Anyone else have a disappointing test drive?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'm very similar to your situation. I test drove a Select AWD two days ago (posted my review here: Groundhog Day MME Test Drive - Ann Arbor, MI | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com ). I also currently drive a BMW 328d and ordered a MME Premium AWD ER.

My review of the MME is positive, and I had my Tesla Model Y test drive only 6-7 weeks ago, so I had a good comparison. The test drive met my expectations of the vehicle, and the fact that my son loved it helped as well! No motion sickness from my end, and I actually really liked the 1-pedal driving option...I feel like you get used to it VERY quickly. Every time I'm decelerating I feel great about the fact that I'm recharging the battery AND not wearing down the brake pads.

About the comparison to a BMW: I love BMWs and have driven them the last 11 years. I think the MME is a pretty good substitute; the suspension is a bit less firm, but still stiff enough to keep me happy. The steering and braking aren't as refined, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for zero emissions, great acceleration, and a LOT less maintenance (as a fellow BMW owner you know what I'm talking about).
Note that the Mach-E does have a blended brake and thus even if you use the brake pedal you're still regenerating and thus not using the friction brakes (until the very last little bit).
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Once you learn to modulate the 1pd, the motion sickness thing lessens. If nothing else, you can easily turn it off if there's passengers in the car with you.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I'm very similar to your situation. I test drove a Select AWD two days ago (posted my review here: Groundhog Day MME Test Drive - Ann Arbor, MI | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com ). I also currently drive a BMW 328d and ordered a MME Premium AWD ER.

My review of the MME is positive, and I had my Tesla Model Y test drive only 6-7 weeks ago, so I had a good comparison. The test drive met my expectations of the vehicle, and the fact that my son loved it helped as well! No motion sickness from my end, and I actually really liked the 1-pedal driving option...I feel like you get used to it VERY quickly. Every time I'm decelerating I feel great about the fact that I'm recharging the battery AND not wearing down the brake pads.

About the comparison to a BMW: I love BMWs and have driven them the last 11 years. I think the MME is a pretty good substitute; the suspension is a bit less firm, but still stiff enough to keep me happy. The steering and braking aren't as refined, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for zero emissions, great acceleration, and a LOT less maintenance (as a fellow BMW owner you know what I'm talking about).
Some BMW the whole engine has to come out to do transmission work. let's just say the cost is unreal.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone else had motion sickness concerns? I do get motion sick when I'm a passenger, and I almost felt like I could feel it in the MME even as a driver. Worried my kids will have trouble in the back seat!
I've wondered about that too. But I assume that's a product of driving it like a sports car (fast starts, fast turns, etc). I don't plan to do that. I pretty much plan to drive it like I do now in my Escape (with just a little 'wow' thrown in here and there). Don't know if I'll use 1PD yet, but I'm guessing not.

The Mach-E really tries to merge sports car with CUV. But it's not 100% one or the other. Reviewers often try to measure against one or the other (like this "Not a Mustang!" crowd), but it's not. For me I want 80% CUV and 20% Mustang, and I think it's gonna nail that pretty well. But I've only sat in one, not driven yet.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I guess one might want to ditch OPD if motions sickeness is an issue. Problem then solved, right?
I hope (and avoid the fast "sports car" driving). But I do worry a tad about what coasting is like (which really isn't coasting since the motors are always engaged). Sounds like the effect is all about the car slowing you down faster than people are used to in a gently coasting ICE when you take your foot off the pedal. I'm hoping the MME mimics coasting well when taking the foot off the accelerator, not slow you down and throw you a little forward. Doing that back and forth is what causes it.

I'm expecting to stay in Whisper most of the time, without 1PD. But I'll play with it to see.

ArtyMachy

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 Select AWD
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Motion sickness does seem to be a common complaint with 1 pedal driving enabled; apparently you have to get used to it so it's not such a herky-jerky ride. Probably similar to riding with someone just learning to drive stick shift.
It is simply a matter of changing our habits. In ICE cars we used to let go off the accelerator immediately to apply the brakes and you decide how fast you brake by applying pressure on the brake pedal. In OPD you need to let go of the accelerator slowly as the car is starting to brake immediately. Jerkiness comes from people removing the foot of the accelerator too quickly.
I personally love it once I got used to it I would never go back.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
It takes a couple of weeks to get the hang of one pedal driving. IT will become second nature and then you will swear you would never go back to an ICE. After driving the wife's Leaf all weekend and then going back to driving my truck I really miss. I especially think about all that energy that is being wasted by using regular brakes. Then when you sit in line at a fast food restaurant and think about how much gas is being wasted by all the idling ICE vehicles around you...not to mention stop and go traffic. A BEV uses almost no energy except for climate control and electronics while sitting still.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
After all the positivity, I feel like my experience was lacking. Maybe I built it up to much?

The driving experience... it just didn't feel right. I played with 1 Pedal on/off and mostly in Unbridled. I'm wondering if the lack of noise feedback just threw me off (even with the fake sound on). I used to have a 2011 BMW 335i that was absolutely a dream to drive. I did not feel the same in the MME.
Anyone else had motion sickness concerns? I do get motion sick when I'm a passenger, and I almost felt like I could feel it in the MME even as a driver. Worried my kids will have trouble in the back seat!
Honestly after getting to the end and seeing you’re also worried about motion sickness and your kids causing trouble ... it seems like you’re panicking. My suggestion is to calm these voices, center yourself, meditate, and let go of the frantic energy.
Everything’s gonna be alright.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Just got home from test driving a Select AWD (maybe w/ Tech package). This is the first time I got to see the MME in person. I've read just about everything on this forum, and watched all the YouTube reviews. After all the positivity, I feel like my experience was lacking. Maybe I built it up to much?

First of all, the car looked great - I was very happy that the pictures online did it proper justice. It was smaller than I had expected from the exterior, but plenty big in the main cabin. The rear storage was smaller than I'd hoped, but no big deal. The interior was very nice. The screen interaction was plenty fast - no lag.

The driving experience....I'm not sure what I think yet. I'm new to BEVs - drove a model S once many years ago. The MMW was certainly fast, deceptively fast I think due to the lack of sound. It was super quiet. But it just didn't feel right. I played with 1 Pedal on/off and mostly in Unbridled. I'm wondering if the lack of noise feedback just threw me off (even with the fake sound on). I used to have a 2011 BMW 335i that was absolutely a dream to drive. I did not feel the same in the MME.

I only drove for ~20min, and not really on any "fun" roads. So maybe just not enough time to get comfortable? I have a Premium 4X on order, and my dealer should have a FCTP coming in a few weeks. So I should have plenty of chance make up for today's experience. Planning to test drive a MY and an e-tron as well just for comps.

Here's hoping you will follow up with post once you test the MY and E Tron.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
I thought the one pedal driving in unbridled had more aggressive braking then in the MY I drove. It was difficult to be smooth with a short test drive. In the other modes, the feel was quite similar to the MY, and it was easier to make fine adjustments. If you spent most of the drive in unbridled, I recommend another drive in engage only.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
regen one pedal driving is a skill. It takes a couple of tries to accustom oneself. Fantastic once you get it down. Not for everyone.
Also, most folks are not familiar with that kind of acceleration.

ESilver

First Name
Sterling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Titan, Sequioa, Yukon, Rogue
Occupation
Business
Country flag
My wife was motion sick after 2 blocks in the MY. Hopefully the MME and more experience behind the wheel will be different and most of my family has motion sickness issues.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
If you get motion sickness don't test drive a Tesla, they are worseo_O
Funny you say that. Today I gave co-workers a test ride in my new MY. I floored it to show the 0-60 quickness a couple of times. I got back to my office and started feeling a little nauseous. Guess I won’t be doing that too often.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
played with 1 Pedal on/off and mostly in Unbridled.
You should probably test more in whisper mode. Unbridled I would expect to more likely to cause motion sickness (note, I haven't had a chance to drive a mach e yet, just going by the technical descriptions of how they differ). Whisper should be able to accelerate just as fast, you will just have to press harder on the pedal to do so.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Give it another go. Turn one pedal driving off. Turn the engine found on. Leave it in engage and just drive it. No 0 to 60 nausea inducing time trials. Stay out of unbridled till the end. Try whisper and in the way back switch to unbridled for the driving snd passing experience, nothing more.

You’re not the first person to comment on nausea from the test drive. Not even the first this week. Drive it like a caryou’ve had for awhile and see how that feels. Oh sn leave the one pedal off. ;)
Sponsored