jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
What about those who don't have either? Say, someone looking for a used tesla because they can't afford a new one? Assuming a y and 3 are both on use d market, and y is more popular, 3 prices will fall in order to move them.
The Y already has a base price over $10,000 more than a 3 and similar models is also a few thousand more on the Y compared to the 3. They will probably keep relative positions of Y being more than 3... As 3 has been out longer, it will probably keep used Y prices significantly higher for several years, but eventually be closer (more on use Y prices coming down close to 3 prices than 3 dropping significantly faster).
Sponsored

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
LOL :) "A few inches", "Same car". Yes, and the new Chevy blazer is the same car as the new Corvette, there's just a few inches difference. Admittadly an exaggeration, but still. Yes, I call 50% more cargo space, significant. Yes, I call a couple of inches more ground clearance significant. Did you not even look at the video in my post? As far as towing, it could go either way. Nobody--including you or me--knows for sure. You can make a guess, sure. But identify it as such.

The Y and the 3 serve two different markets. One is a sedan with an ultra performance sedan option. The other is a compact crossover with a very high performance option. One is low and sleek. One is high and much easier to get in to and out of. One attracts the buyer who is looking for a luxury sedan. The other attracts the buyer who has a family or sporting goods to haul around. There will of course be those who trade in their 3 on a Y. Duh. But, it's really two different markets and neither will cannibalize sales from the other. Yes, there is a passing resemblance and a shared drive train. There is a passing resemblance between the S, the X, the 3 and the Y--as well as very similar drive trains. Only a simpleton would conclude all of those are the "same car."

I guess the Mach-e and the Y are the "same car" too? They're much closer in dimensional specs than the 3 and the Y are. I guess by your logic they're the same.

As a side note, I really don't think that the E and the Y are going to compete too much in terms of sales. The compact crossover market is huge, and the two are by far the best EV choices available in that market. They'll both take sales from ICE crossovers, just as the 3 has totally dominated the luxury sedan market. I don't think that Ford and Tesla combined will have the production capacity to even come a little bit close to satisfying the demand. Rather I think that demand will increase as more buyers are exposed to the radical improvement an EV offers over an ICE vehicle. What we have seen is that once an individual gets some personal experience with an EV, they tend to almost universally desire an EV. Both Ford and Tesla are going to sell every EV they can make as demand continues to expand while destroying ICE demand and sales.

It isn't the 3 or the Y or the Mach-e that are going to see low used car values, it's the ICE vehicles that are going to see horrific residual value in just a few years. ICE used car values are already dropping, and in ten years most used ICE cars will be virtually worthless.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The Y already has a base price over $10,000 more than a 3 and similar models is also a few thousand more on the Y compared to the 3. They will probably keep relative positions of Y being more than 3... As 3 has been out longer, it will probably keep used Y prices significantly higher for several years, but eventually be closer (more on use Y prices coming down close to 3 prices than 3 dropping significantly faster).
Yes, today they are only selling the more expensive version of the Y as they did with the 3. Soon they will offer the cheaper Y that is closer in price to the base 3. It will play out over several year's time, but eventually used teslas will depreciate more in line with traditional cars.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh yeah, just the same. Both have an Ice engine and a transmission. pretty much the same car. Maybe you want to compare the 'Vette and the Camaro. Same motor, same gas, same controls. Same basic car I guess. You know, I'm really surprised that Auto makers ever make different cars on the same platform. I mean, they're all the same basic car other than some sheet metal. At least by your logic.

The 3 and the Y are significantly different cars that will serve different markets. That's why both will be made. Duh. And BTW, they both use the right stalk to shift, not the touchscreen. LOL.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wait a second, I just caught this. Battery, not batteries. You think the frame of the Y is the same as the frame of the 3, don't you! LMFAO. Here you are spouting off that they're the same car and you don't even know anything about the frame?!?! ROFL OK, just for you, different sheet metal, glass, wheels and frame means different car. LOL

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Wait a second, I just caught this. Battery, not batteries. You think the frame of the Y is the same as the frame of the 3, don't you! LMFAO. Here you are spouting off that they're the same car and you don't even know anything about the frame?!?! ROFL OK, just for you, different sheet metal, glass, wheels and frame means different car. LOL
I will not say they are the same car either, but I do disagree that there is no cross-shopping by buyers between Model 3 and Y. In fact, most analysts are speculating that how Tesla stock moves in the next few months will depend largely on what impact Model Y sales end up having on 3 sales.
I’ve heard several of my co-workers say that they’re interested in the 3 but are just holding off to see if they prefer the Y. I don’t think they are unique.
Nobody would argue that the X and the S are the same car, but many believe that launch of the X resulted in slowdown of S sales. I think there are many who know they want a Tesla, and are then willing to shop for an X over S (or a Y over 3) based on slight preference for one or the other. In fact, I would certainly argue that the difference between a Y and a 3 in the eye of most consumers is certainly much less than an X and S.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will not say they are the same car either, but I do disagree that there is no cross-shopping by buyers between Model 3 and Y. In fact, most analysts are speculating that how Tesla stock moves in the next few months will depend largely on what impact Model Y sales end up having on 3 sales.
I’ve heard several of my co-workers say that they’re interested in the 3 but are just holding off to see if they prefer the Y. I don’t think they are unique.
Nobody would argue that the X and the S are the same car, but many believe that launch of the X resulted in slowdown of S sales. I think there are many who know they want a Tesla, and are then willing to shop for an X over S (or a Y over 3) based on slight preference for one or the other. In fact, I would certainly argue that the difference between a Y and a 3 in the eye of most consumers is certainly much less than an X and S.
Well put and thought out. Certainly there will be some cross-shopping. Some people bought the 3 just because it's a Tesla and will be happier with a Y. (Or a Mach e.) My wife and I are a prime example. We bought a 3 for her but she may or may not trade it in on a Y. She will always drive a Tesla though, as she really, really likes them. I will probably take delivery on the Y I pre-ordered, but I may trade it in on the Mach e after I compare them both.

I think you'll find after you compare a 3 to a Y in person you're going to find them more unique than you think. We're going to have to wait a few more weeks to have that in person comparison though. Time will tell.

I think though that as more and more people become exposed to quality EVs, demand will continue to rise. I think the Mach-e for instance will generate more demand than Ford has production capability. That means that the Mach e will increase demand for Tesla, not cut in to that demand. I think the same holds true vice versa. I think the Y will generate more demand for the Mach e. More people will find out how superior EVs are to ICE vehicles, increasing demand for all quality EVs. Some will prefer one over the other. Someone may walk in to a Ford dealer and decide that EVs are way better than they thought. They may then go out and buy a Tesla, or maybe buy a Mach e. The same will hold true in reverse. It's going to be a long time before production capability can match demand for both Ford and Tesla. Anyways, that is nothing but my opinion. We shall all see in the coming months and years whether I'm right or just FOS. LOL

BryCola

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
"I am not going to call it a "Mustang" or "MME".... because its NOT."

I hate when people say this...because OF COURSE it's a Mustang. The reason is because Ford says it is...and they're the ONLY ones that get to decide what is and is not a certain car.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
"I am not going to call it a "Mustang" or "MME".... because its NOT."

I hate when people say this...because OF COURSE it's a Mustang. The reason is because Ford says it is...and they're the ONLY ones that get to decide what is and is not a certain car.
Motor1 had a good podcast about this supposed controversy and it basically came down to this question:

Is Mustang a brand name or a form factor?

However you answer that question will inform your feelings on the Mustang Mach-E.

https://www.motor1.com/features/383974/mustang-mach-e-controversy-podcast/

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Elon has stated, the Model Y will share its platform and 75% of its components with the 3. Visually it's 10% "bigger" than the 3.

For reference:
Jalopnik - March 2019 Debut

Insideevs - Model Y Size Article

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Elon has stated, the Model Y will share its platform and 75% of its components with the 3. Visually it's 10% "bigger" than the 3.

For reference:
Jalopnik - March 2019 Debut

Insideevs - Model Y Size Article
75% of the components by number, not by size or weight. The general platform is the same, but it's an entirely new frame assembly that will actually be formed as one piece. (As opposed to a dozen or two pieces with the 3 and most other cars.) All of the sheet metal is different. All of the glass is different. 50% more cargo space. Bigger wheels and 2" larger diameter tires. 20mm wider tires. Staggered wheel & tire size for the performance upgrade. More legroom due to 6" higher seating. Available 3rd row seating. (Tiny to be sure.) Different rear seats that will fold down individually. Those are just the differences that have been verified. There will be other differences as well. In other words, an entirely different car for an entirely different market. Ford agrees, which is why they compare the Mach-e to the Y and not the 3. And 10% percent visually is a BIG number. Don't think so? Compare two men, One 6 foot tall and one 6 foot 7 inches tall. See much difference there? :)

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
And 10% percent visually is a BIG number. Don't think so? Compare two men, One 6 foot tall and one 6 foot 7 inches tall. See much difference there? :)
Haha, so 10% of 6 feet is 7 inches? (7.2 to be exact based on my Google search).
Oh, imperial...

I have nothing but respect for anyone that can cope with that madness ?

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Haha, so 10% of 6 feet is 7 inches? (7.2 to be exact based on my Google search).
Oh, imperial...
Not as bad as it sounds. 6 feet is 72 inches. 10% = 7.2. (I rounded down.) But yeah, it would be nice if everyone was on metric. However, there are situations where imperial is better. Most of the world uses imperial for aviation. 1000 feet makes a great increment for altitude separation. 100 meters is too little. 1000 meters is too much. 1000 feet is just right! :) And 300 meters is too un-intuitive and causes dangerous situations all the time where it is used. (China.)
Sponsored