What is the likelihood being able to see and sit inside a Mach E before our own shows up?

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Right. Although Ford used the term refundable reservation, but it is switched to deposit (nonrefundable or refundable at dealer choice) when it was converted to an order.
Sponsored

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Just because you think it is so, doesn't make it so. The deposit was always non refundable for special orders, that is why it's a deposit so the dealer isn't stuck with a vehicle they can't sell. Offering a refundable deposit on the mach e is special and makes sense in the supply limited vehicle, covid times, but not all dealers are doing that.
Nope:

Only if in writing and signed by both parties.

If you did not agree in writing to making the deposit non-refundable, and the contract must be dated, with specifics as to the car, options, price and delivery date, and signed by both the dealer and you and a copy given to you, then the deposit is refundable.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The contract must be dated, with specifics as to the car, options, price and delivery date, and signed by both the dealer and you and a copy given to you, then the deposit is not refundable.
Fixed that for you.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Of course not: If you agreed it was non-refundable, unless there is a counter prevailing state statue, then the dealer can keep the deposit. (although I think from a PR point of view that would be very short sighted on the part of the dealer)

But more to the point:

• My deposit does not say it is non-refundable: further I doubt if anyone agreed in writing to make it non-refundable; and
  • In New York and I suspect in every other jurisdictions, the presumption is that all deposits are refundable unless clearly set forth to the contrary in a written contract signed by both parties
I have not signed any contract with the dealer.

Have you?
sure did even posted on here before. One dealer where I live said the deposit was not refundable, another one said I could not have it refunded but moved to another ford product, and the rest said yes refundable.

From a PR standpoint also be honest and fair to your dealer. You as the consumer are working on an agreement. You should ask about the deposit before anything is agreed.

Same as different retailers have different return policies.
What's coming and I already saw the talks about it. Tesla has taken a big hit with people ordering cars and not taking them. 7-day offer gone. They don't have the dealerships to help with that loss.
Now other auto manufacturers are trying online orders. People order and don't take will have a cause in effect where the deposits are more and if the vehicle is not taken, 20% of the deposit is kept and the rest is refunded. Just like a restocking fee.

It is a double-edged sword.

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True, many states have consumer protection laws. However, not everyone lives in New York, and the laws are different from state to state.

That is if they did not do an order form. Most dealers required an order form with the deposit before the vehicle is scheduled for production so this is irrelevant.

That may apply if the delivery date slips more than 30 days beyond the original estimate. Some have slipped a week, but it's not expected to slip 30 days beyond the original estimate.

The most import point, none of this mentions a test drive being a valid reason to obtain a refund.

Are you a dealer? If not why are you persisting?

Nearly every state has consumer protection laws, especially for autos, making deposits refundable:

Those laws require specific contracts, with specific terms as to price, delivery, options and most importantly be signed by both parties and a copy given to the consumer.

This is the only way to make a deposit non-refundable.

Absence a contract, signed by both parties, copy given to the buyer, that specifically says the deposit is non-refundable, it is refundable.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Nope again:

With AMEX, they immediately credit back the amount in dispute.

They then give the retailer, the auto dealership, the opportunity to answer the dispute.

The dealership would have to prove that the deposit was "non refundable" by showing in writing that you agreed that it was non-refundable, which of course they cannot do.

End of story!
Not exactly - as it varies depending on amount, retailer, etc. Sometimes they may credit you immediately, or they may request that you submit documentation and they review it prior to issuing the credit.

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope you are wrong:

The presumption is that all deposits are refundable.

To make a deposit non-refundable you need a dated contract, specific as to price, options and delivery, with clear language stating the deposit is non refundable and the contract must be signed by both the dealer and the buyer and a copy given to the buyer.

This is the law in New York. I know of know state that does not have similar laws that protect the consumer in dealing with an auto dealership.

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right. Although Ford used the term refundable reservation, but it is switched to deposit (nonrefundable or refundable at dealer choice) when it was converted to an order.
Nope:

Unless you signed a contract in writing the deposit is refundable.

State consumer protection laws are very clear on this: to make a deposit non-refundable you need a contract in writing, dated with specifics as to price, options and delivery and most importantly language that specifically that states the deposit is non-refundable and signed by both dealer and buyer and a copy given to the buyer.

Absence such a specific contract, the deposit is always refundable.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope you are wrong:

The presumption is that all deposits are refundable.

To make a deposit non-refundable you need a dated contract, specific as to price, options and delivery, with clear language stating the deposit is non refundable and the contract must be signed by both the dealer and the buyer and a copy given to the buyer.

This is the law in New York. I know of know state that does not have similar laws that protect the consumer in dealing with an auto dealership.

This is true. Has to be a contract. Now, what is a big if. Does the dealership somewhere in the store or on the website they own say the deposit is not refundable.
Right before the build week did the dealer call and confirm the build and at that point could also bring up the deposit.
On another note, even your deposit does not mean the vehicle you ordered is yours. Any dealer can get that order and sale it before it is sold to you also.
No contract. Dealer can call you and say the mache is here and you say ok on my way. not show up and do it a couple of times. Dealer can say well nevermind him I will just sell it. No contract.

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
sure did even posted on here before. One dealer where I live said the deposit was not refundable, another one said I could not have it refunded but moved to another ford product, and the rest said yes refundable.

I have no signed contract with the dealer. All I have is an email. Nothing in there about the deposit only a confirmation of my order. Price is subject and there is no delivery date.

Love to see a screen shot of your contract with your dealer that is dated, gives the price and delivery date of your MME and states that the deposit is non-refundable.

Under NY law, and I believe every other jurisdiction, a contract without a firm price and delivery date and not signed by both parties is not enforceable.

Without a signed contract to the contrary all deposits are refundable.

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not exactly - as it varies depending on amount, retailer, etc. Sometimes they may credit you immediately, or they may request that you submit documentation and they review it prior to issuing the credit.
Not with AMEX.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have no signed contract with the dealer. All I have is an email. Nothing in there about the deposit only a confirmation of my order. Price is subject and there is no delivery date.

Love to see a screen shot of your contract with your dealer that is dated, gives the price and delivery date of your MME and states that the deposit is non-refundable.

Under NY law, and I believe every other jurisdiction, a contract without a firm price and delivery date and not signed by both parties is not enforceable.

Without a signed contract to the contrary all deposits are refundable.
well if you look long enough your find it on here. No delivery date on it. It was even faxed to me and signed and faxed back since the dealer is very far away.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What is a reservation?

The reservation is the opportunity for customers to configure and be among one of the first to order the Ford Mustang Mach-E all-electric SUV with a $500 refundable Reservation Deposit. It is not an actual order and does not guarantee delivery.1

What steps are required to complete my reservation?

Go online and select your preferred configuration of the Mustang Mach-E, create a Ford account, select your preferred EV certified Ford Dealer, and enter your credit/debit card details and address. A confirmation receipt will be sent to the email address provided by you.1

What is a Ford Account and why do I need one?

A Ford Account lets you sign in to the Ford website to save and manage your personal and reservation information. You need to create a Ford Account to pre-order the new Mustang Mach-E. Reservations can be tracked in your Ford Account at owner.ford.com/1

Can I select any Ford dealer?

Only Ford EV certified dealers are able to order and sell the Mustang Mach-E. The eligible EV certified dealers will be provided based on your ZIP code, or you can enter the name of your favorite Ford dealer and will be matched to them provided they are EV certified.

Can I make changes to my reservation?

You will be able to make changes and finalize your configuration at the time you place your order.1

Can I cancel my reservation?

Yes. You can cancel your reservation anytime and receive a full refund.1 You can do this in your account at www.ford.com/. If for some reason, you cannot process the cancellation on-line you can contact a Ford Customer Experience Representative at 800-392-3673 (Ford U.S.). Upon cancelling, allow 7-10 business days for the $500 Reservation Deposit to be credited to your original form of payment.

When can I order my Mustang Mach-E?

You will be notified prior to the ordering window opening to finalize and confirm your configuration, confirm your dealer and agree on pricing with your dealer. Tentative ordering should begin in late spring 2020.

What happens to the Reservation Deposit if I order a Mustang Mach-E model?

The Reservation Deposit will be refunded back to your original form of payment within 7-10 business days after your dealer confirms your order.1

When will I take delivery of my vehicle?

Actual delivery times may vary based on vehicle model and configuration selected, residency & demand. Deliveries are expected to begin in late 2020. Once your vehicle is scheduled, you will receive further notification.

Am I buying this vehicle directly from Ford?

No. The Purchase Agreement shall be between you and the Dealer, not you and Ford. Your Reservation Deposit will not be applied towards the purchase price of the Vehicle. Instead, once you have entered into a Purchase Agreement, your Reservation Deposit will be returned to you.1

How many reservations can I make and can I transfer my reservation?

Up to two reservations per account. Your reservation number is assigned to you and cannot be transferred.1

Will you share my reservation information with my dealer?

Your reservation information will be shared with the dealer you select at the time of reservation. Please see our privacy policy at https://www.ford.com/help/privacy/ for additional information.1

*¹ By completing the Reservation Process, you are not ordering or purchasing a vehicle. Participation in the Program does not guarantee you vehicle delivery. Your Reservation does not guarantee a set price for the Vehicle.

there it all is "from" ford. Now if you ordered from your dealer, not the website and the dealer has their own rules. That is a different story. Contract signed or not.
Sponsored