Newboj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Given how negative this forum can be at times, I wanted to share something positive. I live in Salt Lake City and have had my rear wheel drive MME extended range for about 4 months now. Yesterday, I had my first experience driving it on snow packed and icy roads. It handled it perfectly. While other cars were spinning out and struggling up the hills, my Mach E stayed grounded and made it up to my home without issue. Some may think I'm crazy for not getting the AWD given the fact that I live in a location where it does snow in the winter, but there are only a handful of days a year where it would be helpful. The rest of the time, the plows are clearing roads and AWD isn't necessary. I also had experience driving a 2WD Nissan Leaf which also did well in the winter. The battery weight and distribution, as well as some good tires makes all the difference in the world. Overall, I'm still a very happy custome. The car turns heads, it's fun to drive, and everything is working well.
Sponsored

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
I drive my '17 Mustang Coupe year round in Wisconsin. With the winter tires it handles the slippery stuff better than our AWD Edge. Though if we get a crazy storm where the snow is drifting and the plows can't keep up, ground clearance can be an issue.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I drive my '17 Mustang Coupe year round in Wisconsin. With the winter tires it handles the slippery stuff better than our AWD Edge. Though if we get a crazy storm where the snow is drifting and the plows can't keep up, ground clearance can be an issue.
I couldn’t even drive my 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX in the…….RAIN! Lol

Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Your thread title had me guessing you might be complaining, followed by people calling you a dumb a**…. How delightful that there was none of that. ?

I have AWD in Minnesota and today was the first time I really thought I should get winter tires. The snow was so greasy and I actually had to use all of my winter driving skills, if you can believe it! I was tempted to turn on BlueCruise, just to see if the system said “you’ve gotta be kidding me”…

But it’s great to know that RWD is competent in snow, at least the pretty Utah stuff.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
There have been a few threads on here with people asking about a RWD Mach-E in the snow (I've probably commented on most of them LOL).

Having my CA Rt1 for over a year now in Michigan...no issues at all in the snow (stock tires).

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
I couldn’t even drive my 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX in the…….RAIN! Lol
Well I think part of what OP was saying helped him, helps me.
1990 Mustang LX: 2827 lbs
2017 Mustang Ecoboost: 3532 lbs
That's a 25% increase in weight. Add in 3 decades of improvements in tires, plus traction control, stability control and a snow mode and I have no illusions that my skills are what make this car a great winter car.
Sponsored