Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
2 EVs and a 1 car garage. We just trade off who gets the garage each night. Couldn’t you just park the car that needs to charge next to to the charger?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
When (if) my Lightning arrives, the vehicle that needs charging will get parked in the stall that the cable will reach. No need for a more complicated solution, for me anyway.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I would suggest you put the EVSE on the ceiling of your garage.
Grizzl-e duo has 2x 25' ft cables, and if you're charging a single vehicle its 40A, and when two are plugged in, it switches to 20A each. With a ceiling mount, there is no stepping over cables or extension cords to worry about.

In the future, you may have an EV with the charge port on the rear of the vehicle. If you choose a wall mount based on the front-left location of the MME, you'll be either backing into your garage or dragging a cable down to reach it.

OP
OP
SV8T

SV8T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler 4xE HA/Range Rover Sport SVR/Audi A7
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
We installed our JB 48 in the middle so it reaches all 3 bays. Many don't realize that JB sells variations of models in different channels. Big box stores have 20 ft cord. Mine is 25 ft.

If you buy another identical JB, you can have another outlet put in on the same circuit as JB offers load sharing.
I really like this idea and wish I would have found it when I installed the charger last April. When we got the 4xe, I wasn't thinking that we'd want to go full EV that soon. I office at home and don't do a lot of driving so we can get by with the one charger (until we go full BEV or add another for the kids!

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
2 EVs and a single ChargePoint Flex. The J1772 cable has no problem reaching both cars.

I plug in the Bolt when my wife gets home for the day and then plug in the MME before bed.

I repurposed a circuit that was originally for a cooktop and is 30 amps. I have not felt like I have ever needed more than the 24 amps configured.

OP
OP
SV8T

SV8T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
2 EVs and a 1 car garage. We just trade off who gets the garage each night. Couldn’t you just park the car that needs to charge next to to the charger?
We could but my wife isn't really that confident pulling in/out of the garage. She knows I love my cars and worries that she'll hit something - best to keep her pulling into the "big door" and not the single stall that's closer to the house - which of course is where the charger is.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the response, this would definitely be helpful. Have you noticed if it gets hotter than normal with the additional travel or reduces the charge rate?
Mine is set to charge at 40A and it works just fine, in fact the cable for the extension is a thicker cable than the ChargePoint Flex cable it is plugged into. I have a unique situation, I have two EVs, and two different garages, and one ChargePoint in each garage. My extension in the one garage is for this (posted on another thread):

Ford Mustang Mach-E Who Has 2 Ev's and 1 Charger? dino2

OP
OP
SV8T

SV8T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
I'd like to keep the cord off the ground to avoid constantly stepping over it as the garage gets pretty sloppy in the Minnesota winter. After reading some of the suggestions, maybe it's best to relocate the receptacle or use extension to the middle of the garage or the ceiling and rig up some hanging brackets.

I see a few comments about risk with an extension plug versus relocating the outlet. I know the safest would be to rewire a new location but what is the real risk if I just run a high quality J1772 extension to the top of the garage? Seems like plenty are doing this with no issue/concern?

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I see a few comments about risk with an extension plug versus relocating the outlet. I know the safest would be to rewire a new location but what is the real risk if I just run a high quality J1772 extension to the top of the garage? Seems like plenty are doing this with no issue/concern?
If you're gonna run extensions on either the outlet, or J-1772 side, then consider dialing back your charging to maybe 32A max. Most EVSEs have a setting for that, but it sure would be great if FordPass could do it.
Less current = less heat/stress on the charging path.
Monitor the temperature of the cables after charging for a few hours, anything that is extremely warm to the touch should be unplugged and re-think the situation.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
We have 2 and only use one. I have our mobile EVSE setup to run 120v separate from our 240v Open EVSE.

We never really use the 120v. when the second one needs a charge I just plug it in instead of the other. When winter hits, I'll use the 120v to plug in just to keep preconditioning on schedule setup.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
PHEV and MME both in the driveway. EVSE is mounted in the front corner of the garage. Cord easily reaches both cars. 🤷‍♂️🐩

OP
OP
SV8T

SV8T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
We have 2 and only use one. I have our mobile EVSE setup to run 120v separate from our 240v Open EVSE.

We never really use the 120v. when the second one needs a charge I just plug it in instead of the other. When winter hits, I'll use the 120v to plug in just to keep preconditioning on schedule setup.
I like your idea - and have probably been thinking about this the wrong way. I always keep the Jeep plugged in bc I like to use electric only around town but only have about 22mi electric range. Without the level 2, it took about 13 hours and I couldn't drive electric only 2x in the same day if depleted.

With the longer range of the Mach-E, I don't have the same range anxiety or need to constantly charge. Maybe I could just get by with the 120v plugging in overnight and move over to the other spot if we needed a quicker charge or topping to 100% for a road trip.
Sponsored