Wheel locks?

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
Has anyone found any wheel locks for the Mach e? Have seen seen a rim on eBay selling for 250 a piece. With a brand new tire on it sure it’ll be more than that. So I have to secure all the wheels before any long trip.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
IMO a total waste of money. Any professional thief knows exactly how to defeat wheel locks and it's not rocket science. Not posting the method here, but you can Google it and discover it.

Make sure any rims and tires are able to carry the Mach-E's extra load.

Mach Tuch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order 23 MME GT, 08 Mustang GT Vert, 19 Audi Q7
Country flag
I find the wheel locks to just be an annoyance and mechanic forgets to put the key back in the car after the rotation. I’ve had to go back to get it twice.

OP
OP
MoonRiver

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m sure there is a lock there is a defeat. Putting Locks up to me is more to defer crooks than making it 100% safe.

Last edited:

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I agree that the professional is going to get your wheels. I put them on to keep the average schmuck from being tempted to steal my wheels. I called McGard for them to assist me. I wanted to order a set of locking and new lugs, all in black. I did not like the chrome ones against the black wheels. You can get them directly from them or just go to Amazon. These fit my MME GTPE. If you have something different, you might want to call McGard and double check. Hell, I would double check me anyways.

McGard 64074 Black (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size) Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nut, (Set of 4)
McGard 24216 Black Cone Seat Wheel Locks (M14X1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4

OP
OP
MoonRiver

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I find the wheel locks to just be an annoyance and mechanic forgets to put the key back in the car after the rotation. I’ve had to go back to get it twice.
That makes you a habit of getting it back before drive off.

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
My MME came with irregular pattern, spline-type wheel locks, one per wheel. Found the key in the glove box which prompted me to go look at the wheels and sure enough, there they are. I'd suggest looking at your wheels and see if there's already a locking lug nut on each one.

For what it's worth, the Lincoln MKZ I was borrowing while my MME was on the way has 150# lug nut tension, and conventional, star pattern locking lug nuts. They stood up to the 150# torque just fine when I rotated the tires, but I'd avoid using an air wrench on them. Came with the car as an option in this case, and made by McGard.

For regular spline-type lug nuts if needed due to lack of room in the lug nut space on an aftermarket wheel I'd highly recommend McGard over Dorman. We've used both on my wife's Gen-1 Volt and McGard are more robust, longer lasting, overall safer in my opinion.

OP
OP
MoonRiver

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My MME came with irregular pattern, spline-type wheel locks, one per wheel. Found the key in the glove box which prompted me to go look at the wheels and sure enough, there they are. I'd suggest looking at your wheels and see if there's already a locking lug nut on each one.

For what it's worth, the Lincoln MKZ I was borrowing while my MME was on the way has 150# lug nut tension, and conventional, star pattern locking lug nuts. They stood up to the 150# torque just fine when I rotated the tires, but I'd avoid using an air wrench on them. Came with the car as an option in this case, and made by McGard.

For regular spline-type lug nuts if needed due to lack of room in the lug nut space on an aftermarket wheel I'd highly recommend McGard over Dorman. We've used both on my wife's Gen-1 Volt and McGard are more robust, longer lasting, overall safer in my opinion.
Lucky you. They locked the wheel for you. Mine sure are just regular lug nuts, anyone has a 13/16 socket can have all beautiful rims and a whole set of new tires.

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
People steal wheels with common bolt patterns. Our bolt patterns are fairly limited in application. Not a huge opportunity to turn around stolen 5 on 108 wheels.
Sponsored