John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
My dad was a Ford retiree, and I have always bought Fords because of that DNA. I have been waiting for a Ford Electric that is a Tesla competitor, and the Mach E checks the boxes for me. Also . . . I don't know if I am the only one who thinks this way, but that Y is UGLY in the front. Reminds me of a catfish.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What I did not like in this comparison is, we are comparing EPA miles for the Tesla versus estimated numbers for the MachE. Would be good to see this comparison again, once the EPA numbers for MachE are published.
exactly. these kinds of comparisons are definitely premature, particularly given that the Ford numbers are "targets", which many (including myself) expect to be low-balled values that will certainly improve.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My dad was a Ford retiree, and I have always bought Fords because of that DNA. I have been waiting for a Ford Electric that is a Tesla competitor, and the Mach E checks the boxes for me. Also . . . I don't know if I am the only one who thinks this way, but that Y is UGLY in the front. Reminds me of a catfish.
Absolutely - the exterior "styling" looks like it was the last thing they got around to. The inside of the 3 and Y are supposed to be "understated", but just look ... cheap

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
below definitely personal opinion, but....

i donā€™t mind the clean design of the model 3 and Y interiors. in fact, the wood inlays remind me of my current 08 volvo. some would say that means itā€™s dated :)

but not including a front display was clearly for cost savings (S and X obviously have one).

and whatā€™s with the weird inside push button door lever and even the outside reverse direction door handle. iā€™m sure owners get used to it but is it such a design challenge to make them more ergonomic? i donā€™t mind redesigning things if thereā€™s a performance or other benefit, but i donā€™t see a clear reason for these tesla moves. if someone knows, would love to hear it - always love hearing reasons for design quirks. whereas i kind or get the mach-eā€™s wings ā€œhands fullā€ handle - although i still might remove them if an aftermarket kit comes out since i think itā€™ll look better without.

back to the tesla materials... the vegan leather of the 3 feels like cheap vinyl compared to real leather and the cushioning feels like cheap foam. they just donā€™t live up to the premium price (iā€™m super picky about seats coming from a volvo - in fact, i potentially would back out of the mach-e if the seats disappoint. they donā€™t need to be volvo level, but hopefully better than tesla). really hope fordā€™s version of vegan feels nicer...maybe the perforations will help? the vegan stuff may turnout to be super durable and environmental by sparing a few cows (sorry i still eat meat, but am cutting down) but i donā€™t mind some wear and patina to get the feel of real leather.

sure iā€™d love volvo level quality but even ford, mazda, subaru, or hyundai seem to be doing better interiors with better quality materials and theyā€™re not luxury brands.

besides the seats, is the steering wheel. while i donā€™t mind the smaller size (makes it feel even more video game-like driving the thing), again, i can tell it isnā€™t leather. if i bought a 3 or Y, i would put a custom leather steering wrap asap as a mod. and those little knobs, while functional, i dunno, to me they look cheap. like a knock-off video game controller or something. .

with that stock price, youā€™d think they could steal/hire a couple auto interior designers from vw/audi or even hyundai/kia.

i guess iā€™m not being entirely fair since 3/Y are their cheap cars.... supposedly they used mercedes parts for the S and X?

ok, enough bagging on tesla... covid19 boredom, sorry

Absolutely - the exterior "styling" looks like it was the last thing they got around to. The inside of the 3 and Y are supposed to be "understated", but just look ... cheap

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 GTPE
Country flag
Yep, concur. I passed on Model 3 twice and something about Y isnā€™t right. Plenty of used Sā€™s, and The potential cost of replacing batteries in 1/3 the cost of the car new!

Only mistake in Mach-e design is the cluster. Volvo is projecting driving info and following distance warning icon onto the windshield and that is so crazy wonderful.
My Mazda CX-5 does this. Itā€™s great.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 GTPE
Country flag
Correct me if I am wrong, but the base spec Model Y and the Performance Model Y both appear to be cheaper than the Mach-E equivalent? At least from a UK perspective.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'd take the e-tron as well, but I'm a boomer who's driven nothing but German cars for 40+ years. And you'd have to drag me screaming to get anywhere near that tower.

Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911/ ordered an MME-RWD 75kwh Iconic Silver + Technology PackPlus
Occupation
Manager non-important stuff
Country flag
Exactly!!! that Tesla 3 and Y model both look like an ugly Catfish/Jetsons flying car

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I'd take the e-tron as well, but I'm a boomer who's driven nothing but German cars for 40+ years. And you'd have to drag me screaming to get anywhere near that tower.
Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
i'd definitely go for an e-tron (even with 200-250 range) if they were in the $40k ballpark :)

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
i'd definitely go for an e-tron (even with 200-250 range) if they were in the $40k ballpark :)
at 250 miles, I might go for one at its real price. At 275 miles I'd be buying now.
Sponsored