Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not sure where you are getting a year early from. It's more like 3-6 months early.
Elon exaggerates in one direction, I exaggerate in the other :cool:

OK, so I am still annoyed that the $35k model 3 never happened, and it is galling that red paint costs $2000. In general I wish Musk well; I definitely am a fan of SpaceX and like that he is building his US Tesla models in the US - that is very important IMHO. I also applaud him pushing for Solar adoption, which is also hugely important. But, in terms of a BEV, I also think its important for Ford and other manufacturers to do well. Monopolies are never a good thing.
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Simple: Ford has said Mach-E will charge at 150kW, and Tesla has said the Model Y will charge at 250kW (Supercharger V3 rate of 250kW)...a lot faster.
V3 superchargers are "few" in numbers. The public does not know how long the Tesla Y will charge at 250kW before degrading to a slower rate. The public does not know if Ford is adjusting their software to allow higher than 150 kWh charging rates prior to its release in Fall 2020. The EA charging network CCS have a 150 to 350kWh capacity. It would make sense to enable more of this capacity.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Elon exaggerates in one direction, I exaggerate in the other :cool:

OK, so I am still annoyed that the $35k model 3 never happened, and it is galling that red paint costs $2000. In general I wish Musk well; I definitely am a fan of SpaceX and like that he is building his US Tesla models in the US - that is very important IMHO. I also applaud him pushing for Solar adoption, which is also hugely important. But, in terms of a BEV, I also think its important for Ford and other manufacturers to do well. Monopolies are never a good thing.
I heard you can get the $35K model 3, but you have to order it over the phone or at one of their stores instead of online because of the simplified web interface a few months after being available a year ago (and them not really wanting to sell the lower priced option). So it has lower range (220 vs 250) and 0-60 in 5.6 instead of 5.3. That said, maybe the option was only available for a limited time, but some definitely were able to get it, and I haven't seen anywhere it was completely discontinued, just kind of hidden...

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
V3 superchargers are "few" in numbers. The public does not know how long the Tesla Y will charge at 250kW before degrading to a slower rate. The public does not know if Ford is adjusting their software to allow higher than 150 kWh charging rates prior to its release in Fall 2020. The EA charging network CCS have a 150 to 350kWh capacity. It would make sense to enable more of this capacity.
Well since we're still a good 9 months away from the Mach-E seeing the light of day, there will be more V3 superchargers around by then (granted there will be more high capacity CCS chargers as well).

There is really no reason to think that the Model Y will operate any differently than a Model 3 since it is going to use the same powertrain...basically.

The Mach-E is the unknown here.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Well since we're still a good 9 months away from the Mach-E seeing the light of day, there will be more V3 superchargers around by then (granted there will be more high capacity CCS chargers as well).

There is really no reason to think that the Model Y will operate any differently than a Model 3 since it is going to use the same powertrain...basically.

The Mach-E is the unknown here.
I don't need the Mach-E to meet or beat the Model Y on some or all of the specs. I just want it to be close enough that I don't care. With the current published specs, the Mach-E AWD ER is now being distanced significantly on every objective measurable point by the Model Y LR dual motor and I can't ignore it. Range, acceleration, charging time and charging network are all not in the Mustang Mach-E's favor. Fortunately, we have plenty of time for Ford to react to the cards Tesla has laid down. I know my Mach-E will be obsolete in five years. I just don't want it to be obsolete before delivery.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I do know that Tesla has previously increased the buffer in the Model 3 to improve battery life. People seemed to have adjusted and moved on.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No other explanation for this. No details on anything else.
Well, how about if the initial 280 mile figure at introduction was Tesla just being safe and conservative. Now with more testing complete and probably EPA estimates done, they find that range is actually better. Until fairly recently, Tesla advertised the long range AWD Model 3 as having a 300 mile range, but now that 2020 EPA estimate are out, they've bumped that to 322. Sure, they might have tweaked the battery buffer, but I seriously doubt they did 35 miles of tweaking.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Well, how about if the initial 280 mile figure at introduction was Tesla just being safe and conservative. Now with more testing complete and probably EPA estimates done, they find that range is actually better. Until fairly recently, Tesla advertised the long range AWD Model 3 as having a 300 mile range, but now that 2020 EPA estimate are out, they've bumped that to 322. Sure, they might have tweaked the battery buffer, but I seriously doubt they did 35 miles of tweaking.
They also bumped down the P3D from 310mi to 299mi. I don't see how the PYD can still get 315mi the same as the Y LR AWD.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They also bumped down the P3D from 310mi to 299mi. I don't see how the PYD can still get 315mi the same as the Y LR AWD.
If you go to the website right now, the Model 3 performance shows 322 miles because they are only showing the 18-inch wheels. EPA estimate with 20-inch wheels is 299 miles, but Tesla isn't offering that at the moment.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
No other explanation for this. No details on anything else.
I don't know the answer, and nobody outside of Tesla does it seems. But certainly there are possibilities. The frame/lower body of the Y is NOT the same as the 3. In fact it's a big deal how Tesla is going to be able to fabricate that as one piece as opposed to dozens of parts. It's very possible--likely is my guess--that there's room for a bit more battery capacity now in the Y. That's allowing them to get the same range--280 miles--with 21" wheels that they were expecting from 20" wheels. The jump to 315 miles is probably a combination of the 19" Gemini wheels and higher battery capacity. Tesla has shown that wheel size above 19" makes a pretty big dent in range.
Sponsored