Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I had to do this comparison. I was ROFL laughing earlier in the thread when some were saying how the Y looked like a whale and the Mach-e was so good looking. I've gone on record saying I like the looks of both, but I like the E slightly better. But to say the proportions of one are ugly and the other good looking shows a huge bias that obviously has blinded the poster. The Y and The E are almost identical in overall proportions. Except for the hood line which slopes down more on the Y, the two are virtually identical from a side profile. Here are three pics. A Y, An E, and the two overlaid.

Like I said before, I like them both, and they both look better in person than in pictures.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E vs Model Y -- Specs and Styling Compared Mach e
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E vs Model Y -- Specs and Styling Compared Y
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E vs Model Y -- Specs and Styling Compared Mach e Y overlay

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
Agree. There are some real ford fanboys here that bash many other non-ford EV's. I think the lack of much Mach E information has caused some too get silly. Kind of a shame.

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
@Nak
It's fine if you like it, but you don't need to try and make everybody else like it. Or tell them they secretly like it, but don't want to admit, for some reason. Especially about something that is subjective, so nobody is going to prove his/her point anyway.

Also, no, it doesn't take big changes to get something beautiful and turn it into an atrocity. What you dismiss as "except for the hood line", is the car's (and all of Teslas' in general) biggest issue. The hood is out of proportion with the rest of the car and it makes the whole thing look weird and ugly. I get why they're doing it, it just makes for ugly cars, at least with today's standards.

And not just that, they're making it worse by making the front door "bubblier" than the Mustang's (slightly higher and bigger window) which makes the contrast between hood and door look even bigger.

That, plus the "details" (styling cues like lights etc.) where the devil's usually hiding, make for a huge difference.

Finally, cars don't only have sides, you know!

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The Model Y prototype looked really weird to me. The production version is much better but the hood/front still looks odd. I'd get over it if I opt for one instead of the Mach-E but it would likely always remain a niggle on an otherwise good looking Tesla.

The Y's better range, acceleration and charging speed are all important metrics to me and after Tesla bumped the EPA range from 280 up to 316 miles for the LR AWD, it's a bit harder to justify the MME's purchase.

Hopefully Ford will close the range gap to Tesla. When initially announced, the Y had 280 mile range vs 270 miles for the Mach-E (4% difference). To close the gap, the AWD version will need to hit EPA 303 miles cuz as it stands now, we're 15% down on range which is a huge shortcoming.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The front view of the Y is what looks weird - the nose slopes way down on the Y whereas the E has a normal "car face". With the exaggerated shadows of those side shots it is less prevalent.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I do think the E is a better looking vehicle than the Y. It’s sleeker and not as frumpy looking. Let’s not forget about the interior where you spend all your time. IMO the E blows away the Y in terms of interior aesthetics and functionality. I’d have a hard time adjusting to the Y’s single screen for all my information. I’m sure I could do it, but if I don’t need to why would I?

I reserved the LR RWD, so I’m looking at what I hope is a minimum 300 mile range. That certainly beats out my 2017 S. As I’ve said before, with these electric cars’ very low center of gravity, I don’t hesitate going for RWD as opposed to AWD. It’s worked great on my S.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
I like the design of the Model S (and X) much more than the Model 3 and Y. I was interested and planned to get a Tesla because I love the futuristic design, drivetrain, and incredible performance. I was debating between a used Model S and a new or used Model 3. As soon as the Mach E came out I was loving the design, way more than the Model 3/Y. I immediately changed my tune and was on board the Mach E train. I'm not a Ford fanboy by any stretch although I did have a 1990 Mustang GT in the 90's for about 5 years.

Beauty is hugely in the eye of the beholder and as was said above, minor changes can make a big difference in how someone perceives beauty.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
LOL. I'm not "trying to make anyone like it". I really don't care. I just have to laugh when people call one a whale and bulbous and the other beautiful when the proportions are nearly identical. I get that some don't like the sloping hood on the Y, that's not what we're used too. I think the hood on the E gives it much more of a "muscle car" look that I like as well. On the other hand, that "normal" hood is part of the reason efficiency is so poor in comparison to the Y.

