Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As far as I know, none of the vehicles on the market allow you to install your own SIM. It's either the built-in one tied to AT&T or nothing.
Well, my Audi is four years old but I have a separate SIM card.
Sponsored

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Well, my Audi is four years old but I have a separate SIM card.
Good point, I stand corrected. In practice though it may be difficult to use another carrier's SIM, even when the SIM slot is accessible; mobile hotspot should work without much trouble, but connectivity to the automaker (for example Audi Connect) is another story.

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
It would be the bee's knees if eSIM was supported.

Though that would require the FordPass app to scan the QR code and forward the information to the car itself.

Or aim the eSIM QR code at one of the external cameras of the carā€¦ ;)

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
For those who took ownership, were any of you offered a subscription? Are you paying for this service?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
For those who took ownership, were any of you offered a subscription? Are you paying for this service?
A free 3-month subscription is supposed to be "built in" to the car.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
A free 3-month subscription is supposed to be "built in" to the car.
Can confirm the free 3-month/3GB subscription offer:

Ford Mustang Mach-E WiFi hotspot - carrier, payment? IMG_0692-1

No plans to use it myself though, so I haven't activated it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Can confirm the free 3-month/3GB subscription offer:

Ford Mustang Mach-E WiFi hotspot - carrier, payment? IMG_0692-1

No plans to use it myself though, so I haven't activated it.
My plan is to activate it for our Florida trip.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Does anyone know if any of the Mach-Eā€™s connected features work if you are not subscribing through the modem and are not parked/tied to home wifi?

From Sync 4, it seems like there may be the ability to add apps to Sync 4 (not mirroring through your phone) - if so, maybe streaming a music app natively through Sync 4 while driving might make it more enticing. Otherwise I tend to agree that $20 a month is pretty steep.

I have not been able to figure out how to add apps in Sync 4 if this is indeed possible.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does anyone know if any of the Mach-Eā€™s connected features work if you are not subscribing through the modem and are not parked/tied to home wifi?

From Sync 4, it seems like there may be the ability to add apps to Sync 4 (not mirroring through your phone) - if so, maybe streaming a music app natively through Sync 4 while driving might make it more enticing. Otherwise I tend to agree that $20 a month is pretty steep.

I have not been able to figure out how to add apps in Sync 4 if this is indeed possible.
I wonder if if you also need the plan for connected services to work. @ARK you said you had issues with it.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I wonder if if you also need the plan for connected services to work. @ARK you said you had issues with it.
I actually have not had issues with this, my Mach-E has been perfect or very good in every way except for the driver display buzzing. I activated the trial for the cell service soon after getting it. I suppose my question is more along the lines of what else are we able to do with it aside from a local hotspot for other devices and traffic info on the navigation.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I actually have not had issues with this, my Mach-E has been perfect or very good in every way except for the driver display buzzing. I activated the trial for the cell service soon after getting it. I suppose my question is more along the lines of what else are we able to do with it aside from a local hotspot for other devices and traffic info on the navigation.
Sorry it was the other 3 letter member @DBC who had the coonect services issue

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you activate your subscription? Here itll probably cost me 30$/month

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Don't have my car yet, but I'm pretty sure "SYNC AppLink" programs run in coordination with the individual apps on your phone. They don't run independently in the car's computers. Your phone is required and the phone's Internet connection is used (be that via the phone's mobile carrier or through the car's hotspot if you choose to enable that).

Here's more info:

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-...-phone-to-ford-sync-4-for-my-mobile-apps.html

Reactions: ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Did you activate your subscription? Here itll probably cost me 30$/month
Yes, we get a three month trial in the states. Said ā€˜regularā€™ price is $25 but was offering it at $20 a month through AT&T.

By way of comparison, on Verizon, adding a brand new cell line costs $40 a month, to share in whatever data plan you are subscribing. Verizon is I believe slightly more expensive than the other American carriers.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I suppose my question is more along the lines of what else are we able to do with it aside from a local hotspot for other devices and traffic info on the navigation.
Itā€˜s just a local hotspot for other devices. That it. Nothing else. It doesnā€™t provide any additional connectivity to the car itself that it doesnā€™t already have (including traffic and navigation).
Sponsored