries: impact drill with clutch, impact driver, circular saw, sawzall, work light. Still strong after many, many years.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I forgot to mention that I also replaced the propane stove in the RV with an induction one.

That qualifies as "electrifying" ;)

Rotting Piñata

First Name
Adi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon hybrid
Country flag
We replaced our oil burning furnace with a geothermal system in 2013. At the time there was a 33% federal tax credit, which made the decision to switch much easier. We're saving well over $1000/yr in heating and AC costs. And we no longer burn a few hundred gallons of oil each winter.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag