Anyone else have a disappointing test drive?

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
You’re not the first person to comment on nausea from the test drive. Not even the first this week. Drive it like a caryou’ve had for awhile and see how that feels. Oh sn leave the one pedal off. ;)
I have heard several, but previously I thought all (definitely at least most) were passengers that experienced it.
Sponsored

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
When the first model S came out. Dear lord the pedal mapping was not that good. you would get motion sickness all the time. Still in a model 3 performance, my nephew can make your stomach like an ocean. Yes, tesla are worse on that.
I test drove a model 3 performance and got nauseous when i floored the accelerator...won't do that again?

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
You need to be able to adjust the 1 pedal driving.
The easiest way to adjust 1 pedal driving is to get used to feather the pedal up and down to adjust your deceleration and acceleration speed.

I have a Chevy Bolt with 1 pedal drive and once you learn how to use it, you will drive so smoothly. It is easy to learn after about a week of getting the muscle memory with your foot.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
It only took me a day or so to fall in love with 1-pedal driving on my i3. It has no way to turn it off, so you're forced to learn it. I wouldn't have it any other way though now.

After letting my partner drive, who was inexperienced with 1-pedal driving, I can easily see why/how someone could start to feel nauseous...

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
I had some jerky driving when learning 1 PD with my Bolt.

My wife thought there was a problem with the car....

I took the car for a long drive by myself to figure it out. Took about 1/2 hour.

Now it is the only way to drive!

It is just learning to feather out the accelerator pedal!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You should probably test more in whisper mode. Unbridled I would expect to more likely to cause motion sickness (note, I haven't had a chance to drive a mach e yet, just going by the technical descriptions of how they differ). Whisper should be able to accelerate just as fast, you will just have to press harder on the pedal to do so.
Yep. Start off in Whisper mode with OPD off. Don't show off 0-60. That should do the trick.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
I hope (and avoid the fast "sports car" driving). But I do worry a tad about what coasting is like (which really isn't coasting since the motors are always engaged). Sounds like the effect is all about the car slowing you down faster than people are used to in a gently coasting ICE when you take your foot off the pedal. I'm hoping the MME mimics coasting well when taking the foot off the accelerator, not slow you down and throw you a little forward. Doing that back and forth is what causes it.

I'm expecting to stay in Whisper most of the time, without 1PD. But I'll play with it to see.
One pedal driving is something I really like in an EV. A big deal.

I know it doesn't sound like it, but it's sort of like when we first got TV remotes and everyone said, "I don't need that. Getting up to change the channel is not that hard." ;)

You can be very smooth with OPD, but you have to learn to slowly let off of the accelerator, not lift your foot completely and suddenly, like you do in a conventional system. It's more like the throttle in an airplane, if that helps...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I know it doesn't sound like it, but it's sort of like when we first got TV remotes and everyone said, "I don't need that. Getting up to change the channel is not that hard." ;)

You can be very smooth with OPD, but you have to learn to slowly let off of the accelerator, not lift your foot completely and suddenly, like you do in a conventional system. It's more like the throttle in an airplane, if that helps...
I know some people love it and some hate it. I really don't know which I'll be yet, but I'm anxious to play with it.

However, I'm a heavy user of cruise control already. My ankle gets a little sore on longer drives, so I started getting used to using cruise control a long time ago. To the point where I use it in town a lot now too, even off the highway. I take it off when there's heavy traffic or stop & go, but the rest of the time I usually have it on so I don't have to use my foot/ankle. All that to say that relying on my ankle even more (which 1PD does for precise control both up and down) is something I'm thinking I probably won't like as much. But I'll see. Plus, when I'm in CC, 1PD turns off anyway, so maybe that'll be a good combo.

Anyway, just hoping to get the car soon to try it out!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Whisper with gentle application of OPD should be really smooth.
Unbridled with vigorous application of OPD should feel like hard acceleration mixed with downshifts and heavy engine braking -- but without the sound.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
After driving two BMW i3s over the past five years, I can't imagine driving a car without one-pedal driving. I suppose the MME might not be as smooth, but I agree with the others above that it takes a few days to master it. That said, I don't recall being nauseous in the i3 while I was learning.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I have a utility tractor with hydrostatic drive. A single pedal takes you all the way from full throttle to deceleration and into reverse. It took me a while to get smooth with it and I'd guess the learning curve with OPD will be similar. Maybe my experience with it will give me a head start?

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Just got home from test driving a Select AWD (maybe w/ Tech package). This is the first time I got to see the MME in person. I've read just about everything on this forum, and watched all the YouTube reviews. After all the positivity, I feel like my experience was lacking. Maybe I built it up to much?

First of all, the car looked great - I was very happy that the pictures online did it proper justice. It was smaller than I had expected from the exterior, but plenty big in the main cabin. The rear storage was smaller than I'd hoped, but no big deal. The interior was very nice. The screen interaction was plenty fast - no lag.

The driving experience....I'm not sure what I think yet. I'm new to BEVs - drove a model S once many years ago. The MMW was certainly fast, deceptively fast I think due to the lack of sound. It was super quiet. But it just didn't feel right. I played with 1 Pedal on/off and mostly in Unbridled. I'm wondering if the lack of noise feedback just threw me off (even with the fake sound on). I used to have a 2011 BMW 335i that was absolutely a dream to drive. I did not feel the same in the MME.

I only drove for ~20min, and not really on any "fun" roads. So maybe just not enough time to get comfortable? I have a Premium 4X on order, and my dealer should have a FCTP coming in a few weeks. So I should have plenty of chance make up for today's experience. Planning to test drive a MY and an e-tron as well just for comps.

Anyone else had motion sickness concerns? I do get motion sick when I'm a passenger, and I almost felt like I could feel it in the MME even as a driver. Worried my kids will have trouble in the back seat!
I have used 1 pedal driving for
Note that the Mach-E does have a blended brake and thus even if you use the brake pedal you're still regenerating and thus not using the friction brakes (until the very last little bit).
I have used one pedal driving (driving in ‘low’) in my Chevy Volt for years. You quickly develop feel for easing up on the accelerator to slow more gradually and it becomes very smooth. i love it!

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Just got home from test driving a Select AWD (maybe w/ Tech package). This is the first time I got to see the MME in person. I've read just about everything on this forum, and watched all the YouTube reviews. After all the positivity, I feel like my experience was lacking. Maybe I built it up to much?

First of all, the car looked great - I was very happy that the pictures online did it proper justice. It was smaller than I had expected from the exterior, but plenty big in the main cabin. The rear storage was smaller than I'd hoped, but no big deal. The interior was very nice. The screen interaction was plenty fast - no lag.

The driving experience....I'm not sure what I think yet. I'm new to BEVs - drove a model S once many years ago. The MMW was certainly fast, deceptively fast I think due to the lack of sound. It was super quiet. But it just didn't feel right. I played with 1 Pedal on/off and mostly in Unbridled. I'm wondering if the lack of noise feedback just threw me off (even with the fake sound on). I used to have a 2011 BMW 335i that was absolutely a dream to drive. I did not feel the same in the MME.

I only drove for ~20min, and not really on any "fun" roads. So maybe just not enough time to get comfortable? I have a Premium 4X on order, and my dealer should have a FCTP coming in a few weeks. So I should have plenty of chance make up for today's experience. Planning to test drive a MY and an e-tron as well just for comps.

Anyone else had motion sickness concerns? I do get motion sick when I'm a passenger, and I almost felt like I could feel it in the MME even as a driver. Worried my kids will have trouble in the back seat!
Go back and do the test drive again in whisper mode. Since two of the biggest differences between the modes is accelerator and brake pedal mapping unbridled mode would be a bad choice for someone prone to motion sickness. All three modes offer the same performance and efficiency, so you are not giving anything up.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
OP
OP

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
Glad to report that my previous test drive of the Mach E must have just been a "bad day".

Yesterday I drove 2 hours to test drive a Model Y. I put 75 miles on it in 2 hours, so a fairly thorough drive on interstates, curvey country roads and some city. Got used to 1PD quickly this time. It drove great, very, very fun but at the same time easy to drive.

When we got done with the Y, my wife said we should go drive a Mach E. So I cold called a couple dealers in the area and found one ready and waiting.

Took a Premium Ext AWD out for ~45min on some of the same route I took the Y on. Much better experience this time! I didn't have as much time to get "comfortable" in the Mach E, but I was very happy nonetheless. My dealer's FTCP came in yesterday, so hopefully I'll be able to convince them to let me have it overnight in the next couple weeks. According to the VIN tracker, my car was also built yesterday - so I'm back to being excited!
Sponsored