Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Tesla might be reducing their buffer but keep in mind the warranty is still the same. If they make changes that cause premature failures it will cost them.

Price is often the most decisive issue. The E is about $5K less than the Y for me after fed + state incentives.

However, the Y may have more range, more space, better acceleration and has the Supercharger network.
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Tesla has announced the Model Y LR AWD will have a range of 315 miles. That's significantly more than equivalent Mustang Mach-E AWD ER.
That 315 mile range is now on the Model Y page of Tesla.com along with confirmation that deliveries will start in March.
What’s more impressive (if accurate) is that the performance model at under $57k is also listed with a range of 315 miles — that certainly is more than the Mach-E GT Performance with the expected same 0-60 acceleration.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That 315 mile range is now on the Model Y page of Tesla.com along with confirmation that deliveries will start in March.
What’s more impressive (if accurate) is that the performance model at under $57k is also listed with a range of 315 miles — that certainly is more than the Mach-E GT Performance with the expected same 0-60 acceleration.
Counterpoint: If true that the Y starts shipping in March, it represents an acceleration of their schedule by almost a year. That doesn't bode well for QC and long term testing. Nonetheless, good for them. As for me, I would prefer Ford not rush the Mach E into the field; I don't want be a beta tester.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Is the 315 range "stated" in a "reduced" performance mode as in the "whisper" mode for the Mach E? Going to the Y order site, ordering a red color and white interior will boost the price to $63,990. A black interior reduces this to by $1000.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Is the 315 range "stated" in a "reduced" performance mode as in the "whisper" mode for the Mach E? Going to the Y order site, ordering a red color and white interior will boost the price to $63,990. A black interior reduces this to by $1000.
If you are looking at dollars for performance, the Mach E makes the most since the GT is cheaper than the performance Model Y. That being said, the performance Model Y gives you 80 miles more range than the Mustang.

I think the sweet spot is the LW AWD Model Y is the sweet spot because you get the sub-5 second 0-60 and 300+ mile range for $53k. I wish Ford offered that middle option instead of having to go from 5.5 to 3.x 0-60. I guess with the tax break on the base GT it’s about the same price, although you have about 65 miles less range and we don’t know what the cost to add options such as the glass roof will cost to add on.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
315 > 270
I'm really hoping that Ford's conservative development promises translate to an EPA range of 300 miles or more. As it stands now, the Model Y will have more range and far faster charging. It's not a selling point for Ford.
Not sure how you make this statement.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would question the range any Tesla Performance model will obtain as if they are going to drive it as a hyper-miler would.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think the sweet spot is the LW AWD Model Y is the sweet spot because you get the sub-5 second 0-60 and 300+ mile range for $53k. I wish Ford offered that middle option instead of having to go from 5.5 to 3.x 0-60. I guess with the tax break on the base GT it’s about the same price, although you have about 65 miles less range and we don’t know what the cost to add options such as the glass roof will cost to add on.
For sure, but I am just saying something smells a little fishy with this:
  1. Tesla had the range estimated at 280mi with AWD for delivery in about a year from now
  2. Ford announces the Mach E with a 270 mile range in the same price bracket and performance
  3. Tesla ups the range by 12.5% and releases the Y a year early
It just feels like Musk realized the E was going to be serious competition for the Y and got on his engineers to suddenly up the spec and get it on the market before the E could start to make headway. As for the E, the range is still a target estimate - who knows what the actual range determination will be when the EPA does their thing with it. Ford very well may decide to play the same games, and I am not sure how I feel about it. I will likely keep the battery between 15% and 80% SOC anyway, so if the buffer is smaller for when I take a longer trip it is nice to be able to use much more of that battery. The other way Tesla gets their range up is to build the frame from aluminum, which is why I was shocked when I called Geico for a quote for a model 3 - it was 60% higher than what I am paying for my other cars. At first I thought that was because it was electric, so I had them run a quote with the premium Bolt and that was only about 10% higher than my ICE's (including my mustang convertible).

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I build a performance Model Y (without the additional performance upgrade with 155 mph top speed and 21” wheels, and without premium metallic colors or the optional white interior), it still comes in below $61k. That gives you the 315 mile range with 3.5 sec 0-60 that you would need the GT Performance to match. We don’t know how much the GT Performance will cost, but we do know that it will be extra and more so if you want a glass roof that the Model Y includes.
So it’s only the tax break that “might” make the GT Performance cheaper than the Model Y Performance model. Even assuming that the GT Performance still gets the same 250 miles, it does come in 65 miles short of the Model Y.
That is all I was pointing out.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
If I build a performance Model Y (without the additional performance upgrade with 155 mph top speed and 21” wheels, and without premium metallic colors or the optional white interior), it still comes in below $61k. That gives you the 315 mile range with 3.5 sec 0-60 that you would need the GT Performance to match. We don’t know how much the GT Performance will cost, but we do know that it will be extra and more so if you want a glass roof that the Model Y includes.
So it’s only the tax break that “might” make the GT Performance cheaper than the Model Y Performance model. Even assuming that the GT Performance still gets the same 250 miles, it does come in 65 miles short of the Model Y.
I believe the GT performance only gets 235...or rather that’s what the published estimate is today.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that is correct. When one matches color-can't get the GT in white, add $2000 to the Y price.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe the GT performance only gets 235...or rather that’s what the published estimate is today.
Well... that does widen the range gap to 80 miles. There’s no question in my mind that Tesla still leads in efficiency.
Having said all that, I’m still waiting for the GT Performance for many of the reasons others have already voiced in the previous comments (and I keep my fingers crossed that the unannounced GT color will be a Bullitt green).

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
This discussion thread has been quite illuminating. It seems to me that just like ICE, there will be a variety of options to meet the specific requirements of buyers. I understand that efficiency, range, speed of charging, 0-60 stats are important factors and should be considered. I mean why does a customer buy a 14mpg heavy SUV while someone else buy a Prius hybrid? For their specific tastes.

From my lay perspective, I like EVERYTHING about the Mach E. Yes, I wish it were just as efficient as the Tesla or as luxurious as the eTron. However, this is the car I want and feel happy with the price to value proposition. Again, the only thing that would steer me away is if the 270 mile FE ends up being 200 mile. That is a HUGE difference that is intolerable. I'm ok with 245 as I only drive an average of 40 miles per day which would be 90 percent of my use.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Not sure how you make this statement.
Simple: Ford has said Mach-E will charge at 150kW, and Tesla has said the Model Y will charge at 250kW (Supercharger V3 rate of 250kW)...a lot faster.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Counterpoint: If true that the Y starts shipping in March, it represents an acceleration of their schedule by almost a year. That doesn't bode well for QC and long term testing. Nonetheless, good for them. As for me, I would prefer Ford not rush the Mach E into the field; I don't want be a beta tester.
Not sure where you are getting a year early from. It's more like 3-6 months early.
Sponsored