Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium ER (soon), 2019 Mustang GT, 2017 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Government (IT)
Country flag
"I am not going to call it a "Mustang" or "MME".... because its NOT."

I hate when people say this...because OF COURSE it's a Mustang. The reason is because Ford says it is...and they're the ONLY ones that get to decide what is and is not a certain car.
LMFAO!
Thank you Captain Obvious, you must be a treat at parties...... ;-)
Let me take a wild guess here.... you don't own (and have never owned) a V8 ICE powered Mustang, right? The car is more than "just" a name or label.... even Ford gets that.................
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
LMFAO!
Let me take a wild guess here.... you don't own (and have never owned) a V8 ICE powered Mustang, right? The car is more than "just" a name or label.... even Ford gets that.................
I don't know what to make of this.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
LMFAO!
Was the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder fox body a mustang? Other than the extra 2 doors, from a performance and handling perspective the Mach-E has far more in common with a v8 GT than that car did.

pozi240

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Government (IT)
Country flag
I don't know what to make of this.
?? BryCola didn't like my opinion about not calling it Mustang, (it's his opinion, he is entitled to that), and I rebutted (with my opinion, as a current and long time Mustang owner). It's the internet, it is ok to have different opinions and we don't have to agree.... geesh.

BryCola

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Was the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder fox body a mustang? Other than the extra 2 doors, from a performance and handling perspective the Mach-E has far more in common with a v8 GT than that car did.
Bringing common into the discussion will only confuse some people.

And I'M the one he's concerned about being a "treat at parties"? LOL People that say "It's not a Mustang" are embarrassing themselves.

pozi240

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Government (IT)
Country flag
Sorry BryCola, I just realized you drive a Volt... my earlier comment was redundant and unneeded. Carry on.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Interesting. This is a different perspective. Calls it a value.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/399086/mustang-mach-e-tesla-model-y-comparison/
I am a big fan of Tesla. I find their fanboys to be insufferable.
When I watched that video last week, I decided against sharing it on the forum because of just how biased it was. Just a few things off the top of my head that I had a problem with for Jonathan's video:
  • Did not compare dealer network vs. service center availability.
  • It doesn't mention Ford's $7500 tax credit advantage.
  • Ford offers more choices to consumers for configurability.
  • Tesla has a better warranty than Ford.
I don't think this comparison video is going to age well. Ford will probably do some tweaking to the production specs for the Mustang Mach-E's performance and range numbers to close the gap and we also don't know what if any perks Ford will offer buyers. We shall see.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
When I watched that video last week, I decided against sharing it on the forum because of just how biased it was. Just a few things off the top of my head that I had a problem with for Jonathan's video:
I don't think this comparison video is going to age well. Ford will probably do some tweaking to the production specs for the Mustang Mach-E's performance and range numbers to close the gap and we also don't know what if any perks Ford will offer buyers. We shall see.
I saw the video and decided not to post it here. It is an attempt at an objective comparison regarding what is known about two cars that are not available at this time. But misses on some aspects.

The biggest problem with the comparison is a complete lack of mentioning the tax incentives which changes the cost per range significantly.

Also, there are other things such as the driving experience of operating the cars which cannot be compared by looking at specifications and can only be done when driving the cars. This one might be where the E could win. I haven't driven a 3 but some people complain about road noise. It wouldn't surprise me if the Ford is quieter.

I am convinced that Tesla wins on charging speed and charger availability. They likely win on performance because they have tricks in the pipe which could be brought out at anytime. You ain't seen nothin yet. They are ahead on auto pilot so it is more technological.

As to configurations. I don't know about the Y but for the 3 it is possible to order a LR AWD with the performance motor in the front. This can't be done online, it must be done at the showroom. You get the 18" wheels which makes it have better range at the cost of the big brakes and rear spoiler, which I don't need.

A sleeper, just the way I like it.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
A man after my own heart. I wasn't implying you were wrong, I just wanted to know the thought process behind the opinions. It's great to see someone on the internet who actually has thought his opinions through! :) And no, I see nothing wrong with the basis for your opinions. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

It occurred to me today, that the Mach e might be far better than advertised. Having a 99 kwh battery is a big deal. It should allow range and performance well in excess of what is currently advertised. It really does make you wonder just what the E will actually be capable of.

It kind of amazes me there hasn't been more talk of that battery as it's something that neither Porsche nor Tesla has managed given the space available in the e. The Taycan and the S are both larger with at least 10% more battery space available. Yet the E has a battery bigger than the Taycan and as big as the S. It's 25% - 30% bigger than the Y battery. That's a big achievement for Ford and should open up a lot of options. A 100 kwh battery should be able to provide enough current to run 0-60 sub 3 seconds...
You seem somewhat biased toward the Tesla and that's fine. I have a Model S which has been the best car I've ever owned, bar none, but I'm approaching the Mustang with the hope for improvement in many areas over what I have with the S. Here are my thoughts and they're applicable (IMO), in varying degrees, to the Y/3/S/X:
* Yes, my S will more than likely have better acceleration than the RD, Extended battery, Premium model I've ordered, but I honestly don't care. Yeah, it was fun when I first got the S to show off the acceleration, but frankly, on a day to day basis, I simply don't floor it anymore. A mid 6 second is even fine for me, it really is.

* I will be getting XM radio! Hooray! A huge omission in my S. And now Tesla is offering me a $2,500 'upgrade' to MCU2 from my AP2.5 MCU1 car. Whoopdeedoo...AND I get to lose my AM/FM radio in the process. You've got to be kidding me Tesla. As I joked on the TMC site, maybe they'll offer a $5,000 'upgrade' where they'll remove your glovebox too.

* I will get true BSM on the Mustang. Yes, Tesla gave us a very awkward version of BSM, but it absolutely pales by comparison to that which far cheaper cars provide on the side view mirrors.

* Granted this is not overly important, but I suspect Ford's version of automatic parking will work far better than the lame auto park that I've got on my S. It almost never works.

* Having an info cluster in front of the driver is far better than the single screen in the Y & 3. The layout in both those cars is beyond minimalist IMO. It would be a huge adjustment for me if I bought either of those cars. I honestly believe you sacrifice a degree of safety having all the info on that single center screen, to say nothing of the multiple button presses for simple tasks.

* Wireless phone charging, although almost always slow, is a nicety I'd like to have. No biggie, but nice.

* Aesthetically, I think the S has a nicer looking exterior and I think it's still one of the coolest looking cars on the road. However the interior looks somewhat dated compared to the Mustang, which IMO, looks much nicer. Don't get me started on rattles, my biggest bugaboo with my S. It drives me nuts!

* Although we'll have to see what the finalized Mustang has, the infotainment end looks better to me than what I have in the S. Just the inclusion of XM brings it beyond what I currently have. Bluetoothing is what I currently do, but it's a PIA. Changing stations is also a PIA and requires you to take your eyes off the road.

* My range has dropped about 3% since I bought the car. Charging to 90% brings me to about 214 miles. I'll unquestionably do better with the Mustang...probably much better. THAT is a biggie. Tesla's throttling of SC speeds hasn't helped in the overall enjoyment of the car and the complaints about this from owners are rampant.

I know I may seem overly negative about the S, but I still love the car despite the shortcomings. But the annoyances do have me looking & hoping for better. I think the Mustang may well be the answer. Fingers crossed. :)

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow, a very biased comparison. There were many things he could have said about the Mach E but chose to remain silent. I don't have much use for videos like this. Gee, I wonder what car he drives? ;)

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
You seem somewhat biased toward the Tesla and that's fine.
I think Tesla makes great cars, and I think they're responsible for the current status of EVs and by extension the Mach-e. I'm hoping the Mach-e is even better than the Y. If it is, I'll buy one. TBH, I'm a bit pissed at Tesla right now. Yes, I think the Y will be a great car. But I'm taking delivery of one in less than two weeks--I think--and I still don't know everything I need to know about the car. I understand they want to build up the hype; that's fine. But there comes a time to put out information so people know what they're buying and how to option it. That time came and went a while ago. I mean something as simple as ground clearance and how the performance upgrade will affect it should be common knowledge by now. I mean Christ, deliveries start a week from Sunday. If I guessed wrong on which variant I need I'll have to decline delivery and wait some unknown time before I have a chance to get another.

Long story short: Yep, I think the Y will be great. I think it's ignorant to try and claim a Tesla isn't a great car. I also think it's ignorant to think they're perfect. BTW, I think the Mach-e will be great. It also won't be perfect. It's ignorant to think it will be. But it and the Y are the Gold standard right now in EV crossovers. They're both going to the Superbowl of EVs. No, I don't think Tesla walks on water. My loyalty will be given to whichever rig I find best for my needs.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They're both going to the Superbowl of EVs. No, I don't think Tesla walks on water. My loyalty will be given to whichever rig I find best for my needs.
I agree and I think your approach is prudent. I too would turn down delivery if the car didnā€™t meet my expectations. I plan on doing the same thing with the Mach-E.

Not having the ability to take a test drive, let alone see the car prior to delivery, is risky. Iā€™m not even sure what the ā€˜light grayā€™ interior that I ordered on the Mustang looks like. The color rendition of the pictures are all over the place with most looking almost as white as the Tesla white interior. At least with the two exterior colors I am considering, star white & iconic silver, I was able to see both on other Ford vehicles. Not so with the gray interior, it doesnā€™t exist on any current Ford.

Tesla actually brought a Model S to my house when I was considering the purchase and let me drive it for a day & a half! I also wanted to see the difference between the textile & faux leather seating., so they brought two vehicles with the two different interiors. One was to be dropped off for my test drive and the 2 sales guys would go back in the other. Now thatā€™s crazy good service. I sincerely doubt that would happen today.

Iā€™ve stayed away from the Y because of three reasons, one of which I could probably adjust to. Iā€™m afraid of a too firm ride (thatā€™s just my tastes) and Iā€™m extremely concerned about rattles, which for me tends to exacerbate the perception of a hard ride. My wifeā€™s new ES300h has both a smoother ride than even my S with its air suspension and is totally devoid of rattles. The difference is a bit depressing. I see far too many Model 3, S & X owners complaining about rattles. Many, like me, have given up trying to get them fixed. Tesla simply has an abysmal record in the rattle department across all models. I hope the Y will be better in that area, but I think the firm ride will be similar to that of the 3.

My third issue is the Yā€™s interior, but if the ride was smoother than the 3 and the interior rattle-free, I could probably adjust to the single screen & spartan interior. In most other categories Iā€™m sure the Y will be a great car. To be fair, the Mach-E has more unknowns than even the Y, so thatā€™s a roll of the dice. We liked our Fusion PHEV and that was both rattle-free and had a nice ride. Iā€™m hoping that quality carries through.

If the Mach-E doesnā€™t measure up, Iā€™ll take a closer look at the Y. By that time there will be quite a lot of meaningful owner experience that I can judge by.

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ken, what Model S do you have?

Your Tesla purchase experience sounds wonderful and must have been pre-Model 3. As much as Tesla fans rave about their cars, the purchase and delivery process nowadays ranges at best from quick & impersonal down to a pure clusterfcuk.

Dealer experiences can vary too but as long as you're aware of the F& I shenanigans it should be fairly straightforward to have a transparent price and pleasant purchase.
Sponsored

Last edited: