seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
volkswagen crosssport, c8 corvette
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Here is my advice based on my experience. If you are not in need right now then just keep your eyes open for people cancelling orders in your area. You may be able to get one that way before the next model year. Find out when orders will start for the next model year. If you want to order then get your order in as soon as possible when it opens. First come first serve is not how it works as there is also an allocation factor. The sooner you order though the better. My personal experience is ordered mid Nov and my vehicle was built Jan 31 and it is on its way. I have read several other posts of people having the same smooth process; although, many others obviously do not. I know I was the only order in Fairbanks Alaska at that time so I may have had a better priority due to dealer allocation. I did notice today that there are 5 more on order for the local dealer with no production dates. Just my experience. Of course things have gone so well my car will fall off the barge as it is crosses the Gulf of Alaska!
not unreasonable to ask to see their allocation sheet
Sponsored

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
''I knew that buying a car now is an ordeal. And I was somewhat ready for that. But I'm a New Yorker, I'm used to getting a deal on everything. I'll have to wait until that can happen.
The ā€œdealā€ you are getting now is just a different deal. Hereā€™s what I mean...

Your vehicle trade has a certain value now that is insane and overpriced. If you wait a year (which you might do even if you order today), the chances of your trade being significantly lower in value is high. I figure I probably ā€œoverpaidā€ $4-5k, but my car is worth about $6-8k more than it was in 2020 and given that itā€™s only worth $12-14k thatā€™s a big jump. I will take that deal any day!

Plus I drive a lot. When I started this process in October, I did the math and spent $250+/- on gas per month. End of Jan it was $300 and gas has gone up $.30 since then. Iā€™ll take that ā€œdealā€.

Finally, if rates even go up 1-2% by the fall or 2023 it will cost me $25-50 per month.

A deal isnā€™t always just a slash mark on the MSRP and a smaller number written under it.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The ā€œdealā€ you are getting now is just a different deal. Hereā€™s what I mean...

Your vehicle trade has a certain value now that is insane and overpriced. If you wait a year (which you might do even if you order today), the chances of your trade being significantly lower in value is high. I figure I probably ā€œoverpaidā€ $4-5k, but my car is worth about $6-8k more than it was in 2020 and given that itā€™s only worth $12-14k thatā€™s a big jump. I will take that deal any day!

Plus I drive a lot. When I started this process in October, I did the math and spent $250+/- on gas per month. End of Jan it was $300 and gas has gone up $.30 since then. Iā€™ll take that ā€œdealā€.

Finally, if rates even go up 1-2% by the fall or 2023 it will cost me $25-50 per month.

A deal isnā€™t always just a slash mark on the MSRP and a smaller number written under it.
Mmmm, Spoken like someone very experienced with vehicle sales.

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
Mmmm, Spoken like someone very experienced with vehicle sales.
This is very true although first new car Iā€™ve ever bought. RV sales are pretty similar. Or Iā€™m just trying to rationalize paying over MSRP for a car!

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Now if youā€™re hoping to be able to get a ā€œdealā€ by waiting for inventories to go back to pre-Covid levels so you can negotiate thousands less than MSRP, you may be waiting a very long time.
Sad. But true.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
This is very true although first new car Iā€™ve ever bought. RV sales are pretty similar. Or Iā€™m just trying to rationalize paying over MSRP for a car!
I can help you rationalize it with math if it helps.

In late 2020, Ford lowered MSRP by $3,000.

In 2021, inflation was about 6%.

So on a $50k MSRP, you can pay up to $6,000 over MSRP and itā€™s still the same ā€œpriceā€ it was a little over a year ago.

And if you have a trade in, it also may have gone up $4,000 in the last year.

That would mean even a $10,000 ADM would be the same as buying at the original MSRP.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can help you rationalize it with math if it helps.

In late 2020, Ford lowered MSRP by $3,000.

In 2021, inflation was about 6%.

So on a $50k MSRP, you can pay up to $6,000 over MSRP and itā€™s still the same ā€œpriceā€ it was a little over a year ago.

And if you have a trade in, it also may have gone up $4,000 in the last year.

That would mean even a $10,000 ADM would be the same as buying at the original MSRP.
That is impressive induction. Elsewhere in this forum there is a thread, seemingly lost, that asks ā€œRationalization or Rational Elucidation.ā€ You win the prize.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is impressive induction. Elsewhere in this forum there is a thread, seemingly lost, that asks ā€œRationalization or Rational Elucidation.ā€ You win the prize.
Lol. I could also call it ā€œhow I explained it to the wifeā€ math.

How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

Could also include average daily fuel or insurance savings by buying now vs waiting 6 months- $1500.

ICE maintenance/repairs/oil changes over the next 6 months- $300

Guaranteed tax credit vs ā€œwho knows?ā€ For a 2023 model (since 2022 ordering is closed)- Up to $7500.

Time saved by skipping the gas station for the next 6 months- 5 hours

Bottom line? Anything less than $100,000 for a GTPE is a deal right now! ?

OP
OP

LowRider

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier, Mini Clubman
I post. a lot on The Acoustic Guitar Forum. When someone asks ''Should I get this new guitar for SuchandSuch brand, the answer is always ''of course you should''. I sometimes refer to it at The Acoustic Guitar Enablers Forum. I see that this is the same way. Maybe they will change the name to the Mach-e Enablers Forum!

Another way to look at it is that the Mach-e is just a computer on wheels. Remember laptops 20 years ago? The computers were getting better every month and the batteries were getting better every week.

If I hold off for a year or two, all of the issues that people have now, range anxiety, cold weather anxiety, charging, etc, etc could all be gone.

If, in two years, the dealer now has two in every color on the lot and the price has gone up by 10% but he gives me a 15% discount just for asking, I'm still doing just great.

We'll see, I'll be around lurking and maybe asking questions here and there. It's good meeting you all and even though I don't own one yet, I still think it's a very cool car.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I post. a lot on The Acoustic Guitar Forum. When someone asks ''Should I get this new guitar for SuchandSuch brand, the answer is always ''of course you should''. I sometimes refer to it at The Acoustic Guitar Enablers Forum. I see that this is the same way. Maybe they will change the name to the Mach-e Enablers Forum!

Another way to look at it is that the Mach-e is just a computer on wheels. Remember laptops 20 years ago? The computers were getting better every month and the batteries were getting better every week.

If I hold off for a year or two, all of the issues that people have now, range anxiety, cold weather anxiety, charging, etc, etc could all be gone.

If, in two years, the dealer now has two in every color on the lot and the price has gone up by 10% but he gives me a 15% discount just for asking, I'm still doing just great.

We'll see, I'll be around lurking and maybe asking questions here and there. It's good meeting you all and even though I don't own one yet, I still think it's a very cool car.
Lol. ?

And I thought I was an optimist.

Yup, all your concerns will be solved in a year or two.

Guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat PB
Country flag
My biggest concern isn't necessarily the wait (I ordered in Jan 22). My concern is that I will be delivered a decontented version to what I was anticipating due to supply issues. I want my car, whenever it comes, to have everything I thought it did when ordering.

I have a 22' F150 I ordered that should be here in summer. Unbeknownst to me when I ordered it, it will arrive mildly decontented compared to the 21's. Things such as cup holder LED's, digital temp readouts on the controls, License plate and glove box LED's and a few other things. Maybe they aren't huge items, but to pay more than a MY2021 and get less is less than ideal.

Although I want my Mme and am excited, I don't want Ford rummaging through the parts bin to find something just to get it on it's way. I'd prefer to wait as long as it takes.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

I think that something that might not be apparent is that it is currently possible to get the Mach-E below MSRP, many people have. But it's through two Ford programs, not the dealer giving up the price on the vehicle.

The two programs are as follows:

(1) X-Plan pricing (which you can get by signing up to the Mustang Club of America for I think it is at least 90 days before your purchase OR being a Ford stockholder for at least six months before your purchase). It's some formula, but basically gives you around several hundred dollars off the list price depending on your specific variant and the MSRP your vehicle ends up with.

(2) With Ford Options financing (which works sort of like a lease but puts title in your name so that you can take the federal tax credit), depending on where you are in the country, there is an incentive for up to $2,500 off the purchase price.

So for myself with my SR AWD Premium Mach-E, I got it for a bit more than $3,000 under MSRP before taxes, tax credits, and everything else came into play.

So if I were in your shoes, the key is to find a dealer that will do the following: (1) won't charge mark up on a special order you place (get it confirmed in writing, if possible), (2) will accept X-Plan pricing, and (3) will fully refund your deposit if you no longer want a Mach-E when your order arrives in several months, and go ahead and place your order with them. If you feel at that time that is still not a good deal, you would be able to walk away without having lost any money - just having had $500 tied up in the deposit for the better part of the year.

Last thing to mention - Ford's tax credit is likely to start phasing out sometime in 2023. If you wait until then to place an order or buy one off the lot, you are likely to end up going more out of pocket in the end simply because of the expiration of that government incentive.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Although I want one, I don't need one. Both my wife's Mini and my Nissan Frontier are in excellent shape with no issues. I can wait until things get better for buying a car, maybe next year.

I realize that when you buy a new car, the dealer really has all the aces in his hand and you just try to do the best that you can. But right now the dealers act like they are doing you a favor by taking your order. It's like when Shake Shack first opened in NYC and all those people were waiting in line outside on the sidewalk for an hour to buy a hamburger.

It's a great car, but I'm going to put it in the ''maybe next year'' category for now.

It's sorta like the housing market. It's a sellers market for new cars and used cars.

Like NY I'm sure, in CA, houses sell in my area in about a week...I saw one open house on a weekend, sold in 2 days with multiple offers for over asking and more than it can be imagined. In the bay area, this is much worst.

Are things going back to normal soon? I think for EVs, that's not changing in the forseeable future. Gas prices are insane right now and EV supply is very limited. You see used Mach-e without a tax credit sell for near/over MSRP. Someone was wiling to lose $7.5k just to get it now.

If you don't need a car, you can definitely wait it out, but I think dealers are going to simply change the car buying model and move to ordered/sales model where cars aren't sitting on the lot and people will more likely pay closer to MSRP moving forward.

Caramel Mach-e-ato

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
There is an old saying in the logistics worldā€¦ā€™Good, fast and cheapā€¦you may pick twoā€™. I think we have now migrated to ā€˜ you may pick oneā€™.

Chip's Dream

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Is there any update on when 2022 MME orders will be shutdown? Has it already occurred?
Sponsored