TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I'm kinda bothered that the MME can't handle WPA2.
It does for me. I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme for WiFi set to WPA2-Personal. It may be something specific to the brand/model router.
Sponsored

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
It does for me. I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme for WiFi set to WPA2-Personal. It may be something specific to the brand/model router.
Mine still won't connect.

I have a hodgepodge network:

Verizon FiOS router
TP-Link Archer 2300,
Apple Airport Extreme.

All are running 2.4/5GHz WPA2-personal with WPA2-PSK and AES. Everything connects except my Mach-e.

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
I can't get it to connect either via my UniFi access point network or the stand alone Verizon FIOS router on LAN2 of a USG. Like even if I turn off authentication on both, it won't work. And DNS is kind'a stock on both though I assume the FIOS os getting dhcp settings from the USG so that might be the problem. (I know Apple products hate Google DNS for some reason, but work with Cloudflare which I am using for most things... I actually run recursive dns server on my laptops but I didn't try that one yet)

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
Excuse my ignorance but what value is added by connecting to home wifi?

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Excuse my ignorance but what value is added by connecting to home wifi?
I've been wondering the same. In the Mach E screen for connecting to WiFi, if you hit the "i" to bring up help on the topic, it seems to hint that at least some OTAs only happen on WiFi. I'm not sure if that is simply a CYA, or a real possibility.

I have never connected to WiFi with my Mach E, and it recently received the same first OTA that others have received. So, at least for that first OTA, I was able to receive over the built-in cellular modem.

DeCo

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mustang GT premium, 2013 F150, 2017 Volvo XC90
Occupation
auto tech
Country flag
So I called Ford in vehicle technology group, was directed to call them after a attempting to chat with them on the Ford Pass app. They were unable to assist, and told me to call the marketing department, who is only open 9-6 M-F. I of course work full time, leaving at 7am and don't get home till after 6 most days. It is so perplexing that the Mach E won't connect to my WiFi, my 2016 Mustang GT sitting next to it is connected as well as my Mother in law's 2018 Volvo. If anyone has any luck with this issue I would greatly appreciate hearing how you fixed it.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Took delivery 3/31/21 of our Rapid Red Premium. We were working to configure everything and when it came to wi-fi it wouldn't connect to our network. Oddly the 2019 Fusion and 2020 Lincoln works fine on the same network. Mach-e kept failing trying to join the network. Verified US-English input was selected. On a hunch I reviewed our wi-fi config and found that it was set to WPA2-Personal only (who doesn't want better security). One option was to allow both WPA and WPA2-Personal. Changed it and voila, Mach-E connected first try.

For reference Its a Netgear Nighthawk A8 router and this was the 2.4GHz band. We use it as a WAP (no dhcp) and our provider router is the DHCP server.

Other than that, enjoying the car!!

Note - I did use the touch screen to report a wi-fi issue but they don't allow you to type the entire problem.

BK2EV
I haven’t been able to connect to my WiFi network since bringing home the MME last week. I have a Netgear Orbi mesh network, with the modem and router in the garage, close to the MME. So, the signal strength is excellent. I’ve never had a problem connecting any device to the network, until now. I just changed the config to both WPA and WPA2. It still won’t connect, so I changed it back to WPA2. I’m giving up, unless someone has another suggestion. I had the car to service yesterday, for an airbag problem, and asked the technician about the WiFi issue. They had no idea what to do. ?

OP
OP

BK2EV

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MachE AWD Premium ER, 2015 Challenger Hellcat
Country flag
So short story is only temporary success allowing WPA. Mach-E will no longer connect again.

OP
OP

BK2EV

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MachE AWD Premium ER, 2015 Challenger Hellcat
Country flag
Conducting some tests this weekend.

Basic setup is Fios router (wifi disabled) cabled to a Netgear RAX70 in Access Point mode.

Oddly everything from thermostats to cellphones to 19 fusion & 20 Navigator work fine on the access point. But the Mach-E just doesn't like it.

Recently sitting in the Mach-E, connecting to my s20 tethered is fine. Same SSID and password as AP, different IP subnet.

Today, using a 2nd Netgear (r8300) unit in "router" mode vs "Access Point" mode works fine, WPA2 both 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

Testing continues......

DarkCinema

First Name
Oswin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH-E RWD Ordered
Country flag
HI Mach-E owners.
I am having the same issue here. Somehow, I got it working when fiddling with the settings on my Unifi USG.

I also noticed that that SYNC4 is connecting without any issues to my iPhone hotspot.
(PS.. Since I am using the same SSID and password on my iPhone's hotspot as my Unifi network I was able to add the WIFI connection to SYNC4)
I noticed on the Unifi Logs that “SYNC” was continuous disconnecting but without enabling debugging and involving Ubiquiti I cannot tell why it keeps disconnecting. But before I go this route I tried changing some settings.

I enabled WPA2/WPA3 instead of WPA2 only and enabled BSS Transition and SYNC got connected.
I will test this to see if it is consistent, if not I need to do some debugging, but it is an issue with the SYNC4 WIFI client for sure.

IMG_1843.PNG

IMG_1845.PNG

IMG_1846.PNG

IMG_1844.PNG

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
HI Mach-E owners.
I am having the same issue here. Somehow, I got it working when fiddling with the settings on my Unifi USG.

I also noticed that that SYNC4 is connecting without any issues to my iPhone hotspot.
(PS.. Since I am using the same SSID and password on my iPhone's hotspot as my Unifi network I was able to add the WIFI connection to SYNC4)
I noticed on the Unifi Logs that “SYNC” was continuous disconnecting but without enabling debugging and involving Ubiquiti I cannot tell why it keeps disconnecting. But before I go this route I tried changing some settings.

I enabled WPA2/WPA3 instead of WPA2 only and enabled BSS Transition and SYNC got connected.
I will test this to see if it is consistent, if not I need to do some debugging, but it is an issue with the SYNC4 WIFI client for sure.
Be sure to read this alternative thread of Unifi users who report that utilizing the Domain Name advertisement in DHCP replies is, in fact, the culprit. I encourage you to continue to experiment changing only a single variable at a time to assure that enabling WPA3 didn't do some other unexpected thing (such as clear the Domain Name) that was the real root cause. Please let us know as you continue to debug! (P.S. I strongly suggest running a tcpdump on your Unifi access points to capture all packets to/from SYNC on your network to confirm when you find the fix)

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...en-connecting-to-wifi-solved.3044/post-180876

Reactions: n0n

Creaky

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Occupation
Anything with a plug on it...
Country flag
[edit] ⬆ TheSteelRider beat me to it ? [/edit]

There has been a very long thread about the MME not connecting to particular wifi networks, but I can't find it right now.

Bottom line was; There are some DHCP servers with which the MME doesn't want to deal when the domain name DHCP parameter is set. Leave that blank and your MME connects just fine.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wi-fi connection issue - Solved allowing WPA 1629987352670

So before doing anything rash, check this fix first!

DarkCinema

First Name
Oswin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH-E RWD Ordered
Country flag
Be sure to read this alternative thread of Unifi users who report that utilizing the Domain Name advertisement in DHCP replies is, in fact, the culprit. I encourage you to continue to experiment changing only a single variable at a time to assure that enabling WPA3 didn't do some other unexpected thing (such as clear the Domain Name) that was the real root cause. Please let us know as you continue to debug! (P.S. I strongly suggest running a tcpdump on your Unifi access points to capture all packets to/from SYNC on your network to confirm when you find the fix)

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...en-connecting-to-wifi-solved.3044/post-180876
Thanks for pointing this out.

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER / AWD Built 12/21
Country flag
I know I am resurrecting an older thread here but I am curious what kind of traffic do you Unifi guys see when your MME is connected? My Select connect but I never saw any traffic. Now that I have my Premium I am seeing minimal traffic, it seems to connect when I get home at night for a few seconds / minute and that is about it. I've never received any OTA updates.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I know I am resurrecting an older thread here but I am curious what kind of traffic do you Unifi guys see when your MME is connected? My Select connect but I never saw any traffic. Now that I have my Premium I am seeing minimal traffic, it seems to connect when I get home at night for a few seconds / minute and that is about it. I've never received any OTA updates.
There should be TWO different MAC addresses connecting, one from Sync, and the other from a separate modem connection (which might be the gateway module). Somewhere else on this forum a long time ago (likely around the same time this thread was created), a user posted what the difference was, you might be able to search and find it.

Here is what the traffic inspector with Unifi Controller v.6.5.55 says about the two connections

Sync:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wi-fi connection issue - Solved allowing WPA 1645279047084

Other modem:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wi-fi connection issue - Solved allowing WPA 1645279105416