Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I'm working on an extensive write up of my poor experience with towing and Ford Roadside.

In the meanwhile, I'm posting here some of the tips I learned from my "experience" today getting my Mach-E towed from my garage onto a flatbed and to my dealer.

And of course, the full tow on video! (I'm so happy I got my BlackVue DR950plus, special batteries for the cam, and a hotspot -- I downloaded all of this video while my car was sitting at the dealer today thru the clouds....)

• 12V: Having a functioning Tow Mode requires you to have enough charge in the LVB. If you have a battery charger or power supply, I would put your car on it ASAP so you have enough of a full LVB tomorrow to have max time for your tow.
  • Figure out Tow Mode beforehand: Before your truck shows up, figure out how to get the car into tow mode. It's buried in the menus, and the user interface is really poor. It's wordy, and the instructions are in the IPA (instrument cluster). These instructions cycle very quickly with all the other critical messages you will have in your cluster, and they're easy to miss.
  • Leave your front windows open. This will make it easy to hear your tow truck guy if you are in the car, and also will allow you to open the car if it self-locks or some other problem happens.
  • Turn off "Walk-away Lock" if that is enabled. You do not want that on at any point when your car is getting on the truck, and/or when it gets to the dealer. That also is a buried menu item that is challenging to find when you are under stress.
  • Print out the tow guide from this forum, as well as the Tow Manual from Ford. Know this yourself, because as I found out today, you never know what will show up. My lovely tow truck partner knew no English, didn't give a #^#$% about the manual (because he didn't read in English), and he had no idea of what he was doing. Tow Guide documents here.
  • Get your FOB ready -- towing and dealers are incompatible with the world of PAAK. I am thinking I have to hide a key in my car in a metal bag somewhere accessible, because if I'm on a trip and something happens, really you are left giving the tow truck or the dealer your phone.

and

• In thinking back, I will never get in my car to do a tow like this. It's up to the driver to do the tow and I put myself in danger and let the tow driver do something stupid. I'm sure the tow company's insurance and Ford's policies don't allow for customers to be doing what that guy had me do.
Well that was stressful. A quick video showing how to put the car in Tow Mode, may be a good compliment to this. I'm printing out the tow instructions now; just hoping I never need them!!!
Sponsored

thefallenbeloved

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus ST, Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I thought it was $28,000. You won't find someone who has experience unfortunately. Without going into details I had some escalations placed on my tow by kind people at Ford, and I still got this moron. It also took almost two hours before he showed up, without any text messages from Ford or him.
Another victim of a bad tow. Hooked right onto the battery rail and ripped a nice 6in tear.

Currently Ford is quoting me 38,000 for mine, plus the damage to the front bumper lip for a grand total of 46800. Agero finally approved and send me to the tow company insurance. We'll see how that goes.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Another victim of a bad tow. Hooked right onto the battery rail and ripped a nice 6in tear.

Currently Ford is quoting me 38,000 for mine, plus the damage to the front bumper lip for a grand total of 46800. Agero finally approved and send me to the tow company insurance. We'll see how that goes.
OMFG 😲

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag

LTC_HUGH

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You should cover your battery rails and get tow stickers. They really worked.

And learn how to do tow mode.

I would have been so screwed if I didn't know so much from this forum and preparing.
What are tow stickers and why cover the battery rails. Sorry for the question if its been answered.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Lunytaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Social worker
Country flag
Yes I should have. However, the amount of time for me to assess competence before my car was in the street was very short. I assumed the guy had an idea when he started pushing of what he wanted to do and that it wasn't to try and roll the car into the busy street and hope for the best.

But miraculously no damage! My tow stickers really were key.
What do you mean “tow stickers”? did I miss something in the video?

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
It was a solid plan just no one communicated. Tow trucks don’t like to use peoples driveways because they don’t want to damage it with the lift or the weight. Plus there’s no official winch point from the rear.
Should have just asked where do you want the car then roll it back with enough speed to get it where you need it. If you were worried about traffic just have him position the tow truck to block the one lane.

OP
OP
scoopman

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It was a solid plan just no one communicated. Tow trucks don’t like to use peoples driveways because they don’t want to damage it with the lift or the weight. Plus there’s no official winch point from the rear.
Should have just asked where do you want the car then roll it back with enough speed to get it where you need it. If you were worried about traffic just have him position the tow truck to block the one lane.
Yeah, next time I don't use Ford's service to dispatch a non-English speaking tow truck driver.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium grey
Country flag
I'm working on an extensive write up of my poor experience with towing and Ford Roadside.

In the meanwhile, I'm posting here some of the tips I learned from my "experience" today getting my Mach-E towed from my garage onto a flatbed and to my dealer.

And of course, the full tow on video! (I'm so happy I got my BlackVue DR950plus, special batteries for the cam, and a hotspot -- I downloaded all of this video while my car was sitting at the dealer today thru the clouds....)

• 12V: Having a functioning Tow Mode requires you to have enough charge in the LVB. If you have a battery charger or power supply, I would put your car on it ASAP so you have enough of a full LVB tomorrow to have max time for your tow.
  • Figure out Tow Mode beforehand: Before your truck shows up, figure out how to get the car into tow mode. It's buried in the menus, and the user interface is really poor. It's wordy, and the instructions are in the IPA (instrument cluster). These instructions cycle very quickly with all the other critical messages you will have in your cluster, and they're easy to miss.
  • Leave your front windows open. This will make it easy to hear your tow truck guy if you are in the car, and also will allow you to open the car if it self-locks or some other problem happens.
  • Turn off "Walk-away Lock" if that is enabled. You do not want that on at any point when your car is getting on the truck, and/or when it gets to the dealer. That also is a buried menu item that is challenging to find when you are under stress.
  • Print out the tow guide from this forum, as well as the Tow Manual from Ford. Know this yourself, because as I found out today, you never know what will show up. My lovely tow truck partner knew no English, didn't give a #^#$% about the manual (because he didn't read in English), and he had no idea of what he was doing. Tow Guide documents here.
  • Get your FOB ready -- towing and dealers are incompatible with the world of PAAK. I am thinking I have to hide a key in my car in a metal bag somewhere accessible, because if I'm on a trip and something happens, really you are left giving the tow truck or the dealer your phone.

and

• In thinking back, I will never get in my car to do a tow like this. It's up to the driver to do the tow and I put myself in danger and let the tow driver do something stupid. I'm sure the tow company's insurance and Ford's policies don't allow for customers to be doing what that guy had me do.
Could you detail a bit more about what happens if somebody tow your car with a lift truck and your backwheels are drag along the ground?

I am wondering what if I parked illegally and got towed. Happened to my older car once, dont even know I cannot park there...

Thanks for sharing your painful and yet important towing experience with MachE

Behoff

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
”tow stickers” were mentioned a couple of times. What are they?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
”tow stickers” were mentioned a couple of times. What are they?
Why don't you click on the links he posted twice after two other people asked the same question?
Sponsored