I like the E. A lot. I hope to see a lot of competition between Ford and Tesla. I understand that a lot of people find the E more attractive. I also find it hilarious that anyone can find one ugly and the other good looking. Sorry, but I do. I'm not trying to convince anyone. I'm not posting pictures of production Y's with aftermarket wheels. (OK, the E's wheels are WAY better looking than Tesla's... Thank God for aftermarket wheels.) But I will always find the ability of people to convince themselves of something based on their biases as funny as a Jim Gaffigan stand up.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'd bet much of the efficiency advantages that Tesla has compared to any other OEM is due to their experience with both motors and componentry current draw.

Compare/contrast exercises of the Model 3 motors against other EVs show just what a piece of magical engineering it is.

Tesla also has a lot of experience minimizing the amount of power required for all of their ancillary equipment in the car. So the computers, the HVAC system, etc are all built with the idea of using as little power as possible.

Additionally, Tesla has done a really good job of further optimizing things even after delivery. I fully expect we will get a lot of that ourselves in our cars.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd bet much of the efficiency advantages that Tesla has compared to any other OEM is due to their experience with both motors and componentry current draw.

I'm hoping Ford looks at the heat pump in the Y. By my testing it takes about a third less battery power than the resistive heating does in the 3. It's easily worth an extra 30 miles range and probably why the Y's EPA numbers got bumped up. Without it the Performance Y with upgrade would probably only get 250 miles of range in moderately cool temps. If Ford incorporated a heat pump, they could probably match the Y's range numbers across the board.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Additionally, Tesla has done a really good job of further optimizing things even after delivery.
Haha, you mean once they fix all the non latching Model Y hatches and misaligned seats. ? Looking at the QC on the Model Y from the various threads online... good grief.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Haha, you mean once they fix all the non latching Model Y hatches and misaligned seats. ? Looking at the QC on the Model Y from the various threads online... good grief.
Let's not confuse or conflate electronic hardware with seats and body panels.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
The Y's better range, acceleration and charging speed are all important metrics to me and after Tesla bumped the EPA range from 280 up to 316 miles for the LR AWD, it's a bit harder to justify the MME's purchase.

Hopefully Ford will close the range gap to Tesla. When initially announced, the Y had 280 mile range vs 270 miles for the Mach-E (4% difference). To close the gap, the AWD version will need to hit EPA 303 miles cuz as it stands now, we're 15% down on range which is a huge shortcoming.
I share your sentiments as well. The bigger implication of the estimated ranges from Ford is the lower implied efficiency. For some with higher utility rates, that can amount to significantly higher cost of ownership.
When the trims on the MME were announced, there was a lot of comparison to the various Model Y trims, and on the price. The range of the MME always looked low to me, given the battery sizes. I look at it this way- the battery is the heart of a BEV. Even the base model MME has a similar size battery to the LR versions of the MY. In theory the Select can have similar range to any of the LR MYs. When comparing across similar battery sizes, the cost of the MME is very comparable to the Y, not even factoring in the tax credit. It would be great if Ford is able to dial in the efficiency even more prior to delivery, that would seal the deal for me.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I share your sentiments as well. The bigger implication of the estimated ranges from Ford is the lower implied efficiency. For some with higher utility rates, that can amount to significantly higher cost of ownership.
When the trims on the MME were announced, there was a lot of comparison to the various Model Y trims, and on the price. The range of the MME always looked low to me, given the battery sizes. I look at it this way- the battery is the heart of a BEV. Even the base model MME has a similar size battery to the LR versions of the MY. In theory the Select can have similar range to any of the LR MYs. When comparing across similar battery sizes, the cost of the MME is very comparable to the Y, not even factoring in the tax credit. It would be great if Ford is able to dial in the efficiency even more prior to delivery, that would seal the deal for me.
I'm just spitballing here, but I'd guess the total efficiency of the MME is slightly better than what you'd see for a 2018 Tesla Model X 100D.

Tesla made some really big strides in motor efficiency between the Model S and the Model 3. We likely will not see a similar jump in efficiency until the next generation MME.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
I'm guessing that for those that actually look at their normal driving pattern, a lower range for the Mach E will not be the deciding factor unless all other factors leave them with a coin toss and the range pushes it to Tesla. We rarely drive far enough to make the range a factor and when it would be, a little planning should suffice. And especially if you have another ICE car in your driveway, range will not be a big issue for most people especially if you are talking 270 vs. 315 miles. kWh/mile would also be low on my list of considerations, but that may not be the case for others.
Sponsored