Worth it? Rate this deal.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I did not realize the pricing structure Ford has set up on the MME. It sure explains why the sales people are not interested in learning about the car and wanting to spend a ton of time getting it set up at delivery. It also explains why so many dealers are asking ADM. From the dealer‘s point of view what sense does it make to invest a lot of money for the tools, equipment and training needed to sell and service the MME to turn around and sell them for little profit even in a market like today where demand far exceeds supply.

I think this is partly a reason why dealerships are changing hands currently. As for what sense does it make to invest this money, learn the new tech, etc...the reason is because the writing is on the wall that many ICEs will eventually go away and dealers who don't get with the program will have nothing to sell and shut down. GM has already bought back/shut down like 40% of Cadillac dealers not willing to invest in EVs from 3 years ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...ealers-who-cant-compete-with-tesla/ar-AAQsN1l

Multiple car manufacturers have either stopped all future development of ICE or have plans to completely stop selling them. GM, Audi, probably some others as well.

In Norway (highest EV sales in the world), I think EVs and PHEV were sold at a 90+% clip vs. ICE cars (helps that they tax ICEs up the wazoo).

On another thread, dealers are actually making RECORD profits right now so they're doing very well. As for the MME, I think the dealership probably makes good/ok $$ on the MME, but the salesperson, maybe not so much and hence, the ADM if they want to eat, but dealers still probably do fine selling at MSRP.

Even before this, I think we can all agree car salespeople were pretty clueless about EVs and even ICE cars they sell, etc...I don't think this is a new phenomenon and why car salespeople are the least (or 2nd worst) trustworthy profession in existence.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
If so, what does that mean about the long term durability of ADM? I think a lot of folks, myself included, see that as a temporary effect of the pandemic-related supply chain shortages, but maybe not.

Frustrating anecdote: I called around to a few dealerships on the off chance that one may have just received or would soon receive a car that could be sold. Most said no, all cars coming in were customer-ordered. One said they had a few dealer-ordered cars coming in toward the end of March, including one that matched my specs. She told me the price of the car, and when I said "Okay, so the sale price will be $xxxxx" she said "Well, we will be adding a $10k markup to that." Apparently I could order a car and it would have no markup, I would just need to wait 8-12 months, but if I wanted to get a car that I could come to the dealer and drive home in that day, I would cost another $10k.

If these aren't textbook definitions of price gouging, I don't know what is.
You've been on the forum for over 6 months and you're surprised that a dealership is adding ADM to a car that wasn't ordered by you?

OP
OP
Skepteach

Skepteach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
You've been on the forum for over 6 months and you're surprised that a dealership is adding ADM to a car that wasn't ordered by you?
Ha! Well to be fair, I only recently returned to this forum. When I bought my first MME last summer, it was a car that another person ordered but didn’t take delivery of, and my dealer did not charge any kind of markup. So yeah, it was a little surprising that a dealer would put a whopping $10k on one car they would sell (they ordered) versus another car they would sell (customer ordered). They just know some people will feel desperate enough to make (IMHO) a foolish decision. Guess a lot of things can change in the car market in 6 months. Hell, in less than two months and less than 2k mi, I went from an offer of $50k on my current car from Vroom to an offer of $44k.

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
Aren't many of those add ons cancelable? I know warranties and the like are usually fully refundable. read the contracts and see. If they are refundable go ahead and buy the car and cancel the "warranties".

OP
OP
Skepteach

Skepteach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Aren't many of those add ons cancelable? I know warranties and the like are usually fully refundable. read the contracts and see. If they are refundable go ahead and buy the car and cancel the "warranties".
Extended service contracts are generally cancellable, but "dealer commitment" add ons that include vague, intangible things are essentially trumped up doc fees and, to my knowledge, they can only be negotiated off of the sales price ahead of time but not refundable once purchased.

JimG

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Jeanne,
Earlier in a post you mentioned you had access to Smart Vincent. I am looking for the interest rate from January 2022 and if there were incentives for the state of Illinois. My MME premium is being shipped, and would like to know these answers.
Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored