Why does it take so long to update software.

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag
Why each module requires individual soft upload? Why all of them are not hooked up by a single central bus so all the updates can be received centralized way and uploaded to all the modules simultaneously
Because car manufacturers and Tier1 suppliers are dinosaurs when it comes to modern tech. They are really good at bending metal and really bad at computers. Still.
Sponsored

Reactions: TRP

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
There are many ECU's that need to be flashed on the MME. Also interesting about fuses, with the recent bent fuse thread.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why does it take so long to update software. 1.PNG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why does it take so long to update software. 2.PNG

WNKent

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1 4X
Occupation
Airline
Country flag
what are modules? Why is it a thing?
Still waiting on my MME, which is identical to your car. We have a Tesla Model Y Performance and we get a message about an update, and there's no "next, next, next" to babysit. It's completely seamless. I would guess as time passes, it will improve.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Why each module requires individual soft upload? Why all of them are not hooked up by a single central bus so all the updates can be received centralized way and uploaded to all the modules simultaneously
They can. That's pretty much how the OTA updates work.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Still waiting on my MME, which is identical to your car. We have a Tesla Model Y Performance and we get a message about an update, and there's no "next, next, next" to babysit. It's completely seamless. I would guess as time passes, it will improve.
That's the difference between an OTA update to a connected update. The MME does the same thing the Tesla does when the OTA's are being employed.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Each module is a separate physical entity. This, just like a set of networked computers they need to be updated individually. It *would* be possible to start all updates at the same time and block transfer portions of each module’s data to make it seem like they are updating at the same time, but each data transfer is still a separate transaction. 😊🐩

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Because they need to make sure that load all the punch cards in the right order.

They could have used floppy disks, but that's relatively new design for the automotive industry...

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
The "next" to babysit is only when using FDRS, not OTA updates.

metalpro2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e 1st edition
Occupation
Software architect
Country flag
Ok. And then there is: the job 1 cars. (build on or before 07-2021) These cars are, due to an OTA failure early on, on the update module itself (ironically), lacking a lot of module updates compared to the cars later build which already have these. If these updates are missing, your dealer needs at least a couple of days (or a solid 20 hours or something) to get them done. And A LOT of attending the FDRS PC (which need to be a solid PC with the latest FDRS software and not bit torrent or other more interesting software installed...) So basically, these cars need a lot of TLC and as we all know, TLC does not pay any bills...

OP
OP
Rt1AWD

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Ok. And then there is: the job 1 cars. (build on or before 07-2021) These cars are, due to an OTA failure early on, on the update module itself (ironically), lacking a lot of module updates compared to the cars later build which already have these. If these updates are missing, your dealer needs at least a couple of days (or a solid 20 hours or something) to get them done. And A LOT of attending the FDRS PC (which need to be a solid PC with the latest FDRS software and not bit torrent or other more interesting software installed...) So basically, these cars need a lot of TLC and as we all know, TLC does not pay any bills...
The car was built on Jan 15 2022
One day It said that I BC will be turnned off. That day I tried to use it but it never came up.......
I called the Ford support and they said that my car was excluded from BC. They didn't give me a reason and suggested to call the dealership. The dealership told me that I need this update to get BC back on.....
The next day BC worked well even without any update, but I decided to do that update anyway.
Sponsored