Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I guess this post does bring up a question in my mind related to charging etiquette... I have pretty much never run into an issue with charging spots being fully occupied when I have needed them, but have come close when staying at hotels for the night. Let's say that I drive a long distance and need maybe 8 hours or so to recharge my battery fully for a long drive the following morning, but the charge will complete at like 3:00 a.m. Would it be inconsiderate of me to not set an alarm and wake myself up at 3:00 to go move my car to free it up for someone else or would most rational EV drivers allow me to remain in that spot until I wake up around 7:00-8:00 and check out?
Thatā€™s pretty much what people are saying, not sure how I feel about it.
Sponsored

Maki 1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTP
Country flag
What, haven't tested this on my Mach-e GTPE, I just got it a week or so ago. So when the charger is inserted and you lock the vehicle, doesn't this lock the charger so it can't be removed? My 2021 Audi e-tron locks the charger so it can't be removed until you unlock the vehicle.
ThatĀ“s what surprises me, because in Europe it is locked, when the car is locked.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I guess this post does bring up a question in my mind related to charging etiquette... I have pretty much never run into an issue with charging spots being fully occupied when I have needed them, but have come close when staying at hotels for the night. Let's say that I drive a long distance and need maybe 8 hours or so to recharge my battery fully for a long drive the following morning, but the charge will complete at like 3:00 a.m. Would it be inconsiderate of me to not set an alarm and wake myself up at 3:00 to go move my car to free it up for someone else or would most rational EV drivers allow me to remain in that spot until I wake up around 7:00-8:00 and check out?
That's taking things to the absurd.

This is about common sense etiquette, not ridiculous. We have stayed in hotels with the car almost always taking most of the night to be done. I would never wake up at 3AM to unplug my car, because there is little chance that a person needing a charge has a clue when my car will be done, and normally people don't sit up all night waiting for a charger to be open.

In the morning, I check the car's charging status, and look outside to see the parking lot status. In my experience, there is almost always an ICE or handicap permit vehicle parking in charging spots when a hotel is full or there are no close spots. Most of the time I'm the only vehicle charging.

At a recent stay in SC, we were the only hotel guest using one of the two 2-port chargers. One day one spot was blocked by an ICE truck that was too long (I emailed their company, and on following nights they parked elsewhere), other days I noticed a local Bolt coming in to charge while mom read emails and the kid ate snacks in the back seat. And a handicap truck that parked in the closer charging spot that wasn't handicap indicated.

As things get more congested, I will make signs/tags to indicate that someone should or should not unplug me. But I will never get up in the middle of the night to move my vehicle. Sorry, but I always plan for backup charging solutions (nearby DC chargers), and so should you.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
No, not inconsiderate if you have to wake up in the middle of the night to unplug.

MachEr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Not much more to the story than the title. A Tesla drove up to my car in a parking garage, parked next to me, and unplugged a L2 charger from my car and plugged it in his.

Thankfully the car is fine. I have his license plate written down... is there any way I could look up this individual's information? Would like to give him a phone call and explain to him to never do that again.
For some reason I picture Sea-bass from Dumb and Dumber when I read this... all I can think is, "Kick his ass, Sea-bass"

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Thatā€™s pretty much what people are saying, not sure how I feel about it.
Maybe @RickMachE and I have more in common than we thought! Because I agree with him on this.

It comes down to what is reasonable, I think. It is reasonable to expect someone to move their car when it finishes charging at 3:00 AM? No, that is not reasonable. It is reasonable to expect someone to move their car when it is finished charging at 7:00 PM, or 10:00 AM or any other time that is not in the middle of the night.

That said, I think the airport example is an exception. It is not reasonable to expect someone who is getting on an airplane to move their car when it finishes charging. Airports just need to put in more chargers.

Hotels are one of the worst situations for bad charger etiquette. The possibility that the charger is needed to get to the next stop is pretty high, especially if there are no close DCFC stations.

So if you block a charger by parking your car there when it does not need a charge, you are likely significantly impacting someone else. Or at least more likely compared to other locations. Hotels are destinations and stops on long trips for most people, and those chargers are as important as home chargers IMO.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Maybe @RickMachE and I have more in common than we thought! Because I agree with him on this.

It comes down to what is reasonable, I think. It is reasonable to expect someone to move their car when it finishes charging at 3:00 AM? No, that is not reasonable. It is reasonable to expect someone to move their car when it is finished charging at 7:00 PM, or 10:00 AM or any other time that is not in the middle of the night.

That said, I think the airport example is an exception. It is not reasonable to expect someone who is getting on an airplane to move their car when it finishes charging. Airports just need to put in more chargers.

Hotels are one of the worst situations for bad charger etiquette. The possibility that the charger is needed to get to the next stop is pretty high, especially if there are no close DCFC stations.

So if you block a charger by parking your car there when it does not need a charge, you are likely significantly impacting someone else. Or at least more likely compared to other locations. Hotels are destinations and stops on long trips for most people, and those chargers are as important as home chargers IMO.
Yeah, I would feel bad though if I kept someone from charging, but hopefully they had a backup plan if they were arriving in the middle of the night.

Gonna find out today as Iā€™m heading to the other side of the state in Daytona and picked a hotel that has a charger. I called and they said they still had it, but last check in on PlugShare is a year ago, so strange. Thereā€™s 2 DCFC near it though, so maybe thatā€™s why.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ThatĀ“s what surprises me, because in Europe it is locked, when the car is locked.
Personally I am glad the charger does not lock to the car because I can unplug the a-hole who is already fully charged yet still connected. Otherwise there are zero options to deal with inconsiderate people like him. Well, I guess I could put a note on his car. I have done that also.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
At my office as I mentioned we have a work policy to help manage the number of charging stalls open and employees that want to use them. Things such as:
1. If you pull up to a stall with someone already charging and they have completed charge you can move it over.
2. If you are finished charging move your car. If you see a charge door open near you when you do so, go plug them in.

This is just the right things to do. If you don't want your car touched I get that. Leave a note. But honestly perhaps in that case don't use public charging...

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I would feel bad though if I kept someone from charging, but hopefully they had a backup plan if they were arriving in the middle of the night.

Gonna find out today as Iā€™m heading to the other side of the state in Daytona and picked a hotel that has a charger. I called and they said they still had it, but last check in on PlugShare is a year ago, so strange. Thereā€™s 2 DCFC near it though, so maybe thatā€™s why.
The general rule should be to only use the hotel charger if you actually need it. Don't just use it because it is free - you may be keeping someone who actually needs it from using it. If your car is 80% charged at 10 PM, and that is enough to get to the next stop, it would be good to move it.

There is no way for others to judge if your 80% charge is sufficient, but you can judge yourself. I have parked in normal spaces many times when there are free charging spaces available, because while my car was not at 100%, I didn't need the charge. Someone else might.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Childish Low ball responseā€¦..

clingy loogie on windshield

lol. Kidding. Kindaā€¦.

Iā€™d give it up to the 10 percent we fear and avoid. You canā€™t fix ignorant and mean. It only rubs off on your life and makes it worseā€¦. just avoid

Jes sayin

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Next time, paint the plug with itching powder.

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Really guys ? In my country the cable is locked on both sides when charging starts. And it stays locked until i press the little button next to the cable and have unlocked the car.

Lots of tesla charging cables actually have been stolen in the past with a little trick. This trick/action is not working for our cars.

I am worried about the panel covering the charging port, because it happened more then once that is was kicked off. (not my car yet)

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Yes. This. My DH is almost too considerate. He would set his alarm. Then I would hear about what a pain it is to charge at a hotel because you canā€™t get a good nightā€™s sleep.
Sponsored