kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
So far I have had no problems with the car. This is the first and it's weird. So the first time I ran out of windshield washer fluid I had a warning telling me the level was low as normal. Now it's twice that I run out of fluid with no warning. Luckily I have a spare in the frunk at all times but wonder why this is happening?

Either software bug or something with level sending unit I guess. Anyways I have an appointment with the dealer for software updates, I'll mention it. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Ford removed low washer fluid sensors from many models years ago, and only recently started adding them back. Several have posted that it comes on, they refill, and light stays on. Yours isn't coming on.

That's why it wasn't included for so many years.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford removed low washer fluid sensors from many models years ago, and only recently started adding them back. Several have posted that it comes on, they refill, and light stays on. Yours isn't coming on.

That's why it wasn't included for so many years.
Not sure if you're serious or not but even so it did work the first time.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure if you're serious or not but even so it did work the first time.
Totally serious. They had a lot of these sensors failed, so they removed them. Dozens complained over the years on the F-150 forum, because they found it so hard to open their hood monthly and fill their fluid to the top at the same time they checked their oil and other levels (hint - they didn't do regular fluid checks). Then they'd run out and express surprise. It was added back in the last 2 years or so.

It was hilarious. Post after post, "I had no idea that pushing the button and washing my windshield would empty my the fluid reservoir and require me to fill it back up" and "hadn't connected me pushing the button and removing fluid from the tank, thought it was an endless supply", and "why doesn't the tank hold an entire gallon"?

If you search that forum on "washer fluid level", you get 1,870 results, and the entire first page is complaining about the lack of an indicator.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Totally serious. They had a lot of these sensors failed, so they removed them. Dozens complained over the years on the F-150 forum, because they found it so hard to open their hood monthly and fill their fluid to the top at the same time they checked their oil and other levels (hint - they didn't do regular fluid checks). Then they'd run out and express surprise. It was added back in the last 2 years or so.

It was hilarious. Post after post, "I had no idea that pushing the button and washing my windshield would empty my the fluid reservoir and require me to fill it back up" and "hadn't connected me pushing the button and removing fluid from the tank, thought it was an endless supply", and "why doesn't the tank hold an entire gallon"?

If you search that forum on "washer fluid level", you get 1,870 results, and the entire first page is complaining about the lack of an indicator.
Lol I have had half a dozen Nissans and I never had this problem. This is so dumb. I can tell how much I use but the wife is a different story. Even my 18 year old car still has a working sensor. Maybe I should swap them

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lol I have had half a dozen Nissans and I never had this problem. This is so dumb. I can tell how much I use but the wife is a different story. Even my 18 year old car still has a working sensor. Maybe I should swap them
I hear you, just telling you what happened historically. You would not believe the number of people that explained how difficult it was to open their hood monthly and fill the tank so they never ran out. Same complain they're low on oil because they were burning it (a problem) and didn't know because they hadn't pulled the dipstick in 6 months.

Ford also had a related issue with the trucks in that the washer fluid lines had a connecter that froze constantly, regardless of fluid type used. People pulled the connector, drilled out the little hole, and no more problem.

I think the F-150 tank holds a gallon of washer fluid. Takes a lot of salty road driving to use that up in a month, and if you're driving a huge amount you're also likely smart enough to know you're using up the fluid and carry a spare gallon in the trunk.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
I guess I'm a bad owner. I never pop the hood of my ICE car. Goes in once a year for oil change and they top up the washer fluid. Have never run out of washer fluid in between services, so I don't even know if my car has a sensor or not.

Zassi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
Noticed this same problem with the sensor like the OP, however I have to admit that I’m totally blown away with the story of Ford not managing to create a proper washerfluid sensor. I’ve owned over 50 cars in the past 20 years(some of them older fords xD) and all of them have had a working washerfluid sensor. Most of the time they’ve been too eager to start flashing(usually atleast 1 liter or 1/4 of a gallon left in the tank), but so far no other than this brand new mach-e has managed to empty itself without any prior warning.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ill keep you guys posted I have an appointment on the 10th of Feb for software updates anyways

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ya so got stuck driving in 3.5 hours of freezing rain. Ran out of windshield washer fluid with no warning so updates didnt help. Looks like a trip to the dealer
Sponsored